• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick sat for national anthem

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you pose a fair question, but I am no sure it's a matter of when so much as it is what he tied his protest with- the national anthem; and inevitably the flag. The problem with linking a protest to the flag is any interpretation of its symbolism (beyond official symbolism and which country it represents obviously) is inherently subjective. A flag not living up to its ideals for someone is a symbol of struggle and progress for someone else, or simply liberties bestowed upon them. Predictably, the reaction to this protest is a messy one that focuses more on Kaep (it doesn't help he had a Castro/Malcom X shirt on later on) than it does what he's actually talking about. It's not very strategic on his part, imo. Compare that to something that is morally indefensible, like segregated busses, or segregated drinking fountains, or other denied opportunities. The tricky part about this often ends up being about de facto racism instead of more overt de jour racism. I don't have a great answer to that, nobody has, but I find it hard to believe he couldn't have gotten media attention via some other method for his cause.

And you've posed fair questions as well. If his issue is truly unfair treatment and brutality by police against citizens. He should've encompassed all peoples regardless of skin color or creed. Whites are mistreated by police as well as minorities and black officers engage in mistreatment of citizens as well. Mistreatment of citizens and abuse of power is mistreatment of citizens and abuse of power regardless who's doing the mistreating and who's being mistreated.

Far as the right time and right place for Kaep to mount his protest. I think he picked a damn good time. If his intent was to be heard by as many people as possible. He had a large and as close to a captivated audience as he could get, especially when you add in the 24 hours sports cycle of ESPN, NFLN, etc. And while some believe it was as stunt because he's not starting. It was also and still is a risk for him as well.

His message should include all and maybe/hopefully it will expend into that it so in that respect. The message needs to be better/more encompassing, but his timing was on point. Now for the big question. Will it change anything? I dunno. It seems like all that happens now is A) dust up. B) we choose sides C) we then talk past or at each other, but not too each other and we do too little if any listening to one another. I sometimes wonder if we're moving backwards as opposed to forward or just holding ground.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now why did you have to bring Al and Jesse into this thread?

53735408.jpg

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article where it says as Kap sits, Trump is rising in the polls because Kap is inciting people who weren't going to vote to now vote for trump. Also, Kap is in a sense saying America isn't great, which goes along with Trumps "make America Great AGAIN" theme. Anyway, you can google it

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article where it says as Kap sits, Trump is rising in the polls because Kap is inciting people who weren't going to vote to now vote for trump. Also, Kap is in a sense saying America isn't great, which goes along with Trumps "make America Great AGAIN" theme. Anyway, you can google it

Trump is rising in the polls because Samuel L. Jackson said he would leave the country if he becomes president

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha ha!

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Police Accidentally Record Themselves Conspiring to Fabricate Criminal Charges Against Protester

The ACLU of Connecticut is suing state police for fabricating retaliatory criminal charges against a protester after troopers were recorded discussing how to trump up charges against him. In what seems like an unlikely stroke of cosmic karma, the recording came about after a camera belonging to the protester, Michael Picard, was illegally seized by a trooper who didn’t know that it was recording and carried it back to his patrol car, where it then captured the troopers’ plotting.

“Let’s give him something,” one trooper declared. Another suggested, “we can hit him with creating a public disturbance.” “Gotta cover our ass,” remarked a third.

Welp