• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just how good ARE the Chiefs?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the half ended was a bit of a letdown, but overall I am pleased with the way this game has played out. Obviously I wish Moreno had picked up that first down. Short of that, I wish Prater hadn't missed that kick. But the Chiefs were unable to make anything of it and score before the half, so it could be worse.

The Chiefs defense is very good. I think we all knew that, and I am not afraid to give them a little credit at this point. But the Broncos defense has looked pretty good too.

The Broncos get the ball first in the second half. They missed an opportunity to really open this game up, but hopefully they can salvage it with a TD on their opening drive of the second half.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice goalline stand by Denver's D but to many penalties on defense. A score on the first drive after halftime would be nice. Time to get Decker more involved. Need Von Miller to make some impact plays in the 2nd half.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about the goal line stand. The Chiefs have made some gains but the defense is making them earn it.

The second half begins. Let's hope the Broncos can put another TD on the board on this drive.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about the goal line stand. The Chiefs have made some gains but the defense is making them earn it.

The second half begins. Let's hope the Broncos can put another TD on the board on this drive.

Well, so much for that. That stop is a win for the Chiefs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with that the Broncos pull even with the Chiefs at 9-1 apiece. I really like what I saw out of this team tonight. Manning didn't take any abuse in this game and the Broncos owe that success to their run game. This is as conservative as we've seen the team in the second half, and should go a long way toward answering some of the questions about our defense. The Chiefs held the Broncos to their lowest point total, but the defense was unyielding throughout most of the game.

The Chiefs did play a good game, so I will give them a lot of credit. They will not be an easy win by any means in Kansas City. But I also can't help but feel the Broncos played a conservative game once the game settled into a rhythm and the defense demonstrated the ability to consistently make stops. I think they are going to be a little more aggressive in two weeks. Probably out of necessity.

It'll be interesting to see how Julius Thomas and Wes Welker emerge as they left the game with injuries. Welker was being tested with a concussion and Thomas hyper extended his leg on a gruesome play.

9-1 and a win over the last undefeated team of 2013 feels great! Go Broncos!

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice article in the DP this morning. I like what Denver did as far as running the ball (Ball came back after his fumble and didn't let it bother him) and Manning still throws for over 300 yards on a gimpy ankle. Nice win...

Kiszla: It's true, Kansas City Chiefs really are NFL frauds

Unlike the Kansas City Frauds, Peyton Manning is the real deal.

On a gimpy ankle, Manning threw for 323 yards against an overrated defense. But, truth be told, Denver beat Kansas City 27-17 in an AFC West showdown where the outcome was never really in doubt for a very simple reason:In a league ruled by quarterbacks, Denver has one capable of leading his team to the Super Bowl.

Kansas City has grit, desire, toughness and all those qualities of a team trying to hide an obvious flaw: Alex Smith's arm isn't strong enough to wrestle with Manning or any other elite NFL quarterback.

Was the No. 1 defense in the NFL, the calling card of K.C., enough to shut down Manning and the Broncos? Please, don't make Denver receiver Demaryius Thomas laugh. "We scored 27 points," said Thomas, chuckling.

Props to the Denver defense, improving with each week. Linebacker Von Miller is back from suspension and soon to return is perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

But here's what makes Kansas City a fraud as a championship contender in 2013: an inept offense. Oakland, Jacksonville and every one of the previous nine teams on Denver's schedule scored more points against the Broncos than K.C. was able to muster.

This Kansas City defense is not Da Bears of Ditka. Brandon Flowers, Derrick Johnson, Dontari Poe and the fellows in red, however, did make Manning work for every inch of real estate.

"We did enough to win," said Broncos coach Jack Del Rio, who saw much room for improvement. "It's certainly easier to address those concerns with a smile on your face."

In five of its previous nine games, with Manning looking as if he were in a hurry, hurry to break every passing record in the NFL book, Denver punted no more than three times. In the third quarter alone, K.C. forced Manning off the field three times with a series ending in a punt.

Kansas City can't win the Super Bowl for a reason that coach Andy Reid certainly knows deep in his heart. His offense is too elementary. Quarterback Smith is the football equivalent of Ambien. He eases a coach's worries. Nothing bad ever happens. But not much exciting happens. And next thing you know, you're sound asleep on the sofa.

Smith graduated summa cum laude from the Bob Griese School of Game Management. This was a fine way to play quarterback, in 1972. But the game has changed. Unless the NFL rolls back the clock 40 years before the next Super Bowl, the Chiefs won't be in it.

Denver is back on top in the AFC West, and controls its destiny in the race for the conference's No. 1 seed. Forget Kansas City. What awaits the Broncos is the toughest challenge:Tom Brady is a quarterback fully capable of matching Manning touchdown pass for touchdown pass. Reid might well be coach of the year for giving one of the NFL's great cities a reason for renewed hope, but he is no Bill Belichick when it comes to devising ways to frustrate Manning.

Kansas City was never the main threat to the Broncos for AFC supremacy. That is the job more suited to New England.

Hey, Frauds.

You served a noble purpose, forcing the Broncos to earn a victory that was more grit than glamour.
Now, go sit on the porch, young pups, and leave the real AFC fight to the big dogs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely do not agree with Kiz. The Chiefs are not frauds, they just ran into a higher quality opponent yesterday.

I do agree with him that next week's game with the Pats will be a bigger challenge than this week's game against the Chiefs. And then right after that is another game with the Chiefs, this one on the road. Winning consecutive road games against the Pats and Chiefs will be hard. RealisticLlt the Broncos can drop both of those games, though I expect they will split them at minimum.

The last four games of the seasonsee the schedule soften a bit. The current 4 game stretch is without a doubt the toughest of the season. 3 of 4 on the road. 3 of 4 against division rivals. Of the 3 divisional games, 2 are on the road and 2 are against the Chief. Throw in a road trip against the Pats and the fact that the Chiefs in Denver were coming off their bye and this 4 game stretch could have been ugly. Yet 2 games into it the Broncos are 2-0.

Two tough outs next on slate. The Chiefs have a tougher slate ahead. This is far from over but if the Broncos win their next two the Chiefs operations crew had better start booking hotels in Indy or Cincy for Wild Card Weekend.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely do not agree with Kiz. The Chiefs are not frauds, they just ran into a higher quality opponent yesterday.

I do agree with him that next week's game with the Pats will be a bigger challenge than this week's game against the Chiefs. And then right after that is another game with the Chiefs, this one on the road. Winning consecutive road games against the Pats and Chiefs will be hard. RealisticLlt the Broncos can drop both of those games, though I expect they will split them at minimum.

The last four games of the seasonsee the schedule soften a bit. The current 4 game stretch is without a doubt the toughest of the season. 3 of 4 on the road. 3 of 4 against division rivals. Of the 3 divisional games, 2 are on the road and 2 are against the Chief. Throw in a road trip against the Pats and the fact that the Chiefs in Denver were coming off their bye and this 4 game stretch could have been ugly. Yet 2 games into it the Broncos are 2-0.

Two tough outs next on slate. The Chiefs have a tougher slate ahead. This is far from over but if the Broncos win their next two the Chiefs operations crew had better start booking hotels in Indy or Cincy for Wild Card Weekend.

Yeah really don't agree with Kiz either. So it is either our defense is turning things around because we have added Woodyard and Miller back into the lineup or the Chiefs just have a ridiculously horrible offense. You really can't have both as those earlier games he talked about where offenses put up more points we did not have those two guys. To me I see vast improvements in our defense being the reason the Chiefs struggled at times to move and score on our defense more than the Chiefs just having a pathetic offense.

I also thought the Chiefs presented probably the toughest defensive match up the Broncos will see all season. They actually have the cover guys to slow down the offense, two pass rushers that can usually get after a quarterback, and a guy in the middle that can wreak havoc on an OL. They made our offense have to be as balanced as they have been all season to make sure Peyton stayed upright. They forced us to play one of the more conservative game plans on offense that I have seen to make sure Peyton is protected so to me that is the ultimate sign of respect to a great defense. They just happened to go up against what will go down as one of the greatest offenses in NFL history if Peyton stays healthy.

Definitely in my book the Chiefs earned some respect for their play on the field. Alex Smith wasn't as bad as I thought he would be. If his receivers could catch the football that offense would have been in business. Defensively they were as physical as promised. Berry looked like a missile half the time. Poe was tough to block in the run game. The corners played our receivers pretty tough most of the game.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the conservative game plan. We are so used to seeing the Broncos run away with games this season. They did not run away with it last night but at no point did they ever lose control of the game. It was a decisive win. I believe if the Chiefs had connected on some of those dropped passes and scored the Broncos would have opened it up in response. But if you don't need to do that, and with the rematch just 2 weeks away, don't do any more than needed to win. And do it without Manning taking too many hits.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs are not frauds. They have a stout defense, and it went pretty much the way many of us thought. Although, I did think they would get more pressure.

The bottom line is last night was as much of a MUST WIN as you will ever see from a team that is 9-1. They needed to hold serve at home. Playing in KC always gives problems, and the offense last night was NOT consistent.

The play a version of football that the Ravens thrived off of for the better part of a decade. Just because they beat teams that they are suppose to beat consistently, does not mean that team is a fraud. That really does not make much sense when you consider that claim.

Last nights game was a little closer too than some think.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last nights game was a little closer too than some think.

I disagree. The offense played a conservative game and they had the luxury of doing that because e defense was able to keep the lid on the Chiefs for the most part. There was one brief moment in the first quarter where the Chiefs were conceivably a legitimat threat, and that was after the botched handoff to Ball. And of course on the very next play Trevathan forced a fumble. On the ensuing drive the Broncos made it 10-0. The game was never in doubt after that. The Broncos controlled it pretty much all the way through.

I give the defense a lot of props for playing a great game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The offense played a conservative game and they had the luxury of doing that because e defense was able to keep the lid on the Chiefs for the most part. There was one brief moment in the first quarter where the Chiefs were conceivably a legitimat threat, and that was after the botched handoff to Ball. And of course on the very next play Trevathan forced a fumble. On the ensuing drive the Broncos made it 10-0. The game was never in doubt after that. The Broncos controlled it pretty much all the way through.

I give the defense a lot of props for playing a great game.

Have to agree with this. Seemed like the Broncos offense played a better version of what the Chiefs have tried to do all year in making sure not to turn the ball over, play for some field position, take some shots when they were available, and make sure to stay balanced. Just so happens when the Broncos use this style they can still put up quite a few points even being conservative.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree with this. Seemed like the Broncos offense played a better version of what the Chiefs have tried to do all year in making sure not to turn the ball over, play for some field position, take some shots when they were available, and make sure to stay balanced. Just so happens when the Broncos use this style they can still put up quite a few points even being conservative.

Exactly. The Chiefs did make some stops, do I don't want to take anything away from them. But I have no doubt the Broncos could have easily put up 40 last night.

Also, if the defense can replicate this performance out in KC I really like the Broncos chances of going in there and beating the Chiefs again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The Chiefs did make some stops, do I don't want to take anything away from them. But I have no doubt the Broncos could have easily put up 40 last night.

Also, if the defense can replicate this performance out in KC I really like the Broncos chances of going in there and beating the Chiefs again.

I do too...We also should have Champ back by then so hopefully defense is rolling by that point. The game definitely had that feeling of a blow out but I respect what the Broncos did in making sure Peyton didn't take any kind of unneeded shots like he did earlier in the year. I think Gase and Del Rio felt like the defense would do just fine once we had gotten to 17 points on offense so the whole game plan after that was protect Peyton from any further injury. I would rather this offense put up 27 points and Peyton not get sacked once than put up 40 and him have to spend the whole week rehabbing his ankle from the hits he took in the game. I think Peyton and the coaching staff would all agree with that.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't think they are a fraud, they just aren't as good as Denver and I also think they go to KC and win in 2 weeks.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on what you mean by the word fraud. I don't think the Chiefs are a serious Super Bowl threat, so in that sense, yeah, they are frauds. Also, at 9-0 they had the best record in the league, so if you believed they were the best team in the NFL, then yeah I'd say they were frauds.

They're still a good team, but I'd put them more on the level of the Bengals. Really good defense, suspect offense. Frankly, though, I trust the Bengals offense more than I do the Chiefs.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs offense is too on e dimensional and Andy Reid may get credit for turning around a 2-14 team that has a lot of talent, but his play calling is head scratching at best.

Broncos did a great job of protecting Manning and the Defense matched KC's physicality last night. How clutch was the forced fumble right after the unforced fumble by Ball? (I know Manning took the blame for that in the press conference, but we all saw Ball scanning the running lanes and not making sure he had the ball secured).

Manning seemed a little off target 1st quarter. A lot of passes in the dirt. Still, 323 yards passing and 1 passing TD is a great performance against the league's #1 scoring Defense.

Ball with 2 rushing TD's should hopefully give his confidence a much needed lift as we need the other RB's to step up a bit here down the stretch so Moreno is not worn out.

Very smart although conservative game plan that we are not used to seeing. Minimize the chances for the Chiefs opportunistic defense to create a turnover by running the ball more.

That game was never close as long as we did not turn it over or give up a big play to their Defense or Special Teams.

I am a little worried about injuries, so let's hope Welker, JT and Travathan are all going to play next week.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some BONUS points for the Broncos:

We managed to knock the KC defense down a bit in the rankings on a few stats. They're no longer #1 in sacks (Buffalo Bills), and are currently #2 in points against (temporarily unless Carolina holds NE to a really low number). We also knocked them out of the top 10 in yards allowed, and down to #9 in Passing yards allowed.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos got a huge assist from the Chargers today. Now the Broncos need to handle their business tonight. If the Broncos win, then the pressure is really on the Chiefs next week. If the Broncos win, they can actually lose next week and still be in first place with a tie breaker. The Broncos need to get to work tonight because this is a big chance to solidify their place in the division.

But I do want to credit the Chiefs. They played some offense when they had to. And their defense held the Chargers under 42 points. :laugh3:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos got a huge assist from the Chargers today. Now the Broncos need to handle their business tonight. If the Broncos win, then the pressure is really on the Chiefs next week. If the Broncos win, they can actually lose next week and still be in first place with a tie breaker. The Broncos need to get to work tonight because this is a big chance to solidify their place in the division.

But I do want to credit the Chiefs. They played some offense when they had to. And their defense held the Chargers under 42 points. :laugh3:

They lost both Hali and Houston to injury. Not sure what the prognosis on them is, but our offense should skate next week if either are gone, let alone both.