• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Brown Rips "Reprehensible" NCAA.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brian-bosworth.jpg

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Unicorns are racist"

-Jim Brown

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Brown is an angry man.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably still mad his character died in The Dirty Dozen

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has a valid point.

The origins of the NCAA were in the old days. Now, there is BIG MONEY. The NCAAs main purpose was to control the money. They did it with TV, lost that. Now they are pretty much a paper tiger with no teeth.

The main purpose of the NCAA now is to maintain the staus quo so the people at the NCAA keep their jobs, that they don't perform at very well other than pushing papers around from desk to desk.

Cheating is rampant. All colleges flaunt the rules. Students are told they cannot cheat nor accept payments, yet, the Universities all cheat and accept payments.

As a kid, your parents told you not to smoke or drink while they had a glass of bourbon in their hand and smoking a cigarette. They also told you not to cheat, but then many got divorced because of cheating.

I agree with Jim Brown, the NCAA should be eliminated and started anew.

What is better? My ideas are to radical, but I do know that the NCAA in its current form is a laughing stock. Most of us on these boards make fun of the NCAA.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The origins of the NCAA were in the old days. Now, there is BIG MONEY. The NCAAs main purpose was to control the money. They did it with TV, lost that. Now they are pretty much a paper tiger with no teeth.

The main purpose of the NCAA now is to maintain the staus quo so the people at the NCAA keep their jobs, that they don't perform at very well other than pushing papers around from desk to desk.

Cheating is rampant. All colleges flaunt the rules. Students are told they cannot cheat nor accept payments, yet, the Universities all cheat and accept payments.

As a kid, your parents told you not to smoke or drink while they had a glass of bourbon in their hand and smoking a cigarette. They also told you not to cheat, but then many got divorced because of cheating.

What is better? My ideas are to radical, but I do know that the NCAA in its current form is a laughing stock. Most of us on these boards make fun of the NCAA.
:bullshit:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What rules don't you like?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I continue to laugh at his comment that "God" created the NCAA. Really? I can't take anything serious after reading that.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You disagree only because Penn State bent over and took it. You need to be blaming Rodney Erickson or else hire Donna Shalala.

If Penn State would have acted like Miami, North Carolina, teams that oversign, the Penn State penalties would have been reduced. Other schools have had CURRENT at the time athletic administrators fiddle-fddle with(cant use the real word) students on campus while employed at that University, but have not had any actions taken against them.

I am all for rules if teams abide by them. But teams don't.

How about NCAA Bylaw 13.9.2.3? IN 2014 Tennessee had 32 Signed Letters of Intent. Kentucky had 29. Arizona 29, NC State 30. Missouri 29.

I refer you to page 109 at the bottom, you can only have 28 each year, and 85 total on scholarship.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/ncaa-manual.pdf

How many recruits has a school signed from years 2010-2013 four years. Alabama has signed 100. Texas signed 90. NC State 84. Miami Fl 99. LSU 101. Kentucky 101. Tennessee 98. Ohio State 92. USC 76. Wisconsin 74. Nebraska 84. Oregon 87. Missouri 80.

Throw in the 2014 numbers, Kentucky and Tennessee have signed 130 players to scholarships. Alabama has signed 128.

What about the paying of players that is and has been going on for decades?

Ricky Seals Jones, now at Texas A&M, said he was offered $600,000 by a school in the SEC and the ACC.

How about the Sports Illustrated Oklahoma State scandal last year?

What about Auburn? Just google Auburn. Auburn seems to have a scandal every year, but nothing happens.

Sure are a lot of players talking about being paid by boosters, and absolutely nothing is done. It has to be so rampant that the NCAA just gives mouth service by saying don't do that, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You disagree only because Penn State bent over and took it. You need to be blaming Rodney Erickson or else hire Donna Shalala.

If Penn State would have acted like Miami, North Carolina, teams that oversign, the Penn State penalties would have been reduced. Other schools have had CURRENT at the time athletic administrators fiddle-fddle with(cant use the real word) students on campus while employed at that University, but have not had any actions taken against them.

How about NCAA Bylaw 13.9.2.3? IN 2014 Tennessee had 32 Signed Letters of Intent. Kentucky had 29. Arizona 29, NC State 30. Missouri 29.

I refer you to page 109 at the bottom, you can only have 28 each year, and 85 total on scholarship.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/ncaa-manual.pdf

How many recruits has a school signed from years 2010-2013 four years. Alabama has signed 100. Texas signed 90. NC State 84. Miami Fl 99. LSU 101. Kentucky 101. Tennessee 98. Ohio State 92. USC 76. Wisconsin 74. Nebraska 84. Oregon 87. Missouri 80.

Throw in the 2014 numbers, Kentucky and Tennessee have signed 130 players to scholarships. Alabama has signed 128.

Ricky Seals Jones, now at Texas A&M, said he was offered $600,000 by a school in the SEC and the ACC.

What about Auburn? Just google Auburn. Auburn seems to have a scandal every year, but nothing happens.

Sure are a lot of players talking about being paid by boosters, and absolutely nothing is done. It has to be so rampant that the NCAA just gives mouth service by saying don't do that, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Couple things:

1. College football gives next to nothing to the NCAA. Hard to bitch about the NCAA's investigative prowess in football, when they get 0 support.
2. PSU was terrible. The NCAA had no business there. It was a criminal matter. It goes to show the NCAA is reactive in their decision making. If the press is on it, they will get involved.
3. OkState article was based on things outside the statute of limitations. Nice stories, but even if true up enforceable

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rules don't you like?

I want to refer you to page xiv in the NCAA Handbook.

In all non-cash cow sports, these probably hold true. But for football, basketball, and baseball the commitments below are mostly BS. I am even willing to wager less than 20% of the now current athletic directors can even list five out of nine of the "commitments" on that page.

Commitment to Amateurism.

Commitment to fair competition.

Commitment to Integrity.

Commitment to well being of the Student Athlete.

Commitment to Sound Academic Standards.

Commitment to Recruiting Standards.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the NCAA has so much power, didn't everyone in the State of Pennsylvania sue the NCAA? Paternos did. Players did. Trustees did. The Governor did.

Why don't these people support this fine, upstanding entity the NCAA?

Here is a good statistic. the NCAA has nearly $1,000,000,000 in Assets. The NCAA pays Management and General expenses of $100,000,000 and Academic Enhancement is $25,000,000.

Yes, the people at the NCAA offices get four times the amount for Academic Enhancement.

I realize it is the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but aren't the student athletes suppose to be getting educated?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA limits every school to only 25 new football scholarships every year. However, recruits that enroll in January can be counted against the previous year's total if the school had less than 25 sign LOI. That is a hard limit and can only be exceeded in rare occurrences. I know of no specific examples where the NCAA allowed this. It's possible that the NCAA gave Marshall an exception after the 1970 tragedy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The biggest problem that I see with the NCAA isn't so much that they are a paper tiger with no teeth, it's the selective enforcement of their rules, utter lack of common sense in many of their rulings and the fact that they are judge, jury, executioner AND the appellate court.

The NCAA never proves their case against USC and hits them with ridiculously heavy handed sanctions because rather than just kowtow and beg for mercy, USC has the temerity to defend themselves. Then, when USC appeals, the appeal is heard by the exact same people who handed down the punishment in the first place.

They get involved at PSU which was a criminal case, not an NCAA matter and screw that up.

They give tOSU the okay to play in their bowl game after tattoogate and then turn around and vacate the win.

The above doesn't even address the corruption involved in their investigation of Miami or the corruption that we now know about in the USC investigation thanks to the Todd McNair defamation lawsuit.

The NCAA basically needs an enema so they can be purged from Emmert on down and replaced with people who will actually use common sense and sound judgment in their decision making.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to refer you to page xiv in the NCAA Handbook.

In all non-cash cow sports, these probably hold true. But for football, basketball, and baseball the commitments below are mostly BS. I am even willing to wager less than 20% of the now current athletic directors can even list five out of nine of the "commitments" on that page.

Commitment to Amateurism.

Commitment to fair competition.

Commitment to Integrity.

Commitment to well being of the Student Athlete.

Commitment to Sound Academic Standards.

Commitment to Recruiting Standards.

So do you not like these positions, or do you not think the NCAA is holding to schools to them. I can't tell if you think the NCAA has too many rules, or just doesn't enforce the ones they have.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scholarships are issued for one year. Some schools pull them if the player doesn't play well, while other schools give a 4 year scholarship so even if the kid stinks, he keeps his scholarship for all 4 years. It's not up the NCAA which way the school wants to go on this. Some schools also offer 30 scholarships because they know that 5-6 won't qualify for admission. This is why so many kids end up at junior colleges for a year, before the go to a BCS school. The recruiting numbers show how many kids got offers and signed, they don't show how many actually enrolled. As for the scandals, is your complaint that the NCAA is too strict, or that they are soo soft on enforcing their rules.