• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

kentucky looks loaded

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the hype they got last yr was over the top but this team looks like a legit beast. I watched their game against Puerto rico's national b team today. their bench might be better than their starting 5

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they definitely are loaded, no argument there. And they will not struggle at the beginning near as much as they did last year. Instead of a fresh starting 5 with 4 freshmen and a sophomore (like last year), they will be starting 3 starters from last year's runner-up team, another who was on that team, and only one freshmen. It will be a much more conducive and experienced squad than last year. They won't have to learn to play together for the first time. And again, 9 McDonald's AAs is a pretty good rotation.

All of that being said, I am still very excited for the season. I don't think we can just hand the trophy to UK just yet. Wisky, AZ, and even some teams like MSU, and Duke will be in the mix. Hell, there will even be a surprise team or two that puts it together (a la UCONN, last year). It's good to see that even after such a loaded draft, that teams will be improving from the previous year, and, in spite of losing elite players from last year.

BearDownUA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that front line isn't even fair going 6 quality players deep: Poythress, WCS, Johnson, Lyles, Towns Jr, Marcus Lee

and Ulis is looking terrific as well in the backcourt

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky is the team to beat right now. It will be interesting as the season progresses how Calipari meshes the old superstars with the new superstars.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that WCS and Lyles haven't played and they've still looked that good is amazing to me. They are gonna have so much depth, foul trouble should never be an issue. They can go small with Ulis and the Twins out together, or they can roll with the Twins and three 6'10''s. Gonna be a beast to match up with

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky looks flat out scary sick. I just hope my Horns get drawn in a different bracket than them come March. Actually I think Texas is one of the few teams who could possibly match up with them (size wise) - with Holmes, Prince Ibeh, Ridley, and now Miles Turner. However, it is the last team right now I want to have to see us matched up against.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just takes one bad game though in NCAA. If it was series, then you could possibly put their name on the trophy already. Duke supposedly has 9 mcdonalds All Americans as well. As far as Texas, I'm not positive but I think uk plays them in non conference.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just takes one bad game though in NCAA. If it was series, then you could possibly put their name on the trophy already. Duke supposedly has 9 mcdonalds All Americans as well. As far as Texas, I'm not positive but I think uk plays them in non conference.

That's right. Or, a coaching mistake that another elite coach/team exploits. That's what makes it madness!

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right. Or, a coaching mistake that another elite coach/team exploits. That's what makes it madness!

Or a key injury. Anything can and will usually happen. Rarely does a team go wire to wire.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say though, it is very surprising to see them play so well this early. Bilas says the competition is pretty good. Some of those guys do look strong. I never saw this type of offensive play last season even when they were at their best supposedly. A few have forced some shots, but for the most part they look so unselfish right now.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll still take Arizona's top 7 players over any 7 in the country. Add the fact that we've got Pitts, Victor and PJC (all top 100 recruits) not even in our top 7 I think we are the only team that can match Kentucky in talent and depth. Rematch of 1997?!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll still take Arizona's top 7 players over any 7 in the country. Add the fact that we've got Pitts, Victor and PJC (all top 100 recruits) not even in our top 7 I think we are the only team that can match Kentucky in talent and depth. Rematch of 1997?!

Only if Derek Anderson gets to play this time:suds:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, they're returning most of a Championship game team, (60% of the scoring is back) they're getting their starting center back, who didn't play the last few games, and they're adding 4 really good recruits, and they're getting their NCAA allotted 6 extra practice games (every 4 years) in against some decent competition? That's a team I wouldn't want to have to play.

Having watched a couple of the Bahamas games I have to confess, I really don't know how this UK team loses a game if they stay healthy. Don't get me wrong... I don't think they'll go undefeated, because its just so hard to do, but right now I can't figure out the circumstances that would lead to a loss.

I haven't run the numbers, but this might be the tallest team in the country (NBA included) if you look at the top 12. Texas is one of the few teams that can match up with them up front, but I'm pretty sure UK's guards have the height advantage. The new kid, Towns, is going to be a difference maker. 7'0" with a decent outside shot and good handles. Yikes. And that tiny little guard is tenacious.

What's really surprised me though is the decision making. There has been very few moments of "what the hell was that guy thinking?" which seemed to be a staple of these young Calipari teams in the past.

They didn't press much, but when they did, it seemed effective. With their length, and depth, I don't think pressing this team will do much good. They also played some zone which looked good to. Conversely I don't think this is a team that will have much problem with the zone. They were really patient and good with ball movement, and with their height I think they can throw over most zones.

I haven't seen much in the way of shooting, not just from Kentucky, but any of the teams down there. Not sure if that is just a product of that gym or what. But the one Harrison has proven he can hit the big shots when it matters, and Jay Bilas kept telling me that the Booker kid was a great shooter, despite not hitting much.

I'm also curious to see how things work in a really tightly officiated game. It seemed like they weren't calling any of the 50/50 fouls, which is fine by me, but not sure how this team will respond to that.

But I can tell you this much... I'm looking forward to watching these kids play this season.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 3 teams (Kansas, UConn, Texas) in the super early preseason polls are ranked 3, 10 and 15, respectively. Can't wait for the season to get rolling!!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, they're returning most of a Championship game team, (60% of the scoring is back) they're getting their starting center back, who didn't play the last few games, and they're adding 4 really good recruits, and they're getting their NCAA allotted 6 extra practice games (every 4 years) in against some decent competition? That's a team I wouldn't want to have to play.

Having watched a couple of the Bahamas games I have to confess, I really don't know how this UK team loses a game if they stay healthy. Don't get me wrong... I don't think they'll go undefeated, because its just so hard to do, but right now I can't figure out the circumstances that would lead to a loss.

I haven't run the numbers, but this might be the tallest team in the country (NBA included) if you look at the top 12. Texas is one of the few teams that can match up with them up front, but I'm pretty sure UK's guards have the height advantage. The new kid, Towns, is going to be a difference maker. 7'0" with a decent outside shot and good handles. Yikes. And that tiny little guard is tenacious.

What's really surprised me though is the decision making. There has been very few moments of "what the hell was that guy thinking?" which seemed to be a staple of these young Calipari teams in the past.

They didn't press much, but when they did, it seemed effective. With their length, and depth, I don't think pressing this team will do much good. They also played some zone which looked good to. Conversely I don't think this is a team that will have much problem with the zone. They were really patient and good with ball movement, and with their height I think they can throw over most zones.

I haven't seen much in the way of shooting, not just from Kentucky, but any of the teams down there. Not sure if that is just a product of that gym or what. But the one Harrison has proven he can hit the big shots when it matters, and Jay Bilas kept telling me that the Booker kid was a great shooter, despite not hitting much.

I'm also curious to see how things work in a really tightly officiated game. It seemed like they weren't calling any of the 50/50 fouls, which is fine by me, but not sure how this team will respond to that.

But I can tell you this much... I'm looking forward to watching these kids play this season.

^^^As usual.....Good stuff and loaded with detail. Welcome back Trolly.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^As usual.....Good stuff and loaded with detail. Welcome back Trolly.

Thanks jonvi. I hope you're doin well.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Of the two kids that are sitting out in the Bahamas... The one thatisn't Willie Caulie Stein, might want to think about redshirting for a season if he isn't at 100% when the season starts. I know they're saying it's precautionary, but if he's even a little bit iffy, he might have trouble cracking the rotation.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 3 teams (Kansas, UConn, Texas) in the super early preseason polls are ranked 3, 10 and 15, respectively. Can't wait for the season to get rolling!!

:agree:There are a lot of great teams this year. Gonna be a great season

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks jonvi. I hope you're doin well.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Of the two kids that are sitting out in the Bahamas... The one thatisn't Willie Caulie Stein, might want to think about redshirting for a season if he isn't at 100% when the season starts. I know they're saying it's precautionary, but if he's even a little bit iffy, he might have trouble cracking the rotation.

From everything I've heard, WCS is on track to start the season 100%. Lyles hasn't played yet either, and he was ranked higher than Towns. I think UK could actually field TWO top 10 starting 5's

A Harrison
A Harrison
A Poythress
K Towns
WCS

T Ulis
D Booker
M Lee
T Lyles
D Johnson

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:There are a lot of great teams this year. Gonna be a great season

I went to a division 3 school but my kids have gone to the schools I mentioned. Interesting fact - when my son was a senior at Kansas in '08, they won the championship. This past season my oldest daughter was a senior at UConn and you know what happened. My youngest daughter is a junior at UT this year so I won't go out on a limb with them..but next year!! :pound:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I've heard, WCS is on track to start the season 100%. Lyles hasn't played yet either, and he was ranked higher than Towns. I think UK could actually field TWO top 10 starting 5's

A Harrison
A Harrison
A Poythress
K Towns
WCS

T Ulis
D Booker
M Lee
T Lyles
D Johnson

Well the biggest problem UK has (and I don't think it's much of a problem) is they don't have a single true 3 on the team.

I'm sure minutes are going to be hard to come by but guys that can switch to the 3 effectively, might get some extra minutes depending on how the lineups work. From what I've seen of Lee, he doesn't do a lot away from the rim. His defense is fine, but he can't really dribble, or shoot from outside, and his best talents (rebounding, blocking and dunking) are pretty much useless on the perimeter. I can't imagine a scenario where Lee plays the 3. He could play the 4, but I think he's best suited for the 5. Anyway, I think guys like Poythress and that Willis kid are best at the 4 but both look athletic enough to play the 3, and considering the logjam up front, that will be their best chance to pickup minutes. And if they Harrisons are looking to get more minutes, I could even see them or Booker moving up to the 3.

Keeping track of all the players on this teem is going to be tough. I had to dig up a box score to try and figure out who all is who.