• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jay cutler signs 7 year deal with the bears

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and Bennett vs. Golden Tate? Sidney Rice (Lol), and Zach Miller.

Right..... Seattle and Chicago's O-Lines were probably equally bad and tie between the two runningbacks. Yah Seattle had a great defense, but Cutler's stats are probably causing more losses than wins. Cutler is a turnover machine, not as bad as Eli, but your defense is not going to be near as good when QBs are fumbling/sacking/intercepting non-stop.

Didn't the Bears have like the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring offense in the NFL this season? I'm pretty sure it was the Bears' 30th ranked defense, not Cutler, that caused most of Chicago's losses. Cutler had a passer rating in the 90s and 100s in 7 out of the 10 games he played in. The only thing he can be criticized for is missing a good amount of time with injury, but McCown filled in very well. Offense was NOT Chicago's problem this season.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew he would get the big money. Just didn't know if the Bears would be the team to do it. Its obvious to me that the Bears are changing their ways now. The days of defense and running game are slowly fading away. The QB impacts the game more than ever, and the Bears realize this. Probably a good move. Is he worth the money? Probably not. But what other choice did they have?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew he would get the big money. Just didn't know if the Bears would be the team to do it. Its obvious to me that the Bears are changing their ways now. The days of defense and running game are slowly fading away. The QB impacts the game more than ever, and the Bears realize this. Probably a good move. Is he worth the money? Probably not. But what other choice did they have?

This is a really good post. I think you're spot on with everything. QBack is so vital now in today's league that teams are willing to pony up big money for consistent above average QBs that haven't necessarily dominated the playoffs/SBOWL.

And you're also spot on with "What choice did they have?" They were not in a position to reliably draft someone without doing some boneheaded trade like the Skins did and that sets a team further back than anything (trading away the farm for one position, even a QB). There was hardly any good QBs available in FA either...

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a really good post. I think you're spot on with everything. QBack is so vital now in today's league that teams are willing to pony up big money for consistent above average QBs that haven't necessarily dominated the playoffs/SBOWL.

And you're also spot on with "What choice did they have?" They were not in a position to reliably draft someone without doing some boneheaded trade like the Skins did and that sets a team further back than anything (trading away the farm for one position, even a QB). There was hardly any good QBs available in FA either...

Exactly. :agree: It will be interesting to see what they do next in the offseason. One of the more interesting teams to watch this offseason.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. :agree: It will be interesting to see what they do next in the offseason. One of the more interesting teams to watch this offseason.

This was tge best move fot the team despite the few who get wood everytime his name comes up.and with slauson also signing a 4 year deal they can now move on and address the spot on the team that actually needed to be fixed

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder what he would have gotten had he beaten the packers....

He is better than McCown but prone to injury, never won anything, made like 1 playoff appearance and bailed on that one.....I read that he will get 17-19 mil per yr for the first 3 or something....
I got one word; CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZYYYY.....:doh:

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is better than McCown but prone to injury, never won anything, made like 1 playoff appearance and bailed on that one.....I read that he will get 17-19 mil per yr for the first 3 or something....

there is nothing crazy about it. Who else would they have gotten? shaub? serious downgrade based on last season.a rookie? take a look at last year's rookie crop and what they did this season. Nothing to get exicted about there and would also be a downgrade. You say he never has done anything yet he has done more than just about all before him in chicago, plus the fact that the bears had one of the top offenses in the nfl with a first year coach. The fact that it is even debated is funny

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thank you golden spur for your comment on the other board and it was spot on. I have no hate for anyone and the day you catch me on a a packers board or thread slamming a team and its fans by all means delete me i will take no offense

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right on, I know packer fans are celebrating:lol:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal. Jay will shine in this offense. Its a 3 year 54 mil deal in reality. You haters have a better option. Do share.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the length of the contract suggests it may be severely back end loaded to be more cap friendly

good decision to re-sign him if you ask me - absolutely nothing wrong with that offense

This is what us being reported. They signed Cutler for the seven years to make cap room up front. Only 50 mil is guaranteed in the contract.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd lean on this being an acceptable deal. As others pointed out, its really only 3 to 4 years for 50 mil. Cutler isn't elite, but he's capable of being top 10. And we've seen under the right circumstances, you can win Super Bowls without elite QBs but top 10ish ones (Flacco, Eli, etc). Who were the Bears gonna get? They have no shot at Bridgewater or Manziel but would be in position for guys like Murry, McCarron, Mettenberger, etc. So the question is do you save some cash and hope one of those guys can develop quickly enough or spend a little bit for a known commodity?

Really the Bears need to revamp their defense. Hopefully for Bears fans, this deal won't eat up too much cap to sign defensive players

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Bears have like the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring offense in the NFL this season? I'm pretty sure it was the Bears' 30th ranked defense, not Cutler, that caused most of Chicago's losses. Cutler had a passer rating in the 90s and 100s in 7 out of the 10 games he played in. The only thing he can be criticized for is missing a good amount of time with injury, but McCown filled in very well. Offense was NOT Chicago's problem this season.

This.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no better options unless the Bears are looking to rebuild. Which may have been the better option. Their defense is horrendous and the offense is decent. I think this deal ensures the Bears will have about 4-7 more years of mediocrity. I'm not trying to be a hater, just calling it as I see it.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no better options unless the Bears are looking to rebuild. Which may have been the better option. Their defense is horrendous and the offense is decent. I think this deal ensures the Bears will have about 4-7 more years of mediocrity. I'm not trying to be a hater, just calling it as I see it.

ditto, its like that saying its better to be really bad than just mediocre. However thats really more of an NBA mindset so it might not apply. I personally think if the bears thought they had a shot at one of the big qbs in the draft this year they may have taken one and resigned mccown but who knows.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is nothing crazy about it. Who else would they have gotten? shaub? serious downgrade based on last season.a rookie? take a look at last year's rookie crop and what they did this season. Nothing to get exicted about there and would also be a downgrade. You say he never has done anything yet he has done more than just about all before him in chicago, plus the fact that the bears had one of the top offenses in the nfl with a first year coach. The fact that it is even debated is funny

I'm not knocking Jay, just saying it was a bad deal for your team....That much cap tied up in a player that can't play a full season and is getting old now is not very prudent in my opinion.....But you know stats don't mean nothing if you ain't winning something...