• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Matthews and a 3rd rounder traded to Bills

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Don't know too much about Darby. Anyone have some insight?

Seems like a lot to give up for PFF's 66th ranked CB last year (for whatever that's worth). Apparently a disappointing 2nd year after a strong showing as a rookie.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked him at FSU haven't seen him at all in the pros. I was okay with it when I thought it was straight up. Not loving that we gave up a good draft choice as well. Looks like a desperation move by Howie.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked him at FSU haven't seen him at all in the pros. I was okay with it when I thought it was straight up. Not loving that we gave up a good draft choice as well. Looks like a desperation move by Howie.

I'm ok with it since it will be the 96th overall pick.

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that. And the Bills sent WR Watkins to the Rams for CB Gaines and a 2nd round pick. The Bills seem to be stockpiling picks for their new GM.

I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about Darby (don't remember him from FSU either), but after some initial reading, it sounds like a good deal for us. He was apparently written in to be the Bills #1 CB. Giving up a 3rd too hurts a little, though

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-11, 190, 4.38 40, willingness to tackle, this will be his 3rd year playing -- some see him as an up and coming player.

2015 started 15 of 15 games was PFF Defensive Rookie of Year.
2016 started 14 of 14 games missed two with injuries (hamstring and concussion)

From his Draft profile since he's not too far removed from his draft class.

STRENGTHS
Former high school track star with "world-class speed." Can change directions suddenly with few false steps. Has requisite body control to handle the strain of press-man coverage. Easy swivel to his hips with ability to open, run and hit top speed quickly. Plays with instincts and awareness. Ready to come off his man to overlap and contest a catch or make a tackle. Digests combo routes and helps teammates lineup before snap. Recognizes route development and makes early break on throws. Ball-tracker with excellent timing to high-point and disrupt the catch. Lack of on-ball production tied to quarterbacks avoiding him. Technically proficient with hand usage in press and maintains feel for receiver. Constricts throwing windows in zone coverage. Steps downhill and attacks against the run.
WEAKNESSES
Susceptible to inside releases, with feet stuttering before transitioning to close distance on loose receiver. Like teammate P.J. Williams, he must learn to play without so much grabbing downfield. Needs improvement with back to ball. Anxious to stay on top of route from press and opens door for comebacks underneath. Will occasionally lose track of his man in scramble situations. Not a hitter. Scouts question his toughness. Will get muscled by bigger receivers. Ducks head as tackler and prefers to hit with helmet over wrapping up against running backs. Will lose interceptions to his below-average hands. Reportedly refused to testify during Jameis Winston's FSU code-of-conduct hearing, which stemmed from a sexual assault accusation against Winston. Darby witnessed the encounter between Winston and the accuser. Darby was cleared of wrongdoing in the incident by an FSU hearing panel.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 2 or 3
SOURCES TELL US
"I worry about his toughness against the run. He's just fine in coverage, but he will have teams running at him every chance they get until he proves he's willing to step up and be tough." -- ACC assistant coach
NFL COMPARISON
Johnathan Joseph
BOTTOM LINE
Cover corner with average size and outstanding speed. Has shown the instincts to play off coverage and the athleticism to play press. It is a bit of a concern that scouts and even opposing coaches have commented on Darby's toughness, but he doesn't have very many missed or broken tackles on his docket and his cover skills should be prioritized over his run support regardless. He clearly has starter's ability at the position.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby is legit, and a rising star. Fast, athletic, and good a cover CB. I am shocked the Bills would let him go. They traded Watkins to LA, so I guess they wanted Matthews bad. The word is that the Eagles & Bills discussed this trade back in April before the draft. I'm psyched now - Elliott's suspension; we solved the CB issue; and we usually beat the midgets, so we can win this division! Add Darby to Mills, Douglas, and Sidney, and we have a real good, young DB corps!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, if he signed a questionable CB - that would be desperation. Darby is the real deal, and our DB corps is now solid, and whenever Sidney gets healthy, we will be in great shape going forward - 3 or 4 young, talented DBs.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby is legit, and a rising star. Fast, athletic, and good a cover CB. I am shocked the Bills would let him go. They traded Watkins to LA, so I guess they wanted Matthews bad. The word is that the Eagles & Bills discussed this trade back in April before the draft. I'm psyched now - Elliott's suspension; we solved the CB issue; and we usually beat the midgets, so we can win this division! Add Darby to Mills, Douglas, and Sidney, and we have a real good, young DB corps!

Darby seems like he'll be perfect in Schwartz's system.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we didn't have to give up a 3rd, and we don't have a 2nd next year, but for all we know, Howie may wind up replacing those picks anyway. We will probably draft our future feature RB next year (Barkley?) in the 1st round, to complete our roster. Things are definitely on the upswing. Now, if Doug can learn how to call plays (or turn over play calling to Reich), we may be a real contender. :heh:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a great trade. Great!

It does leave us without second or third rounders next draft, but we have 3 4th rounders.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby is a good CB, will hit you, great athlete, just don't expect any big INT numbers, he has average at best ball skills.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well It looks like with a hole at WR now, that they believe in BOTH Johnson and Hollins.. and both will likely make the team with 1 fighting for the starting spot. They must like what they see in Agholor as well. We have Jeffries and Smith as starters, with Agholor in the slot, and Hollins sharing time (maybe overcoming one of them). I'm still worried about Smith a bit. And Johnson is said to be looking real good, but where will he fit in? That said, looks like he will make the team now.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing your best WR is tough. Weapons for Wentz are now Jeffrey, Smith and Agholor with Agholor not being able to catch anything, Jeffrey's ability to stay healthy is a question mark and Smith's production has gotten worse over each of the last 3 years.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby is a good CB, will hit you, great athlete, just don't expect any big INT numbers, he has average at best ball skills.

This sounds opposite to all the write ups. Sounds like he has good ball skills, movement, coverage and tackles well but questionable toughness against the run. Time will tell.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing your best WR is tough. Weapons for Wentz are now Jeffrey, Smith and Agholor with Agholor not being able to catch anything, Jeffrey's ability to stay healthy is a question mark and Smith's production has gotten worse over each of the last 3 years.

I agree.. however... in all fairness..

Jeffrey is in a much better situation with Wentz and the offense overall.

Smith, I agree is a HUGE question mark. But again, he is in a better situation.

Agholor is not looking like the same person from last year and is MASSIVELY improved from every report in catching. He did not have an issue with this coming out of college, and things just got in his head last year. He has worked tirelessly on this and it's always good to see a guy with this work ethic and not making excuses.

BONUS. Hollins is looking like the real deal. Many great receivers were drafted outside of the 1st, and did well in the NFL. Hollins caught a TD pass yesterday, and threw TWO guys to the ground doing it. We have missed someone that physical. This kid could truly be the reason we let Matthews go.

There are questions, but there is also a LOT of positive and backup to suggest we will be fine.

On top of this, as good as Hollins is looking, Johnson was battling him as well. So that is depth as well.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can read the write ups or you can watch his NFL video. He has like 30 starts and 2 INTs for his career. He has great recovery speed that helps with the passes defensed numbers but he's not an INT guy. Still like him a lot, Matthews was on the way out anyway, and if Agholor has indeed progressed, we'll be good to go.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No excuses really. When you have spent most of your cap for the next couple of years as well as your draft picks you should field a pretty good team. Hard not to be excited about how Wentz has looked in preseason!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Matthews was our best receiver last year, we added Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith and he was fighting to be the slot receiver. He also is in the last year of his contract and clearly wasn't going to get re-signed here. So, trading him for a young starting-caliber corner is a no brainer IMO.

And yes, in addition to Nelson Agholor supposedly looking good in the slot, we have a rookie in Mack Hollins who looks like he may win playing time.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woot woot!

:hammer:

Huge upgrade for the total talent level at corner since last year! Upgraded at WR too.