• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Jimmy Garoppolo as QB of the Niners

How does Jimmy Garoppolo fare in SF?

• He becomes a top 10 franchise QB in the NFL. Niners enjoy a decade of Jimmy.

• He becomes a solid NFL starter, but not quite what he was billed to be. Middle of the pack or so.

• He's the next Matt Flynn.

• Other

• Jimmy can't eat Potato salad, he has abs.

Results are only viewable after voting.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To quote Jim Rome (especially when it come to calling Shanahan a rat face) personal appearance smack is not show fodder.

I watched Jim Rome once " listen clones" WTF I''ll forget you quoted him, once

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will be inclined to trade down and get more picks if a good deal presents itself. We really need a couple more good lineman to protect the QB. One guard went in season ending IR before the season started and our other two starting guards right now suck including our center. It all starts in the trenches

Man when you guys had DeBartolo and Policy team was the shit. Of course having Montana, Rice, Young, Lott, Norton, Walsh etc didnt hurt. But this York kid wtf

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went solid starter greats make teamates better ie Brady, Rodgers, Peyton I don't think he is that caliber a QB

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man when you guys had DeBartolo and Policy team was the shit. Of course having Montana, Rice, Young, Lott, Norton, Walsh etc didnt hurt. But this York kid wtf

He put all his faith in Baalke gave him years of complete control and the past few years drafted bust after bust and underperforming players. Now we have almost started from scratch. There has been a large turnover in the roster and I expect another turnover this year.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He put all his faith in Baalke gave him years of complete control and the past few years drafted bust after bust and underperforming players. Now we have almost started from scratch. There has been a large turnover in the roster and I expect another turnover this year.

You know as bad as the 40's are lately, I still remembe them fondly as the bests in the 80's, some of the best years watching , as well as the 70's Steelers

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Option 2 here, think he'll be a solid but not spectacular NFL QB.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congratulations

and no, they werent fleeced. he was sent to the one team that needed a QB, that we wont see for like 8 years...the longest stretch.

he didnt want to have to face him.

The regular NFL rotation means the Pats play the 49ers every 4 years and are scheduled against them in 2020.

The 49ers are not the one team that needed a QB; many teams in the NFL would love a QB upgrade.

If he's elite, then, yes, Pats were absolutely fleeced. No matter how you cut it, an elite quarterback is worth far more than a second rounder.

Last edited:

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular NFL rotation means the Pats play the 49ers every 4 years and are scheduled against them in 2020.

If he's elite, then, yes, they were absolutely fleeced. No matter how you cut it, an elite quarterback is worth far more than a second rounder.
i was being hyperbolic...but yeah. they dont face the niners for another few years. when do the pats next play cleveland?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll go top 10 based on how it appears Belichick really wanted to keep him around and he doesn't strike me as the type that would go that far to keep a guy unless he really believed in him.

As far as being elite it depends on your definition of elite. Hard to picture him in that Brady or Rodgers category but those guys are ultra rare as it is.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners are a train wreck.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 49ers are not the one team that needed a QB; many teams in the NFL would love a QB upgrade.

If he's elite, then, yes, Pats were absolutely fleeced. No matter how you cut it, an elite quarterback is worth far more than a second rounder.
There was no fleecing here.
NE will get a 1st round level player at a 2nd round price.
There was NO WAY NE could've kept him.
Are you suggesting NE should've traded Brady?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this all work out for my man Jimmy?

i

um....kirk cousins will be niners qb next year

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no fleecing here.
NE will get a 1st round level player at a 2nd round price.
There was NO WAY NE could've kept him.
Are you suggesting NE should've traded Brady?

If NE keeps the pick, they will get a 2nd round pick. They will be picking high in the second round, but it will still be a 2nd round pick. Picking high within a round doesn't magically make the pick a round higher.

Garoppolo is worth more than a 2nd rounder.

And way to throw up a strawman argument: I never even mentioned Brady, so don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If NE keeps the pick, they will get a 2nd round pick. They will be picking high in the second round, but it will still be a 2nd round pick. Picking high within a round doesn't magically make the pick a round higher.

Garoppolo is worth more than a 2nd rounder.

And way to throw up a strawman argument: I never even mentioned Brady, so don't put words in my mouth.

Teams always reach. So there are always players who graded out higher that go later. Thus 1st round talent at 2nd round contract $. Unless magically this year it will be different:doh:

Garoppolo is WORTH whatever a team will pay for him. I think he'll be a quality QB in the NFL but that doesn't mean he's worth more than a top of the 2nd round pick. Again no way NE could keep him. Thus the Brady question that you avoided to answer. It was a question note the question mark after Brady?

No ONE knows what other offers BB received unless you're inside the FO. So again JG was worth what a team was willing to give for him. Don't forget unofficially it included Brian Hoyer being released so NE would have a back up that knew the system. That I'm willing to bet also played into the decision making process.

So instead of your snarky remarks why don't you tell us what BB should've done with JG with a couple hours remaining before the trade deadline?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo is WORTH whatever a team will pay for him. I think he'll be a quality QB in the NFL but that doesn't mean he's worth more than a top of the 2nd round pick. Again no way NE could keep him. Thus the Brady question that you avoided to answer. It was a question note the question mark after Brady?

No ONE knows what other offers BB received unless you're inside the FO. So again JG was worth what a team was willing to give for him. Don't forget unofficially it included Brian Hoyer being released so NE would have a back up that knew the system. That I'm willing to bet also played into the decision making process.

So instead of your snarky remarks why don't you tell us what BB should've done with JG with a couple hours remaining before the trade deadline?

Except this is a false assumption that you have to wait until a couple hours before the trade deadline to get a deal done. The mistake was not trading Garoppolo earlier for more.

I think Belichick is the greatest coach-GM in NFL history. That doesn't mean he's incapable of making mistakes: Haynesworth, Ochocinco, etc., and it looks like another is now happening with Gilmore. Belichick's mistake here was waiting so long with Garoppolo that he was forced into a bad last-minute deal.

You're right that not being inside a front office, we can't know what deals were offered. That means we can only evaluate trades on the basis of, what is the player worth relative to his level of play. A quarterback that can start for you is worth a first round pick. A franchise quarterback is worth a #1 pick. An elite quarterback is exceedingly rare and is worth multiple first round picks. Now, maybe you don't think Garoppolo is any of those. But if you do -- and looking at the poll of this thread, most people think he is at least a solid starter, with a plurality believing he is a franchise quarterback -- then he is worth, at the very least, a first rounder. And in getting such a quarterback for only a second round pick, the 49ers got a massive bargain.

Last edited: