• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Yoon Commits to ND

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Yoon is the #1 kicker in the country. At first I don't like these moves because its a kicker and teams find nice walk ons all the time. To waste a scholarship in this class doesn't make sense, especially when its some what small class and we are still high on a lot of major time recruits.

This is a different story. I am on board with this move because this is for the best kicker in the country. Its tough to turn down the #1 kicker. Usually I wouldn't think this is a good move but I like it.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years back we were after Dustin Hokpkins who ended up at Florida State, that kid was a real difference maker. I believe he's with the Buffalo Bills now.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or do we always seem to lack a dependable kicker? I think maybe since Nick Setta right?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad that they need a kicker in this class but Brindza isn't going to be around next year and the kid the got last year Newsome is a punter I believe.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first chance to review his film. Sure looks like he can boot a football to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or do we always seem to lack a dependable kicker? I think maybe since Nick Setta right?

Brindza's been a very reliable kicker. He's saved our bacon on more than a couple of occasions and rarely, if ever failed to deliver in clutch situations. With his departure this is a very smart move and well worth the scholly. You can't rely on a David Ruffer to walk on every couple of years. I would add Ruffer was a solid kicker too.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if we can get a halfway decent punter and return man we'll be in business with special teams.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if we can get a halfway decent punter and return man we'll be in business with special teams.

Agreed on the punter. Not really sold on Brindza as a punter and we need to replace him next year anyway. We have plenty of atheletes capable of being good return men. Problem is, our blocking is terrible and they have no choice but to fair catch. I've heard varying excuses from Kelly during his tenure, mostly claiming lack of depth and fear of injuries, but I think the plain truth is, he doesn't have the time or inclination to work on special teams. Our punt and kickoff coverage was dreadful last year as well, as evidenced by nearly back breaking returns in USC and that one embarassing KO return against Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl. Were it not for Brindza creating so many touchbacks, we could have had a few games slip away by giving up so much field position. I hope this guy is a touchback machine.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the punter. Not really sold on Brindza as a punter and we need to replace him next year anyway. We have plenty of atheletes capable of being good return men. Problem is, our blocking is terrible and they have no choice but to fair catch. I've heard varying excuses from Kelly during his tenure, mostly claiming lack of depth and fear of injuries, but I think the plain truth is, he doesn't have the time or inclination to work on special teams. Our punt and kickoff coverage was dreadful last year as well, as evidenced by nearly back breaking returns in USC and that one embarassing KO return against Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl. Were it not for Brindza creating so many touchbacks, we could have had a few games slip away by giving up so much field position. I hope this guy is a touchback machine.

I been saying this for awhile that they need to bring someone for special teams. What we been doing the last couple years have not worked. Blocking has really been bad.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been saying this for awhile that they need to bring someone for special teams. What we been doing the last couple years have not worked. Blocking has really been bad.

Just consider the difference in punt returns over the past 4 years compared to Zibikowski's time returning punts. And then add in the poor coverage on our punting teams. It probably cost us about 50 yards per game.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is with the time allowed for practice weekly you really cant work too much on ST because offence and defense takes up most of the time ( unless you're Michigan) . You have to have a decent kick off and punt returner or you're not gonna get any production. since the reggie bush days USC has put the two shiftiest and fast (and good hands) players to handle returns. Woods, Marquise Lee, Nelson Alhgor were the ones the the past four five years. They dont need too much blocking just one or two and they get huge chunks and when you have an electric returner i believe your blockers put a little more into in knowing the guy behind them is gonna run it out almost every time. With ND latley I bet they line up on a punt and assume it's gonna be a fair catch.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is with the time allowed for practice weekly you really cant work too much on ST because offence and defense takes up most of the time ( unless you're Michigan) . You have to have a decent kick off and punt returner or you're not gonna get any production. since the reggie bush days USC has put the two shiftiest and fast (and good hands) players to handle returns. Woods, Marquise Lee, Nelson Alhgor were the ones the the past four five years. They dont need too much blocking just one or two and they get huge chunks and when you have an electric returner i believe your blockers put a little more into in knowing the guy behind them is gonna run it out almost every time. With ND latley I bet they line up on a punt and assume it's gonna be a fair catch.

A lot of valid points in this post. Since Zibi I've just been happy to not fumble the punt, let alone some kind of return. Although time is limited, ND needs to spend more of it on their punt return game. It has been that awful.

Kick returns, GAIII, hasn't been bad at all. We rarely play on the other side of the 20.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of valid points in this post. Since Zibi I've just been happy to not fumble the punt, let alone some kind of return. Although time is limited, ND needs to spend more of it on their punt return game. It has been that awful.

Kick returns, GAIII, hasn't been bad at all. We rarely play on the other side of the 20.

Zibby was pretty bad ass. Loved watching him except against SC. he ran hard and gave ND some good production. That one return for a TD against USC about two years ago was nice but other than that your return game has been kinda stale with alternating guys back there. After Floyd left I can't even name your return guys. Who ever your stud WR is from the last years recruiting class is, that's who your coaching staff should be grooming for the spot. It's almost a given now (hopefully it continues with Sark). At SC Woods averaged 25 yards a kick off return as a freshman ,Marquise Lee averaged 28 yards a kickoff his freshman season, Nelson Agholor averaged 24 yards a kickoff return his freshman season. Look for Adoree Jackson and JuJu Smith to take that torch.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zibby was pretty bad ass. Loved watching him except against SC. he ran hard and gave ND some good production. That one return for a TD against USC about two years ago was nice but other than that your return game has been kinda stale with alternating guys back there. After Floyd left I can't even name your return guys. Who ever your stud WR is from the last years recruiting class is, that's who your coaching staff should be grooming for the spot. It's almost a given now (hopefully it continues with Sark). At SC Woods averaged 25 yards a kick off return as a freshman ,Marquise Lee averaged 28 yards a kickoff his freshman season, Nelson Agholor averaged 24 yards a kickoff return his freshman season. Look for Adoree Jackson and JuJu Smith to take that torch.

Justin Brent, Corey Holmes, Torii Hunter Jr, or William Fuller would potentially be the guys.