• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Brewer article and more

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jerry Brewer is a columnist recently transplanted from Seattle. His articles have been thought provoking and well written with a decidedly different tone and tenor than I've recently see from many local articles written about the Skins.

Perhaps it's because he comes from an area and has written about a franchise that has known and built recent success.

Excerpt

OK, I get it now.

The Washington Redskins are to catastrophe what Apple is to technology. They didn’t invent their specialty, but they have reimagined its possibilities.

Despite all the seemingly outlandish tales of dysfunction that have been told during Daniel Snyder’s 16 years of ownership, it’s impossible to prepare for how jarring it is to experience up close for the first time. I’ve covered misguided franchises, but this is unprecedented pandemonium. There’s a persistent storm, and even though there are pieces in place now to remedy the problem, there might not be enough umbrellas to keep everyone dry. In this weather, good intentions can get flooded easily.

The team has yet to play its third preseason game, and it already feels like the season is starting to rot amid endless Robert Griffin III controversies and uncertainty over Coach Jay Gruden’s authority and injuries and miscommunication and cynicism. If the franchise doesn’t stabilize soon, the drama could stunt the growth of a rebuilding plan that actually has an upside.

There’s no doubt in my mind that, if new General Manager Scot McCloughan implements his plan without interference, the Redskins will have the talent in a few seasons to build a sustainable winner. He is part of a team-building tree that, for nearly 25 years, has created champions across the NFL. And McCloughan has been a significant contributor to some of that greatness.

But for all the optimism Washington should be enjoying, it’s increasingly clear every day that truly getting off the ground is the ultimate challenge. The dysfunction must diminish before it interferes with the momentum of this rebuilding.

McCloughan has had a solid start, adding talent without hindering future salary-cap flexibility and carrying through with a vision to make this a more physical team with a deeper roster that is less dependent on identifying a quarterback savior.

Nevertheless, after an encouraging training camp that featured a good, workmanlike vibe around the team, the Redskins have reverted back to chaos the past two weeks. While some of the issues are the result of extreme media scrutiny, the controversies aren’t imaginary. Griffin is still tone deaf when making public remarks, and though he has shown some signs of improvement in practice, he hasn’t done anything in two preseason games, outside of throwing near certain 61-yard touchdown pass that Pierre Garcon dropped. Gruden has been unconvincing in his defense of starting Griffin. It’s obvious the coach has reservations about whether Griffin can prosper in this offense, which led to the decision to keep the quarterback in the game and suffer too much abuse against Detroit last week.

Griffin suffered a concussion in that game. We think.

Even the injury report is up for debate at Redskins Park.

Don’t expect any clarity from Griffin. Not on whether he truly has a concussion. Not on how to divide the responsibility for all the pressure he faced against Detroit. And definitely not on whether Gruden should’ve him put him back in the Detroit game for a painful fourth series that ended with him lying helmet-first on the turf.

“As we like to say, I just work here, man,” Griffin said Thursday, speaking publicly for the first time since the Lions debacle.

Griffin seems fatigued, not defiant or even resigned. No athlete in town lives under a microscope like he does, and at the same time, no athlete invites so much attention without being able to properly pacify it. On Thursday, he had another chance to diffuse a situation with a little personality, candor and self-awareness. Instead, he came off proud and aloof, and he squandered an opportunity to gain some locker-room affinity by not making a point to defend his maligned offensive line.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Cali, we just need to accept

We are Groundhogs day, the animated series in 3D with subtitles, spinoffs are already contracted for star characters and action figures are in production as I type. :dhd:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Cali, we just need to accept

We are Groundhogs day, the animated series in 3D with subtitles, spinoffs are already contracted for star characters and action figures are in production as I type. :dhd:
I refuse to give up all hope dammit!:lol:

Btw, what did you think of the article? Some great points. I know many may not agree but I completely agreed with the point on Galette. And it won't be a bad thing to see Trent and Preston get the opportunity to grow and develop.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lake Lewis has also been providing some excellent and balanced skins reporting. Give him a follow if you're on Twitter.

I'm simply exhausted with some of the journalism I've seen lately. Not saying Griffin hasn't brought a lot on himself but things continue to be too personal and have gone way beyond the Xs and Os. That isn't right. And it isn't professional sports media.

I have no problem with criticism of his play, but the excessive bashing by certain media folk (ahem...Jason Reid:L) is beyond absurd at this point.

Not to mention that all this obsessive Griffin reporting shoves the reporting and focus of the rest of the 52.

Today Lake tweeted out some really interesting thoughts that follow about DC media...

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I refuse to give up all hope dammit!:lol:

Btw, what did you think of the article? Some great points. I know many may not agree but I completely agreed with the point on Galette. And it won't be a bad thing to see Trent and Preston get the opportunity to grow and develop.

Oh he makes some good points through out the article. I tend to disagree on the Galette thing for two reasons.

1. The so called baggage he came with is mostly due to unfounded charges outside of the Saints release. And on that we have seen some other (what I would call suspect) releases around the league as well. D-Jax comes to mind.

2. While I agree Smith and Murphy could use the reps, I see no problem with replacing them with a known commodity on the cheap and allowing them to actually learn in a less than MUST perform or else environment.

The only way to pull this team out of prepetual rebuild mode is to have some success on the field. And right now that means actually winning with the defense, as the offense is expected to be a train wreck once again.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh he makes some good points through out the article. I tend to disagree on the Galette thing for two reasons.

1. The so called baggage he came with is mostly due to unfounded charges outside of the Saints release. And on that we have seen some other (what I would call suspect) releases around the league as well. D-Jax comes to mind.

2. While I agree Smith and Murphy could use the reps, I see no problem with replacing them with a known commodity on the cheap and allowing them to actually learn in a less than MUST perform or else environment.

The only way to pull this team out of prepetual rebuild mode is to have some success on the field. And right now that means actually winning with the defense, as the offense is expected to be a train wreck once again.
All good financial and football reasons.

Even if there are no charges and the Saints are currently trying to not pay Galette a few mill based on that beach video, there were enough other character flags for me to not like the signing

I particularly hated the Twitter rant Galette went on when he left the Saints. Talk about dysfunctional and lacking character!? The guy posted private info about a fellow players wife who had cheated on him. And private info about other teammates and his coach.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good financial and football reasons.

Even if there are no charges and the Saints are currently trying to not pay Galette a few mill based on that beach video, there were enough other character flags for me to not like the signing

I particularly hated the Twitter rant Galette went on when he left the Saints. Talk about dysfunctional and lacking character!? The guy posted private info about a fellow players wife who had cheated on him. And private info about other teammates and his coach.

Cali.. I am by no means saying the guy is a saint. But reality is, if you dig deep enough most people arent. I mean who knew our QB savior was a narcissist??

As for the reporting centering around RG3, the only way thats fixed is if the team is not centered around him. Look at the Seahags. RW is the QB, but that team is all about the defense and ground game... and oh yea they have a QB.

Thats what this team needs to get back to. Because while Joe T was the pitch man back in the heyday, we all know the Skins won or lost based on riggo, The Hogs and the defense.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali.. I am by no means saying the guy is a saint. But reality is, if you dig deep enough most people arent. I mean who knew our QB savior was a narcissist??

As for the reporting centering around RG3, the only way thats fixed is if the team is not centered around him. Look at the Seahags. RW is the QB, but that team is all about the defense and ground game... and oh yea they have a QB.

Thats what this team needs to get back to. Because while Joe T was the pitch man back in the heyday, we all know the Skins won or lost based on riggo, The Hogs and the defense.
He was let go by the Saints and they are paying him a shitload of money to have let him go ....think on that for a second. That says something.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was let go by the Saints and they are paying him a shitload of money to have let him go ....think on that for a second. That says something.

And the Eagles took a slightly less cap hit to release D-Jax. I guess it comes down to do you trust the GM or dont you?? I hedge that with saying the only player exempt from the GM rule is the one player who is currently the biggest pain in the arse for both the GM and the HC. Until proven otherwise the off field stuff to me is all accusation. The Saints release of him does hold some water, but I think it could just as easily be said that the Saints thought they were getting a lockerroom leader, and when THAT aspect didnt work out and in fact likely backfired, it was determined to take the cap hit rather than risk further damage. Dexter Manley was a sack artist, but I doubt the coaches expected him to lead the locker room.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Eagles took a slightly less cap hit to release D-Jax. I guess it comes down to do you trust the GM or dont you?? I hedge that with saying the only player exempt from the GM rule is the one player who is currently the biggest pain in the arse for both the GM and the HC. Until proven otherwise the off field stuff to me is all accusation. The Saints release of him does hold some water, but I think it could just as easily be said that the Saints thought they were getting a lockerroom leader, and when THAT aspect didnt work out and in fact likely backfired, it was determined to take the cap hit rather than risk further damage. Dexter Manley was a sack artist, but I doubt the coaches expected him to lead the locker room.
I do trust the GM but it doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision. Overall I like what I've seen. And I expect that he will make the right call if it's time to cut ties with Griffin. I just hope it's in a timely decisive manner, if it has to be done.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect choir boys but I also thought we were looking to build with high character guys. No need to say and emphasize the high character aspect, if that's not going to play out the first time a tempting red flag low $$ guy comes along. That's why I thought it odd.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect choir boys but I also thought we were looking to build with high character guys. No need to say and emphasize the high character aspect, if that's not going to play out the first time a tempting red flag low $$ guy comes along. That's why I thought it odd.

Again I will simply say that high character is subjective, examples.. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton. Bottom line is its a business decision to have brought in Galette. Now due to the injury it has failed before it even began. But if he had played, and played well, and stayed out of the news, a year from now the only people talking about him being a sub chief in the slapahoe tribe would have been Eagles, Cowboys and Giants fans.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I will simply say that high character is subjective, examples.. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton. Bottom line is its a business decision to have brought in Galette. Now due to the injury it has failed before it even began. But if he had played, and played well, and stayed out of the news, a year from now the only people talking about him being a sub chief in the slapahoe tribe would have been Eagles, Cowboys and Giants fans.

Lmao @ subchief!

High character isn't that subjective a term to me. Just say good football players then. DC needs some honesty from this franchise.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao @ subchief!

High character isn't that subjective a term to me. Just say good football players then. DC needs some honesty from this franchise.

Its a subjective term with every one. Because what you or I might consider a questionable person, the next guy might think is a model citizen. What you or I would consider a serious character flaw, might be just considered some one elses personality quirk. And honest and Franchise is an oxymoron if there ever was one.

Hell next you will be quoting me Military intelligence doctrine. :)

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sky is falling - the sky is falling. Please. So according to this article all of the drama with RG3 basically negates whatever other progress has been made overall? Laughable. I have been saying for a while that I don't expect anything from RG3 (nor Cousins) but expect improvement overall.

Improvement does not have to be measured strictly by wins and losses & playoff appearances. This is a long term effort. If say they start to develop a defense that stops teams the majority of the time & an offensive line that is solid towards the end of the season (all very doable IMO) that would be major progress.

Improvement at QB would just be a bonus. If it doesn't occur then they address it next offseason. The RG3 situation will take care of itself. If he doesn't show any real improvement early in the season I have no doubt that he will be destined for the bench. After that Cousins will have his chance to show if he has learned from his mistakes.

As for Galette (& even RG3) - these stories will be mostly forgotten down the road (& even if they are not - who cares). This is 2015 & new stories are derived every other day that take what appears to be important & moves it to the back page. Also - as I stated previously - I believe that Galette got somewhat of a bad rap on that beach incident - just watch the video & make up your own mind.

I just have to laugh at reporters & others who are ready to make up their mind about this team before even one real game has been played. I also don't appreciate judging everything about the Redskins simply based on RG3. If RG3 continues to play poorly & run his mouth trust me he will be an ex-Redskin & at least for me I won't really care about him anymore.

HTTR