• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Lakers @ Kings 10/30/15

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lal.png@sac.png

0-1..................0-1

TV: TWC SN
7:00 PM PT

Line: SAC -6

Los Angeles Lakers
coach Byron Scott wants the ball to be in D'Angelo Russell's hands a lot more. Having it go in the basket would also help.

Russell is expected to take charge at the point while Kobe Bryant looks to improve his rusty scoring touch as the Lakers visit the Sacramento Kings on Friday night.

Los Angeles fell 112-111 to visiting Minnesota after Lou Williams missed a 4-foot runner at the buzzer in Wednesday's opener.

The Lakers, however, came away more worried about Russell's involvement. The rookie guard finished with four points, three rebounds and two assists, finding himself moved off the point in favor of the quicker and more aggressive Jordan Clarkson.

Scott plans to have Russell run the team a lot more against Sacramento.

"I really just wanted to up the tempo with Jordan pushing," Scott told the Lakers' official website. "(Russell is) probably a little bit better of a decision-maker, even at 19 years old and being in his rookie year. So we want him on the ball right now, and then we go to either side and we've got Kobe or Jordan."

Bryant led the Lakers with 24 points. However, he made 8 of 24 from the floor -- 3 of 13 from 3-point range -- while missing his final eight shots in his return from a torn rotator cuff that kept him out since January.

"That timing will come back," said Bryant, who averaged 31.0 points over his last 14 meetings with the Kings.

He's not the only one trying to improve from the field as the Lakers shot 37.6 percent -- 9 for 35 from beyond the arc -- against the Timberwolves.

Julius Randle, though, gave Los Angeles reason for optimism. The forward had 15 points and 11 rebounds, exactly one year after a broken leg in his NBA debut ended his season.

The Lakers, who dropped their first five games of 2014-15, are trying to avoid losing four straight to the Kings for the first time since 1993-94.

Sacramento is facing the possibility of its worst start since going 0-3 in 2012-13. The Kings fell 111-104 to the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday in the opener of their final season at Sleep Train Arena.

Bouncing back will require doing a better job with the ball. Sacramento had 18 turnovers with 12 coming in the first half.

"At first we played terrible," said center DeMarcus Cousins, who had eight turnovers -- one shy of his career high. "The turnovers killed us, especially on my end. We could have done a better job sharing the ball. But that being said, we had a great chance of winning the ballgame."

Cousins, however, made his presence felt with 32 points and 13 rebounds. He also showed some stunning shooting range, sinking 4 of 5 from behind the arc after going 11 for 69 in his first 350 games.

"I'm just building confidence behind it," Cousins said. "I think it will help the team spread the floor."

Sacramento has won six of the last eight meetings at home while averaging 105.1 points and shooting 48.2 percent.
Lakers-Kings Preview

Last edited:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after dropping our opener(which we had NO business doing) hoping for a better showing tonight. road game, so coming out aggressive won't hurt...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott plans to have Russell run the team a lot more against Sacramento.

"I really just wanted to up the tempo with Jordan pushing," Scott told the Lakers' official website. "(Russell is) probably a little bit better of a decision-maker, even at 19 years old and being in his rookie year. So we want him on the ball right now, and then we go to either side and we've got Kobe or Jordan."

Read about this in the paper. Apparently, he wanted to take some pressure off of Russell and thought Clarkson would push the pace. Instead, it took Russell out of the offense because it wasn't the role he's been playing all off-season. Glad Byron recognized the mistake early. If we're going to start the kid, then give him the damn keys to the car. If he drives it into a ditch or takes out a couple of stop signs or a neighbors mailbox, he'll learn from it.

Julius Randle, though, gave Los Angeles reason for optimism. The forward had 15 points and 11 rebounds, exactly one year after a broken leg in his NBA debut ended his season.

Seems the whole team loved the fact that Randle didn't allow KG to intimidate him. Clarkson said he knew Randle wouldn't back down from anyone and Kobe said he "responded like a grown ass man."

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad this was only a one game experiment with Russell playing at SG. Give him the keys to car as you say TF12. Let him make mistakes. He'll learn. It's part of the developmental process.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad this was only a one game experiment with Russell playing at SG. Give him the keys to car as you say TF12. Let him make mistakes. He'll learn. It's part of the developmental process.

Yep. I see this as similar to Seattle/OKC with Durant and then Westbrook. They played and took their lumps for a couple of seasons. But it paid off well. I think the Lakers need to take the same approach.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Mel Daniels. He died.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. It was so effing stupid to take a kid that's played PG he entire life and is projected as PG for the rest of his life and then tell him to stand off to the side as a 2 guard. And that's on top of a full season of Clarkson last year looking better as the 2 guard. There was just no explanation for that. I don't care if Russell has 20 turnovers. Leave him at PG

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. It was so effing stupid to take a kid that's played PG he entire life and is projected as PG for the rest of his life and then tell him to stand off to the side as a 2 guard. And that's on top of a full season of Clarkson last year looking better as the 2 guard. There was just no explanation for that. I don't care if Russell has 20 turnovers. Leave him at PG

I think Byron was thinking along the lines of bringing him along slowly like they did with Kobe. Glad he figured out that it's not a good idea after 1 game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will only be able to see the first half as its already 2am here and I start work at 9!

Like I've said all along, I don't really care about the result, I just want to see a good game from Randle, Russell and Clarkson.

But as its the Queens I say FUCK THEM, GO LAKERS!!!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want to defend Cousins? No? Okay...

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is freaking awful!

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a real offense. 18 3s with 4:30 to go in the first half. Jacking up 3s is not a winning strategy.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a real offense. 18 3s with 4:30 to go in the first half. Jacking up 3s is not a winning strategy.
No way should this team play this bad against Sacramento Kings. The boxing out is terrible. No offensive flow at all, just one on one stuff. What is Byron teaching them in practice? This team looks worst then Don't know Any. Hope this igame is just an aberration. It looks a first preseason game for them.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this play continues for a few more games its time for a new coach

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1