• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings maybe looking at Kovalchuck

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Ovechkin or kovalchuk

on another team

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capitals not ruling out trade of Alex Ovechkin: Three potential destinations

Not really a well thought out article, but the topic is interesting. The Capitals have a lot of young talent that they don't want to expose in the Expansion Draft, and they will have some serious cap decisions this summer, so it makes sense to at least look at moving your most expensive piece.

That being said, would there be scenario that you could possibly see where LA could make a run at Ovechkin?

Talking about moving Brown, Toffoli, and our 1st round pick this year for Ovechkin. That opens LA's window for probably 2-3 more years in my opinion.

I don't know, just thinking thoughts as the season winds down.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that people think he chokes, but I really thought he looked good the past few years. That save by Fleury in Game 7 on Ovechkin was luck. Ovechkin dropped down on that one-timer and got all of it, and it went off the upper shaft of Fleury's stick, and out of play. They showed Fleury and he was just laughing. You have to be good, but you also have to be lucky to win the cup. Pretty much like a milder version of poker.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks. Its not even that he chokes, its that he doesn't have a play to win mentality. He plays for himself, sure the last few seasons he has played "better" playoff hockey but anything going on in the Holtby side of the ice he could really care less about. I would hate to move TT that everyone is down on, he was still 3rd on the team in goals while playing hurt and missing 20? games.....and that was a bad year for him. TT has always been a goal scorer his entire career and a "+" player even in bad team years. Why you all want to get rid of him is at the very least questionable and will be sorry when he is gone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to move TT that everyone is down on, he was still 3rd on the team in goals while playing hurt and missing 20? games.....and that was a bad year for him. TT has always been a goal scorer his entire career and a "+" player even in bad team years. Why you all want to get rid of him is at the very least questionable and will be sorry when he is gone.

I guess I'm just hoping he signs for a good number, and am preparing for him maybe not. I was really impressed with the Pearson numbers, so maybe it all works out for Toffoli. That all being said, Toffoli had a really good 2014 Playoff on "That 80's line", and a 30 goal effort in 2015, but has been pretty absent for most of the time other than that. He is a nice complimentary piece in my opinion, but he is nothing close to that effectiveness without Carter as his center. So the fear for me is that you sign Toffoli for 4-5 (or more) years, and Carter only has 3 or so good years left, then what is Toffoli's effectiveness really? I just feel like the game is getting faster and faster, and we've seen him get eaten alive by teams (Notably San Jose).

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it a lot differently then most of you, TT has ALWAYS been a scorer at every level of his career and most of that was Carterless. I am not sure what you mean that accept for 2015 he has been absent....He was hurt this season and still got 16g, the season before that 31g which is something we don't get to see often in LA and his "sophomore slump" season was 23 which I guess is low but was good enough for 3rd on a team with names like Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik.....I think you guys are being hard on one of the few goal scorers the Kings have. he has been 3rd, 1st and 3rd in goal scoring for the Kings the last 3 seasons and one of them he missed 20 games....Sure Pearson managed 8 more goals in 20 more games while TT was hurt and had his best season as a King. TT will be fine and score with or without Carter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that he has value, I just sincerely don't know what that value truly is. He's a goal scorer, except when we needed him against San Jose last year, and all of this year (He was hurt for some of it for sure, but he is in a large group of guys who we are finding out were "hurt" and we all have no idea who was hurt or just terrible this year - Gaborik, Martinez both with big surgeries. Toffoli, Kopitar I have no idea. Brown just Brown). My argument is only that we can't pay everyone everything all of the time, and that's sort of it. If Toffoli signs for a good number, then that's great, but if he won't, then I'm prepared for that too. You can't just look at like "I want this guy", you have to look at it like "I want this guy MORE than this other guy or guys" (Example being that Kopitar making $10mil/year means you don't get to keep Williams anymore).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is it. Once Toffoli signs, that's it for the wiggle room. This is going to be the same team we've had for the past 3 years that has missed the Playoffs twice and been ousted in 5 games the other year.

Will that work? It might. Healthy Quick (Theoretically), plus a developing young defensive core is your base. Then you hope for Kopitar to reemerge this summer, Gaborik to fix his ailments, Martinez to recover from his chronic hamstring issues, and to find some effective bottom 6 guys.

Goals against was still pretty good this year, but they need to find just enough more scoring, and I don't know how they are going to do that with how up against the cap they are.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess if scoring is a problem I don't think getting rid of a proven scorer helps. I guess Ovy is definitely your choice then, he will get you some goals....Not much in playoff success but we can cheer more goals. I get that TT didn't get a goal in the 1 series where the whole team was outstanding but he let them down and he only had 20 points in 38 PO games the previous seasons....which is very low for Kings players, but I still think it would be a huge mistake to let him go....

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that people think he chokes, but I really thought he looked good the past few years. That save by Fleury in Game 7 on Ovechkin was luck. Ovechkin dropped down on that one-timer and got all of it, and it went off the upper shaft of Fleury's stick, and out of play. They showed Fleury and he was just laughing. You have to be good, but you also have to be lucky to win the cup. Pretty much like a milder version of poker.

Ovechkin outplayed Crosby in their playoff series last year. He was injured this year.

I'd love to see him in a King's sweater but don't see how that could work with the cap situation the Kings are in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more of a starting point for a debate about Ovechkin (I'm not even sold that Washington is seriously looking to move him). The Kings had the same questions with Carter and Gaborik, and they came over in the Kings system and thrived, because all this team needs is a pure goal scorer. Even if Ovechkin somehow regressed to 25 goals per year, that would be massive for this team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we're looking at the same exact situation differently. You would look at it like losing Toffoli, and I would look at it like gaining cap space.

I mean, a serious question is are you okay with icing the same exact team as last year?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, for the sake of debate, I posed this trade because it has a few layers to it.

"Talking about moving Brown, Toffoli, and our 1st round pick this year for Ovechkin. That opens LA's window for probably 2-3 more years in my opinion".

Toffoli and the draft pick are the incentive for Washington. LA gets the cap relief from Brown, and not signing Toffoli, as well as the player in Ovechkin.

Also, Ovechkin has 4 years left on his deal at $9,538,462. Brown is at $5,875,000 for 5 more years. That difference is $3,663,462, which is probably a lot less than Toffoli will cost. So you net out $2mil (My guess) and Ovechkin. Use the cap to make more moves.

In hindsight, if Washington needs cap relief, they probably aren't doing this trade anyway.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not my fault the Kings are stupid with their cap, I started worrying about it years ago just for this reason. You guys all said we need to keep everyone and they deserve the money...well here you go. Count me out on the Ovy bandwagon, no I wouldn't rather have him than TT and Brown + whatever. I don't know why you think he will open the window for another cup, he has never been able to do it in the past with much better talent around him. Plus playing in the Pacific would probably end his career, its a different style and while he likes to hit he is going to get demolished and knocked off his game easily IMO. In fact I just looked and he was a -7 against the pacific in 14 games....that isn't so good even for a stat that isn't worth much. Plus why would the caps want Brown?

Loosing a top young scorer because you need a top scorer seems like you end up in the same place.....needing a scorer. He will probably get moved and be a consistent 30g player, but you probably wont get Ovy for him

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moot point now. Toffoli signed. Not too bad of a number either.

I feel like I am one of the only ones not trying to sign everyone by the way.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's decent, was hoping closer to 4...but no big deal. I don't mind giving money to players, but you have to be careful and identify who are the correct ones...something Lombardi was not good at

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things killed the Kings' masterful 2 Cups in 3 years run: (1) Voynov's suspension with no replacement and (2) Lombardi not buying out Richards originally when he could have. If either 1 or 2 don't occur, and especially if neither happened, we'd still be celebrating.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's decent, was hoping closer to 4...but no big deal. I don't mind giving money to players, but you have to be careful and identify who are the correct ones...something Lombardi was not good at

Yeah, it's so complex overall. Obviously, we all want the same thing, and we all just put in our two cents on how to get there. Lombardi's main thing was he was just too loyal, which is hard to fault on a moral standpoint, but easy to criticize in a results driven business.