• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jack Z fired.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god that Mather contradicted himself by saying he'll let the new GM make the ultimate decision.

Although we all collectively hate the Mariners leadership, I must say they definitely have handled this parting with class.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god that Mather contradicted himself by saying he'll let the new GM make the ultimate decision.

Although we all collectively hate the Mariners leadership, I must say they definitely have handled this parting with class.

The only time I can remember anything real ugly was the Wedge/Jack/Chuck ordeal. Even though Lou hated management there was still class with that breakup

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just came on to post the same article. Good read...and Jack was nuts.

Loved this part:

“I expect a better brand of baseball accountability, acceptance of young players, raised expectations for all of our players and coaching staff and a sense of urgency … Don: I am not in the mood to accept less than excellence. You can deliver this message to your staff in any way you see fit.”

– Jack Zduriencik email to manager Don Wakamatsu during 2010 All-Star break, one month before firing him

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just came on to post the same article. Good read...and Jack was nuts.

Loved this part:

“I expect a better brand of baseball accountability, acceptance of young players, raised expectations for all of our players and coaching staff and a sense of urgency … Don: I am not in the mood to accept less than excellence. You can deliver this message to your staff in any way you see fit.”

– Jack Zduriencik email to manager Don Wakamatsu during 2010 All-Star break, one month before firing him

the article lays out a pattern of z's actions that were slimy, and where he took zero accountability for the shitty rosters he saddled his staff with for more than half a decade.

baker also reminded everybody of the article he wrote months ago calling out the top of the front office.

Dysfunction at the top: Eric Wedge, others point to trouble in Mariners’ front office

the ones at the very top are the ones ultimately to blame for the culture of non-accountability and utter incompetence that z cultivated, imo.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Mariners president Kevin Mather says he waited too long to fire GM Jack Zduriencik, Art Thiel of Sportspress Northwest writes. “I’m not a baseball guy,” says Mather. “I kept waiting for them to rattle off eight out of 10, 12 out of 15, to get on a roll. I maybe dragged my feet . . . I waited too long to start asking myself tough questions about why we’re not having more success.” A year ago, Mather rewarded Zduriencik’s for the Mariners’ 71-59 record by signing him to a two-year extension. Now, Mather seems to have changed his mind entirely.
  • Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon is saddened by Zduriencik’s departure, Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times writes. “Jack was very dedicated to this organization, and it’s always tough when you lose a family member. I consider Jack a family member,” McClendon says. “It’s just been one of those years where a lot of things just have not turned out the way we thought it would.” Mather has said that he plans to recommend to Zduriencik’s successor that McClendon and his staff remain in their current jobs, although those decisions will ultimately be up to the new GM.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't even being negative what in the hell did he see in this team that they would rip off 12 and 3 in 15 games? They didn't have a proven staff nor a stable enough of a lineup to go on a tear. It was team that shouldn't go on long losing streaks but not consistent enough to go on a roll which is where most fans threw up their hands when they dug themselves such a hole.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't even being negative what in the hell did he see in this team that they would rip off 12 and 3 in 15 games? They didn't have a proven staff nor a stable enough of a lineup to go on a tear. It was team that shouldn't go on long losing streaks but not consistent enough to go on a roll which is where most fans threw up their hands when they dug themselves such a hole.

He did say he wasn't a baseball guy...lol.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an abysmal tenure.. right there on par with Bill Fking Bavasi.
I still think Bavasi would have helped relocate the team had we kept him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Bavasi would have helped relocate the team had we kept him.

Bill Bavasi and Jack actually were similar because they were hired because of getting credit for others work, difference was Bavasi was strictly brought in to keep the big club competitive as Jack was a glorified scout. Jack's only strength in baseball was scouting and unfortunately he failed on everyone except an after thought draft pick in Seager.

Kernz

Sativa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank god
Finally.

But taking so long shows how unaware / ignorant the organization is / was.

A new beginning (again).

But at least that charlatan is gone. He played he con a long time.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept waiting for them to rattle off eight out of 10, 12 out of 15, to get on a roll. I maybe dragged my feet . . . I waited too long to start asking myself tough questions about why we’re not having more success.”

McClendon spewed that "wait till we get on winning streak" garbage all year too. Your not entitled to a good stretch of baseball just by being 1 of 30 major league teams. Too much shit including dumb mistakes by the front office and coaching staff prevented that from happening. Either way if this team won 12 of 15 and got back to around .500 what difference does that make? Would that have meant Jack Z would have stayed, if they finished 80-82 or something? This organization may say they want to win but I honestly don't think they know how.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess in a way we should thank the media for over-estimating this team last March. The reality is that they really aren't under-achieving as much this year as they were over-achieving last year (due primarily from an unexpected season-long dominant performance from the bullpen).

But if that hadn't been humped to hell and back by the media last winter-spring, Jack's job might still be safe.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess in a way we should thank the media for over-estimating this team last March. The reality is that they really aren't under-achieving as much this year as they were over-achieving last year (due primarily from an unexpected season-long dominant performance from the bullpen).

But if that hadn't been humped to hell and back by the media last winter-spring, Jack's job might still be safe.

"Cautiously optimistic" -- these were the words I used all off-season and it came to fruition. Can't really expect much from this team anymore. They'll have one year where no one bother caring about them and they will do well. Then fall flat on their face in the face of expectations.

Some say they "underachieved" this year.. but perhaps they overachieved last season. I knew the pitching was too good to be true.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-4 since Z was fired.

at this pace, had he been fired at the all star break - 75-65

at this pace, had he been fired after 7 game losing streak in June - 80-60.

Not saying it would've happened, but the team seems to like playing without Z....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time for the Mariners to move on from Chris Gwynn and the director of player development?