• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry the mastermind

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if someone wrote a book on how to be a GM in the NFL would Jerry read it?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pday and Manster, I agree with both of you that who Jerry gives the money to is a huge problem. But it is not the only side of the problem. The constant restructures kill the cap, I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Same as I know Jerry is THE PROBLEM. But by turning this into a debate about WHO Jerry pays and not HOW MUCH Jerry pays them, makes this sort of like a "chicken and the egg" argument. Which came first? If Jerry didn't over pay these guys, and gave them deals based on appropriate market value, we would not be half as bad off as we are. Brandon Carr is a prime example. Jerry was bidding against himself via the media with Brandon Carr. And he was the first (and only) sucker in line to hand Carr $50 million. If he doesn't over pay him, maybe we could have had a serviceable safety last year?

I understand the talent evaluation needs to improve, but I also understand that some of the guys we have over paid are good players worth having. And it's not like Dallas is the only team to miss on guys. But we sure are in a class of our own when it comes to overpaying players.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it's both. We went into last season with a ton of holes. Which free agents did we sign to sure up those holes? When you fill your holes through FA, it opens you up to take BPA in the draft. This is more likely to get you great players and also allows you to move on from your current starters and plug those picks in down the road (and save a lot of money by doing so). Going into the draft with the prime purpose being to fill holes instead of signing the best players is a recipe for 8-8...

this was maybe both last season but when you look at the entire body of work....it's purely the absolute far and away NUMBER ONE reason.

Overall player evaluations and maximizing talent through coaching.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pday and Manster, I agree with both of you that who Jerry gives the money to is a huge problem. But it is not the only side of the problem. The constant restructures kill the cap, I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Same as I know Jerry is THE PROBLEM. But by turning this into a debate about WHO Jerry pays and not HOW MUCH Jerry pays them, makes this sort of like a "chicken and the egg" argument. Which came first? If Jerry didn't over pay these guys, and gave them deals based on appropriate market value, we would not be half as bad off as we are. Brandon Carr is a prime example. Jerry was bidding against himself via the media with Brandon Carr. And he was the first (and only) sucker in line to hand Carr $50 million. If he doesn't over pay him, maybe we could have had a serviceable safety last year?

I understand the talent evaluation needs to improve, but I also understand that some of the guys we have over paid are good players worth having. And it's not like Dallas is the only team to miss on guys. But we sure are in a class of our own when it comes to overpaying players.

which to me is pure player evaluations....
The stupid train started with Oklahoma Roy and contines

Scandrick. TWICE!
Spencer? 10 mill and seattle signed 2 better DE's for the same 10M.
Ratliff?..... Really & Why?
Austin?....what after two good seasons you pay him like he's arrived on NFL greatness's door

Decisions decisions.

Remember, gotta spend 95% of the cap each year. It's all on how you divide that pie and your ability to make sure the guys pulling the most weight has the bigger slices

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr was overpaid but that was the market. Look What the Rams did with the Titans corner that year. That set the market and neither team has gotton their money. That is the case way more often than not in free agency.

All and All.....I can work with what Carr brings to the table for the remainder of his contract. He was butt ugly last year but all and all, he's not that bad of a football player

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah just cut costa. I flat out said he sucked and was faking trash the first time I saw him play. The secondarys version of Costa is Heath. Heath flat out sucks and would be lucky to make another teams practice squad. But we get to hear how Heath has upside and it will take our gm another wasted year to figure out that does indeed SUCK

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which to me is pure player evaluations....
The stupid train started with Oklahoma Roy and contines

Scandrick. TWICE!
Spencer? 10 mill and seattle signed 2 better DE's for the same 10M.
Ratliff?..... Really & Why?
Austin?....what after two good seasons you pay him like he's arrived on NFL greatness's door

Decisions decisions.

Remember, gotta spend 95% of the cap each year. It's all on how you divide that pie and your ability to make sure the guys pulling the most weight has the bigger slices

Everyone of those examples are cases of Jerry bidding against himself. If those players don't get over paid in the first place, they don't have to be restructured. And if Dallas doesn't have to continuously restructure these deals, they can reallocate some resources to better organizational depth. Depth has been shockingly bad for years now.

Having the the ability to judge those re-signings in hindsight sure makes it easier. Austin was a guy we had to re-sign, but did we we have to give him so much money? I seem to remember people being angry about the money when it came to Scandrick, not the fact that we re-signed him. When it came to Ratliff, that was a dumb Jerry move. And Spencer too.

I think we are on the same side of this argument, just coming at it from different perspectives. Some of these signing wouldn't be such bad "evaluations" if they had been signed to less money.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone of those examples are cases of Jerry bidding against himself. If those players don't get over paid in the first place, they don't have to be restructured. And if Dallas doesn't have to continuously restructure these deals, they can reallocate some resources to better organizational depth. Depth has been shockingly bad for years now.

Having the the ability to judge those re-signings in hindsight sure makes it easier. Austin was a guy we had to re-sign, but did we we have to give him so much money? I seem to remember people being angry about the money when it came to Scandrick, not the fact that we re-signed him. When it came to Ratliff, that was a dumb Jerry move. And Spencer too.

I think we are on the same side of this argument, just coming at it from different perspectives. Some of these signing wouldn't be such bad "evaluations" if they had been signed to less money.

those signing were pure evaluations, nothing but
jerry did over pay for his own. That has been jerry biggest problem from the start...overvaluing his own.

There are many poor jerrism's but poor evaluations and poor coaching remain at the top for me. certainly not any lack of money. Depth? LOL, jerry hasn't had a clue since the 09 season. It's been establishing a depth chart of starters through HIS established pay scale and filling in with good special team traits. Jerry and his band of yes men seem to always be the last to know what the hell is what.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was maybe both last season but when you look at the entire body of work....it's purely the absolute far and away NUMBER ONE reason.

Overall player evaluations and maximizing talent through coaching.

No doubt if you want to lump draft decisions, decisions about who we sign, who we resign (and the $ value we assign to those players) and who we start/play under the term of "player evaluations" then that would be the number one reason for sure. I guess my main point is they are really all related. When you give a guy like Free a contract like they did and you only have a finite amount of cap room it impacts everything else you can do. Now if you also don't get impact players in the draft you have holes and a cap problem and no way to fill those holes. So yeah, bad judgement about the players is a component of all of the problems.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jerry did over pay for his own. That has been jerry biggest problem from the start...overvaluing his own

Jerry is like that fantasy owner that overvalues his players so badly that when anyone tries to trade with them the exchange and what they expect back for their players is borderline comical.

I honestly think its because he knows so little about most of the players in the NFL (only what others tell him) that when we have a guy that's good he is unable to see that there are 10 more just like him around the league...no player should ever be paid more than his value to the team. Weaknesses can force you to have to give them more than their actual value, but never should you give them more than they are worth to you.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry is like that fantasy owner that overvalues his players so badly that when anyone tries to trade with them the exchange and what they expect back for their players is borderline comical.

I honestly think its because he knows so little about most of the players in the NFL (only what others tell him) that when we have a guy that's good he is unable to see that there are 10 more just like him around the league...no player should ever be paid more than his value to the team. Weaknesses can force you to have to give them more than their actual value, but never should you give them more than they are worth to you.

Bingo! Jerry doesn't do the leg work that every other GM in the NFL does. While competing GM's are out doing their homework on potential future roster additions, Jerry is out trying to get the next mega event to take place in Jerry World. Or Jerry is out doing NFL business. Or Jerry is out boozing it up. etc. The fact is he does not, nor can he put in the amount of time other GMs in football do. So when it comes time for free agency or time to re-sign someone, Jerry is always caught with his pants around his ankles because he didn't do the homework necessary to make an informed decision. So instead of taking potential risk, he throws money at the problems. The problem being Jerry's incompetence as a GM.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jerry did over pay for his own. That has been jerry biggest problem from the start...overvaluing his own.

There are many poor jerrism's but poor evaluations and poor coaching remain at the top for me. certainly not any lack of money. Depth? LOL, jerry hasn't had a clue since the 09 season. It's been establishing a depth chart of starters through HIS established pay scale and filling in with good special team traits. Jerry and his band of yes men seem to always be the last to know what the hell is what.

I would even go back farther than that. 2003 Jerry was adamant about Quincy Carter, giving up the 2 #1's for Roy Williams, ETC., etc., Keep setting us back 3-5 years.