• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry the mastermind

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap troubles? Psh, he knew help would be on the way.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap troubles? Psh, he knew help would be on the way.

:agree: That is why as a fan, I don't understand why you concen yourself with the cap.... I am more concerned with busted & illadvised draft picks!

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: That is why as a fan, I don't understand why you concen yourself with the cap.... I am more concerned with busted & illadvised draft picks!
well because the cap is part of the game now.
you dont win superbowls when you are in cap hell.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree
thus far jerry hasn't won jack and it has nothing to do with being short of money
well I am talking no team wins superbowls being in cap hell. We have a laundry list of reasons why we dont win superbowls

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree
thus far jerry hasn't won jack and it has nothing to do with being short of money

It sure hasn't helped though. Instead of being able to get a decent FA at the positions we are in trouble at we played guys off the street or guys that aren't ready to play a major role for an NFL team at this point in their careers. The funny hting about the cap problems is that they snowball and hurt you more and more each year. So you start by not being able to sign anyone new and you end up both not being able to sign anyone and having to let a bunch of guys go because you can't pay them. I would rather have signed a decent safety last year instead of one we'd cut. Or a decent DL after everyone went down in TC. The poor decisions made this year impact us a couple of years down the road moreso than this year. We as fans don't focus on the fact that it does cost us because we only look at the current year and see us resign guys and sign other guys.

I'm honestly not sure if the cap increase is coming at the best time, or worst time for us...We were so close to learning how to operate within a budget and I wonder now if the sailors just arrived for fleet week again with a hand full of cash!!!

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure hasn't helped though. Instead of being able to get a decent FA at the positions we are in trouble at we played guys off the street or guys that aren't ready to play a major role for an NFL team at this point in their careers. The funny hting about the cap problems is that they snowball and hurt you more and more each year. So you start by not being able to sign anyone new and you end up both not being able to sign anyone and having to let a bunch of guys go because you can't pay them. I would rather have signed a decent safety last year instead of one we'd cut. Or a decent DL after everyone went down in TC. The poor decisions made this year impact us a couple of years down the road moreso than this year. We as fans don't focus on the fact that it does cost us because we only look at the current year and see us resign guys and sign other guys.

I'm honestly not sure if the cap increase is coming at the best time, or worst time for us...We were so close to learning how to operate within a budget and I wonder now if the sailors just arrived for fleet week again with a hand full of cash!!!

Well sure it doesn't help but it's not the reason. The reason is anything but missing talent and lack of money.

"I'm honestly not sure if the cap increase is coming at the best time, or worst time for us...We were so close to learning how to operate within a budget"

Boy....Now I'm curious. What makes you say Jerry was close to leaning how to operate with a budget? I know this board seems to think we were going to downsize. Not me...not the jerry I've come to know.
To me....Jerry has been all about operating within a budget and it's called the salary cap.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they finally had the effects of years of cap mismanagement slam them in the face in the last month or so to the point where they couldn't ignore it. In other years we would never even have to consider cutting Ware or not being able to sign Spencer or Hatcher. They (Stephen) finally started talking about how constantly restructuring isn't a good idea and hurts the future and that they (Jerry) may have given out some contracts they shouldn't have. Now, whether you believe they had the self control to follow it or not, or whether you believe them or not is a different discussion. Like I said earlier, I'm not eve ncertain that I believe it so I can't try to convince others.

Then in one week, the cap goes up and they forget all about it.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you've misread the situation.

The moment Jerry made the commitment to Romo last year was the indicator Jerry will be all in for championships. Jerry & Stephen have been pretty good at the shell game of cap management and the one thing I'm sure of is this ain't changing. Every available dollar. It's about Jerry and his legacy from here on out. Not a chance in hell this team become financially responsible.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team will not make the playoffs with Jerrah meddling in everything. Romo has no faking business changing run plays to pass plays just so he can pad stats. Jerrah gave Romo the power to change the plays whenver he wants. This undermines garret.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team will not make the playoffs with Jerrah meddling in everything. Romo has no faking business changing run plays to pass plays just so he can pad stats. Jerrah gave Romo the power to change the plays whenver he wants. This undermines garret.

:yahoo:..and now for something completely different

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is interesting considering the Philly game with Orton had the same run pass ratio. I guess Jerry could have told Orton he now wields the same Manning power as Romo did.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some ways I feel a bit bad for Garrett. Jerry has cut off both his hands and punched him in the gut since he has become head coach. But then again, he knew he was being asked to be a yes man to Jerry.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the cap hell this team has been flirting with the past few years is absolutely a prime factor in it's inability to compete at a high level (I.e. playoff runs). The lack of depth that has killed this team two years running, is directly attributed to not having money to spend. With a couple solid backups Dallas could conceivably have made the playoffs two years running. But we play guys like Heath and Hayden, and guys of that ilk.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the cap hell this team has been flirting with the past few years is absolutely a prime factor in it's inability to compete at a high level (I.e. playoff runs). The lack of depth that has killed this team two years running, is directly attributed to not having money to spend. With a couple solid backups Dallas could conceivably have made the playoffs two years running. But we play guys like Heath and Hayden, and guys of that ilk.

Seems about every two weeks we have to kick this out again on this board. The absolutely prime factor in Dallas's inability to compete at a high level (I.e. playoff runs) remains player evaluations and maximizing talent through coaching. Dallas remains a country club environment throughout the Valley Ranch halls where the attitude that it all pays the same prevails.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems about every two weeks we have to kick this out again on this board. The absolutely prime factor in Dallas's inability to compete at a high level (I.e. playoff runs) remains player evaluations and maximizing talent through coaching. Dallas remains a country club environment throughout the Valley Ranch halls where the attitude that it all pays the same prevails.

Agree. It's not the Salary Cap holding it's the players Jerry's given that to.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. It's not the Salary Cap holding it's the players Jerry's given that to.

Actually it's both. We went into last season with a ton of holes. Which free agents did we sign to sure up those holes? When you fill your holes through FA, it opens you up to take BPA in the draft. This is more likely to get you great players and also allows you to move on from your current starters and plug those picks in down the road (and save a lot of money by doing so). Going into the draft with the prime purpose being to fill holes instead of signing the best players is a recipe for 8-8...

Last edited by a moderator:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it's both. We went into last season with a ton of holes. Which free agents did we sign to sure up those holes? When you fill your holes through FA, it opens you up to take BPA in the draft. This is more likely to get you great players and also allows you to move on from your current starters and plug those picks in down the road (and save a lot of money by doing so). Going into the draft with the prime purpose being to fill holes instead of signing the best players is a recipe for 8-8...

I c an agree with both but it has a whole lot more with who gets the money. Personally I think the problem is Jerry listens to too many voices, his included. He just can't say no to any player one of those voices talk up. He needs to only listen to his HC, OC, DC and chief scout. Hell it would be better if he'd only listen to them through his HC. As the GM his job is to sign the players the coaches want, make sure we're within the rules doing just that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the choices of who gets the money are paramount. I'm sure someone (if they so choose) could put together a SB favorite on paper choosing only lower priced guys and only using half of the salary cap. But, when your decision maker has no clue what he is doing, it's a lot easier to put a team together with a lot of money and when that money tightens up, so does his ability to put a good team on the field. But drafting is of course always one of the most important factors. Good draft picks keep your cap low and also fill your team (or not) with a lot of talent.