• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Matthews and a 3rd rounder traded to Bills

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years of starting CB play is worth a middle of the road possession receiver on the last year of his deal and an unknown quantity. Darby may not be Josh Norman or Joe Hayden, but he's a significant improvement over what we have.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its better to look at it as the 3rd rounder for Darby and Jordan Matthews was a throw in.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby is a good CB, will hit you, great athlete, just don't expect any big INT numbers, he has average at best ball skills.

I'll gladly settle for that. If the CBs cover, that will translate into more sacks.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby seems like he'll be perfect in Schwartz's system.

This was my thought too. Darby was very solid at FSU, where the DBs have to be solid on the blitz but also usually get bailed out with a front four that can pressure. He is going on third year pro and is only 23. Solid as a rookie but a step back last year.

Overall the bills were a weird mess last year. So I'm willing to see. Not crazy on the pick being given too, but shit happens. Our DB squad just improved. That's for sure!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this deal for the Eagles. JM is a big receiver who can't play outside and has bad hands ... the king of garbage time yards. I think Mack Hollins can do everything JM gave us plus he's a better big play guy. Darby had an excellent rookie year and a mediocre 2nd year, but he was still solid in the grand scheme and is still only 23 years old (plenty of upside); easily becomes our best Corner. Not worried at all about that 3rd rounder ... you give that up for a decent, young starting Corner any day of the week ... especially when you are as bad off at the position as we were.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, especially with our history of drafting (prior to Joe Douglas), who knows how a 3rd rounder would turn out. Always take a proven, solid young professional player over a draft pick.
i can see our CBs next year: Darby, Jones, Douglas, and Mills. Looks good to me.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly next year's CBs look stellar when Sid Jones comes back.

The loss of Matthews was countered by the rise of Our young WRs.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years of starting CB play is worth a middle of the road possession receiver on the last year of his deal and an unknown quantity. Darby may not be Josh Norman or Joe Hayden, but he's a significant improvement over what we have.

Actually he's a not middle of the road receiver. You can count on three fingers the number of guys who have over 60 catches and 800 yards in each of their first three seasons.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews benefited from the situation as he was put in the slot (covered by nickel backs and LB'ers) where he was afforded a ton of targets on a team without outside threats. It's anyone's guess if he can be successful as an "outside" receiver and his hands are unreliable as he's had a good deal of big drops in his Eagle tenure. I've been high on Mack Hollins way before he ever became an Eagle and think that he will eventually take over that role and thrive in it. Agholor seems to also have found a groove at that position in camp, so either he or Hollins should fill that role without seeing a down tick from Matthews imo.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he's a not middle of the road receiver. You can count on three fingers the number of guys who have over 60 catches and 800 yards in each of their first three seasons.
He's one of five.

The other four guys all had multiple 1,000-yard seasons and multiple 10+ TD seasons. Matthews hasn't had one yet.

He's almost a season worth of production behind Mike Evans in cumulative stats (Evans has 900 more yards and 8 more TDs through his first three seasons than Matthews).

Jordan Matthews vs. Odell Beckham vs. Mike Evans vs. Randy Moss vs. A.J. Green Player Comparison | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews was goner after next year anyway. We've done a good job revamping the WR position, is typically is an easier position to revamp anyway. Darby is a very young and talented CB who had a ridiculous rookie year under Schwartz, and regressed with the entire buffalo defense under Rex last year. In one off-season we took a position in which is looked pitiful at, for the foreseeable future as well, and now we have 3 extremely talented young corners. Darby is exactly what we needed on defense for this year, and he give us a ton of upside in the future. Darby, Jones and Rasul for the future -- a fantastic job investing in one of the most important positions in football. I approve of this trade, and I am very excited for the future! On another note, I've been loving the Mack Hollins pick since day one, this kid is going to be very good for us.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi bud, nice to hear from you again! I agree with your assessment. However, Darby never played for Schwartz, but it doesn't matter. He will be a great player and mentor to the young guys. they're all young. Darby, Jones, Douglas, Mills, and C.J. are all young and aggressive. The future we now have at WR and CB is outstanding!!

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tid bit.... Wentz drove Matthews to the airport. He calls JM his best friend, and vows to stay in contact beyond no longer being teammates. Class Act.

Btw, it has already been reported that JM is also still having lingering injury issues.

The lack of 2nd/3rd round draft picks in 2018 will be tough, but one of our investments in Jones will be for then anyways. We are looking good, young, promising and heading in the right direction. IMHO, biggest priorities now are RB and OL.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And add LB to that. We only have one Stud LB - Hicks.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And add LB to that. We only have one Stud LB - Hicks.

you are right.... even more so that Kendricks has asked to be traded because he wants more money. Then again, maybe winning and having a legitimate shot at a SB will curb some of his issues.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for bills.... but looks like JM suffered a chest injury in his first day of practice with the bills.

And the replacement for Darby, suffered a thumb injury and had to be replaced.

Nothing is known about how serious it is. Their Coach wants JM to play in week 2 vs PHI. So perhaps not that serious. I'm sure more will come out soon.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also looks like McCoy is not too ecited to see JM and doesn't think he grades out anywhere near what they lost in Sammy Watkins. And honestly, he might be right, but... do you really say this with a new player coming in, with a situation that cannot be changed, and does it help build the team at all??? McCoy seems to still be absolutely without class.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cracked sternum holy crap!

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00