• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Brown Rips "Reprehensible" NCAA.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is a fine organization.

It is a non-profit that enables athletes at Division 2 and Division 3 schools in small nonrevenue sports enjoy amateur athleticism.

No organization is perfect, but if you only focus on the .000000001% of NCAA athletes at the elite division 1 level, you are completely ignoring the other great parts of collegiate amateur athletics.

Bitter old man needs to go away.....

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has a valid point.

The origins of the NCAA were in the old days. Now, there is BIG MONEY. The NCAAs main purpose was to control the money. They did it with TV, lost that. Now they are pretty much a paper tiger with no teeth.

The main purpose of the NCAA now is to maintain the staus quo so the people at the NCAA keep their jobs, that they don't perform at very well other than pushing papers around from desk to desk.

Cheating is rampant. All colleges flaunt the rules. Students are told they cannot cheat nor accept payments, yet, the Universities all cheat and accept payments.

As a kid, your parents told you not to smoke or drink while they had a glass of bourbon in their hand and smoking a cigarette. They also told you not to cheat, but then many got divorced because of cheating.

I agree with Jim Brown, the NCAA should be eliminated and started anew.

What is better? My ideas are to radical, but I do know that the NCAA in its current form is a laughing stock. Most of us on these boards make fun of the NCAA.

They tried tangling with a hurricane and got punched in the mouf. They will never be the same again..........or until they fire dipshit emmert.

The ncaa does offer cfb protection from sleazy unions tho.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA limits every school to only 25 new football scholarships every year. However, recruits that enroll in January can be counted against the previous year's total if the school had less than 25 sign LOI. That is a hard limit and can only be exceeded in rare occurrences. I know of no specific examples where the NCAA allowed this. It's possible that the NCAA gave Marshall an exception after the 1970 tragedy.

You are incorrect, sir.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem that I see with the NCAA isn't so much that they are a paper tiger with no teeth, it's the selective enforcement of their rules, utter lack of common sense in many of their rulings and the fact that they are judge, jury, executioner AND the appellate court.

The NCAA never proves their case against USC and hits them with ridiculously heavy handed sanctions because rather than just kowtow and beg for mercy, USC has the temerity to defend themselves. Then, when USC appeals, the appeal is heard by the exact same people who handed down the punishment in the first place.

They get involved at PSU which was a criminal case, not an NCAA matter and screw that up.

They give tOSU the okay to play in their bowl game after tattoogate and then turn around and vacate the win.

The above doesn't even address the corruption involved in their investigation of Miami or the corruption that we now know about in the USC investigation thanks to the Todd McNair defamation lawsuit.

The NCAA basically needs an enema so they can be purged from Emmert on down and replaced with people who will actually use common sense and sound judgment in their decision making.

I am with you on most of this. tOSU was guilty and they gave over the evidence, however the punishment may have been to harsh but they were at least guilty. The USC and Miami cases were a mess. We know Reggie took money but the rest is up for debate and it seems the punishment was based on what was not proven.
I think we need a governing body, one with more teeth but they way they are now is horrible.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ncaa does not limit to 25.

....unless recently changed

It has been 25 for as long as I can remember.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf
Limitation on Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings—Bowl
Subdivision Football.
In bowl subdivision football, there shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of
prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid
from December 1 through May 31.
[D]
(Adopted: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, Revised: 1/14/12 effective 8/1/12
And before you object, please note that recruits that enroll in January can be counted against the previous years' limit, up to but not exceeding a total of 25.

We had this discussion a few years ago over at CBS.
Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS]
There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial
counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial
counters) in football at each institution.
(Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 12/15/06)

FCS teams are allowed to sign 30/year with a limit of 63

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been 25 for as long as I can remember.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf
And before you object, please note that recruits that enroll in January can be counted against the previous years' limit, up to but not exceeding a total of 25.

We had this discussion a few years ago over at CBS.

FCS teams are allowed to sign 30/year with a limit of 63

Well, I'm laid up, eating pain pills like candy so I don't feel like researching........but, I think i read last year, or maybe before, the ncaa had a soft 28 limit. The sec was the first to go 25.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm laid up, eating pain pills like candy so I don't feel like researching........but, I think i read last year, or maybe before, the ncaa had a soft 28 limit. The sec was the first to go 25.

The Big Ten for years has had a fairly hard cap at 25 recruits and if you want to go above that you must petition to be able to go higher.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten for years has had a fairly hard cap at 25 recruits and if you want to go above that you must petition to be able to go higher.

Wish I could remember where I read it (guessing ESecPN), but it praised and slobbed all over the sec for being trendsetters n shit.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I could remember where I read it (guessing ESecPN), but it praised and slobbed all over the sec for being trendsetters n shit.

SEC had a limit of 28 in 2011.
SEC caps signees per team at 25, down from 28 - ESPN

This 2012 link is about back counting and reducing the limit to 25.
SEC clarifies rule on ‘back-counting’ recruits | University of Georgia | Macon.com

another 2012 link about the new 25 limit.
SEC learning to live with new 25-player signing cap | AL.com

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you not like these positions, or do you not think the NCAA is holding to schools to them. I can't tell if you think the NCAA has too many rules, or just doesn't enforce the ones they have.

I have no idea why it is so hard for you to understand my stance. I am pretty sure you have to be the only one.

What is this thread called? Jim Brown rips Reprehensible NCAA.

What do I say in post 9?

Post 9

The main purpose of the NCAA now is to maintain the staus quo so the people at the NCAA keep their jobs, that they don't perform at very well other than pushing papers around from desk to desk.

Cheating is rampant. All colleges flaunt the rules. Students are told they cannot cheat nor accept payments, yet, the Universities all cheat and accept payments.

As a kid, your parents told you not to smoke or drink while they had a glass of bourbon in their hand and smoking a cigarette. They also told you not to cheat, but then many got divorced because of cheating.

I agree with Jim Brown, the NCAA should be eliminated and started anew.

Right there, I say that the only purpose of the current NCAA is to validate its own self importance by pushing paper A from Desk A to Desk B to Desk C. The NCAA doesn't do anything other than take home a paycheck in Indianapolis and call it a day.

How about we analyze my post 13 in this thread, pretty sure that first sentence answers your stated question. Teams don't abide by the rules, and most certainly the NCAA doesn't enforce them

I am all for rules if teams abide by them. But teams don't.

How about NCAA Bylaw 13.9.2.3? IN 2014 Tennessee had 32 Signed Letters of Intent. Kentucky had 29. Arizona 29, NC State 30. Missouri 29.

I refer you to page 109 at the bottom, you can only have 28 each year, and 85 total on scholarship.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...caa-manual.pdf

How many recruits has a school signed from years 2010-2013 four years. Alabama has signed 100. Texas signed 90. NC State 84. Miami Fl 99. LSU 101. Kentucky 101. Tennessee 98. Ohio State 92. USC 76. Wisconsin 74. Nebraska 84. Oregon 87. Missouri 80.

Throw in the 2014 numbers, Kentucky and Tennessee have signed 130 players to scholarships. Alabama has signed 128.

What about the paying of players that is and has been going on for decades?

Ricky Seals Jones, now at Texas A&M, said he was offered $600,000 by a school in the SEC and the ACC.

How about the Sports Illustrated Oklahoma State scandal last year?

What about Auburn? Just google Auburn. Auburn seems to have a scandal every year, but nothing happens.

Sure are a lot of players talking about being paid by boosters, and absolutely nothing is done. It has to be so rampant that the NCAA just gives mouth service by saying don't do that, wink wink, nudge nudge.

post 16

Here is a good statistic. the NCAA has nearly $1,000,000,000 in Assets. The NCAA pays Management and General expenses of $100,000,000 and Academic Enhancement is $25,000,000.

Yes, the people at the NCAA offices get four times the amount for Academic Enhancement.

I realize it is the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but aren't the student athletes suppose to be getting educated?

I am not even mentioning the bylaw about using paid recruiters, Willie Lyles, which all schools use.

OK, I will answer your question outright.

The NCAA does not enforce its rules. The only time the NCAA enforces a rule is if the school caves in, like Penn State did. After the fact though, Penn State is now suing the NCAA over being wrongly treated.

Schools don't even care what the rules are. All schools in the NCAA cheat. I highly doubt there is one exception. The amount of money involved a coach has to win so he can maintain his lifestyle. The only way to ensure a win is to outcheat the other schools.

Schools claim to have integrity, they don't. Star Athletes can just about get away with murder as long as they win. We know they can r*pe and get away with it. We know they can steal and get away with it. If I raped your daughter or I stole from your house how would you feel?

Schools claim to have fair competition, yet they all cheat.

Schools claim to have the athlete-student being well treated. This could be perceived as true. They get everything given to them plus, if they are a star. I am pretty sure the student athletes on the field hockey team have no idea what a five star hotel looks like or ever ridden in a chartered jet to a game.

Sound Academic Standards. Completely laughable. The 20% of the cash cow student athletes don't even study. Some can't even read and can barely write. Julius Peppers transcript from North Carolina which was oopsily released already proves that North Carolina makes up classes on transcripts and athlete students did not have to attend classes.

Recruiting Standards. Sure, Ricky Seals JOnes admits to being offered $600,000 to play at an SEC or ACC school. Yup. The only recruiting Standard is to outcheat the other cheaters.

The NCAA does not care as long as they get their paycheck. Once in awhile the NCAA will get lucky, but after how Miami completely stonewalled the NCAA and were able to get out of a convicted felon giving Miami 100s of millions, Nevin Shapiro's name wass on a building, pictures of him giving Shalala a check, pictures of him on the sidelines, stories of him shouting at coaches and game officials, yada yada yada.

It seems pretty obvious there is not just a lot of smoke about scandals, there are actually huge dumpster fires of scandals. Yet, nothing happens on those major ones.

Here is what happens, NCAA busts a school for giving their players too much food. In Nebraska's case, Nebraska was on a violation for actually giving their student athletes TEXTBOOKS for the classes the student athletes were attending. Oh the horror, a college student having to have a textbook.

If I was a school and I am supposedly caught cheating, why I will just throw a bunch of money at some good lawyers and tell the NCAA to jump in a lake.

Last edited by a moderator:

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sound Academic Standards. Completely laughable. The 20% of the cash cow student athletes don't even study. Some can't even read and can barely write. Julius Peppers transcript from North Carolina which was oopsily released already proves that North Carolina makes up classes on transcripts and athlete students did not have to attend classes.

By the way didn't those wacky guys at the NCAA ruled this was an academic issue and not an NCAA violation?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way didn't those wacky guys at the NCAA ruled this was an academic issue and not an NCAA violation?

Yes, because every student in the class got BS grades, not just the athletes. Evidently the NCAA only gets upset when the athletes get a benefit that the regular students don't get.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA should be disbanded. They don't care about the atheletes they care about making money for their top brass. Only under the threat of lawsuits and schools talking about making an effort to make changes do they finally allow schools to feed players more , to feed walkons at all. To cover walk ons for injuries. To lessen penalties for players wanting to change schools because of valid reasons. Walkons were students even more than athletes yet for how many years did they ignore them, not allow the school to feed them? Now all of a sudden with the threat of action they jump right on that. The NCAA doles out penalties selectively or most likely politically. The same offense and the punishment is different. One player suspended for 4 games for accepting money and another suspend 2 games for accepting double the amount. They take the word of a felon that a coach knew but they don;t have enough proof to punish a high profile athlete when schools tell the NCAA the father shopped his son around . Schools punished harsher when the NCAA themselves say the coach didn't know and giving a school less punishment when they have proof a head coach lied to them.