• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kudos to Bob Stoops

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also, in his press conference, touched on the connection and commitment he had with Joe's parents.

They, along with many more, entrust their children to this man and his staff with the hopes that they will always be working with their children's best interests in mind. Sometimes tough decision will have to be made, and I will always stand behind Bob Stoops and trust he will make the right decision.

The oh-so-easy way to have dealt with all of this is to have kicked him off of the team. Dust your hands off and go find another RB. I think Bob Stoops should be commended for all he has done, and will continue to do for these CHILDREN. Joe was given the opportunity to transfer free and clear rather than face the consequences and punishment. He chose to stay, and from what I've heard he was seriously thinking about going back west but his folks said no, you stay and face the music.

It's easy to pile on.

Let's not forget that Bob Stoops was voted as the coach ALL OTHER CFB COACHES would pick as the coach to coach their children.

Every coach in the CFB are entrusted with other people's CHILDREN. They are paid 6 and 7 figure salaries to coach other people's CHILDREN.

If you think Stoops decided not to kick Mixon off the team, because he had Mixon's best interest at heart -- you are clueless. He didn't kick him off the team for one reason -- Mixon was a 5 star top 20 in the country recruit

You think it was a coincidence that the punishment given to Mixon, equated to the exact same amount of time he'd have to sit out if he went elsewhere?

Also -- the ONLY reason he made a statement saying "he would have done it differently now" is because he knows the shit storm was coming, now that the public got to see the video.

And you can continue to repeat how other coaches would want their kids to play for him -- but I GUARANTEE if you ask that same question today -- He may not receive a single vote, especially if the coach has a daughter.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tom Osborne hadn't given Lawrence Phillips a 2nd and 3rd chance, he never would have turned out as great as he did.

Seriously
You have to give these guys some 2nd chances.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it as Bob just see's that society is changing. No longer is it about giving second chances or hopefully mentoring/developing kids that come from shitty backgrounds. Society has changed, it's one and done and you are labeled for life. There is a reason why they are building more prisons than schools.

I disagree. Players are given 2nd and 3rd chances all the time. If you are struggling with grades -- they will give you a chance to get them up. If you smoke pot or get caught drinking -- you will face a penalty, but you will be given another chance.

What Mixon did wasn't a college kid making college kid mistakes. He could have easily been charged with felonious assault on a WOMAN (which makes it 100 times worse). If this were a guy he punched -- no one would have batted an eye on whatever punishment was handed out.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tom Osborne hadn't given Lawrence Phillips a 2nd and 3rd chance, he never would have turned out as great as he did.

Seriously
You have to give these guys some 2nd chances.

Exactly. Imagine if Urban Meyer hadn't turned a blind eye to Aaron Hernandez. He wouldn't be the exemplary citizen he has become. :yes:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented kid. Shouldn't have his life ruined because of one mistake.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rant ON/

I am so tired of everyone wanting to throw people away for making mistakes. My Dad started doing something 50 years ago that I have continued to do: we hire a fair number of people who have just gotten out of prison. Yea, they are usually the lowest jobs we have (working in various business as janitors, assistants, laborers, etc.) but at least they are working......and 95% of the time doing a helluva good job. We are investors in a lot of companies and we use those companies as job sources for people who have done their time. A lot of them even move up and in a few cases have ended up as managers for many years and then retired. I'm no fucking saint but I know people deserve a second chance. We have rules and drug testing but until someone has messed up on our time we give them the benefit of the doubt. We hire the blacks, browns, whites, yellows, straights, gays, ugly, attractive, fat, skinny, limited ability, high potential people who just want to start over. Sometimes they are white collar types who can move right into an office job. Bottom line, to hell with everyone wanting to see people suffer for the rest of their lives without them getting a chance to redeem themselves. I mean it. Fuck'em!

Rant OFF/

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Imagine if Urban Meyer hadn't turned a blind eye to Aaron Hernandez. He wouldn't be the exemplary citizen he has become. :yes:

Pretty sure AH didn't turn into a killer until he got to the NFL. But I understand why you'd blame Meyer 100% for what he did after he became Tom Brady's teammate. I wouldn't be surprised if you blame Meyer for what Joe Mixon did as well.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bob Stoops should have to make his daughter date Joe Mixon if he wants to play him.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...does this mean that we can bid on who gets to fuck Malzahn's daughter?
No we are making her date the QB Malzahn plays hoping he doesn't want her to date an idiot/loser.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah well your coach is a fucking flake who likes to have sleepovers with young men.

I don't hate Stoops at all. Just speaking the truth. I'd be saying the same thing if it were Harbaugh.

Stoops just so happens to be the latest coach to show a kid, you can do pretty much anything short of killing someone and we will welcome you back with open arms, as long as you can help me win football games. Yet I bet if I looked up OU kicks player off the football team -- I'd find multiple instances where it has happened. The difference -- those guys weren't 5 star RB's.

Rest easy OU, it is only a matter of time before the next coach turns a blind eye to a top recruit and focus will go on them.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it as Bob just see's that society is changing. No longer is it about giving second chances or hopefully mentoring/developing kids that come from shitty backgrounds. Society has changed, it's one and done and you are labeled for life. There is a reason why they are building more prisons than schools.

Yes, you can longer claim to be Father Flanigan trying to save the impoverished kids that run a 4.5..so glad that BS is done

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, just my experience with life and the things I do in reference to seeing other side of the tracts. Stoops is the longest tenured coach in college football, he has walked in a lot of doors and walked in a lot of neighborhoods.

It's nearly impossible to grow up and be a productive member of society when your dad is in prison if you know who he is, your mom brings multiple men home, who beat you and her. The guy's with everything are right infont of your house or apartment complex slinging crap. Kid's getting pregnant. It's just hard, in my opinion just to tell them "you just need to act right" without being a true mentor. Someone willing to be around kids in both good times and bad. Someone to be around when he get's some girl pregnant, or hasn't gone to class in a few days. Coach's see's these kids with all this talent and shitty circumstances, and if they can just remotely steer them down a right path and show them there is a better way. Not all coach's but many. I've seen more kids with D-1 talent than anyone on OU's, Alabama or USC squad but they are literally lost and don't know there is truly a better way in life an out.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate Stoops at all. Just speaking the truth. I'd be saying the same thing if it were Harbaugh.

Stoops just so happens to be the latest coach to show a kid, you can do pretty much anything short of killing someone and we will welcome you back with open arms, as long as you can help me win football games. Yet I bet if I looked up OU kicks player off the football team -- I'd find multiple instances where it has happened. The difference -- those guys weren't 5 star RB's.

Rest easy OU, it is only a matter of time before the next coach turns a blind eye to a top recruit and focus will go on them.

Stoops kicked 5 star Rhett Bomar off the team when he was our starting QB and it left us in a lot bigger hole than if he had kicked Joe Mixon off the team. Bomar's violation was taking some chump change for a no-show job. There have been other 4 and 5 star players who got the boot over the past 17 years. Every coach is faced with these situations.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rant ON/

I am so tired of everyone wanting to throw people away for making mistakes. My Dad started doing something 50 years ago that I have continued to do: we hire a fair number of people who have just gotten out of prison. Yea, they are usually the lowest jobs we have (working in various business as janitors, assistants, laborers, etc.) but at least they are working......and 95% of the time doing a helluva good job. We are investors in a lot of companies and we use those companies as job sources for people who have done their time. A lot of them even move up and in a few cases have ended up as managers for many years and then retired. I'm no fucking saint but I know people deserve a second chance. We have rules and drug testing but until someone has messed up on our time we give them the benefit of the doubt. We hire the blacks, browns, whites, yellows, straights, gays, ugly, attractive, fat, skinny, limited ability, high potential people who just want to start over. Sometimes they are white collar types who can move right into an office job. Bottom line, to hell with everyone wanting to see people suffer for the rest of their lives without them getting a chance to redeem themselves. I mean it. Fuck'em!

Rant OFF/

I have said I am fine with 2nd chances when they are deserved. I have 2 conditions
1. You accept the responsibility of bringing in a high risk kid. Don't duck the heat if it goes wrong.
2. Do not pretend you are doing it for altruistic reasons. We know why you are doing it.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, just my experience with life and the things I do in reference to seeing other side of the tracts. Stoops is the longest tenured coach in college football, he has walked in a lot of doors and walked in a lot of neighborhoods.

It's nearly impossible to grow up and be a productive member of society when your dad is in prison if you know who he is, your mom brings multiple men home, who beat you and her. The guy's with everything are right infont of your house or apartment complex slinging crap. Kid's getting pregnant. It's just hard, in my opinion just to tell them "you just need to act right" without being a true mentor. Someone willing to be around kids in both good times and bad. Someone to be around when he get's some girl pregnant, or hasn't gone to class in a few days. Coach's see's these kids with all this talent and shitty circumstances, and if they can just remotely steer them down a right path and show them there is a better way. Not all coach's but many. I've seen more kids with D-1 talent than anyone on OU's, Alabama or USC squad but they are literally lost and don't know there is truly a better way in life an out.

Oh god are you really playing this card? high school coaches fill this role, college coaches are rich guys trying to win games and stay rich. Rhett bomar sucked so he wasn't granted one of Saint stoops second chances.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops kicked 5 star Rhett Bomar off the team when he was our starting QB and it left us in a lot bigger hole than if he had kicked Joe Mixon off the team. Bomar's violation was taking some chump change for a no-show job. There have been other 4 and 5 star players who got the boot over the past 17 years. Every coach is faced with these situations.

He had no choice NCAA was after him and he took money. It is not just Stoops, very few people act unless forced. See Baylor