• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jack Jones.......................................

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my UK non gun culture perspective: Gun on a plane? That's a big no-no. Gun in an airport? meh. Is an airport that different from having a gun in a car or a shopping centre? I know it is legally, but meh. It sounds like an 'I forgot' type of incident.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my UK non gun culture perspective: Gun on a plane? That's a big no-no. Gun in an airport? meh. Is an airport that different from having a gun in a car or a shopping centre? I know it is legally, but meh. It sounds like an 'I forgot' type of incident.

I don't know. I was at LAX a few days ago and there was a fuck load of people there. Might've caused a bit of commotion and concern if somebody pulled out a gun.......or two. They found them when his bags were being scanned so he's either a giant idiot or he intended to bring loaded guns on an airplane.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose if he was near baggage claim its not a big deal, but if he were heading to a flight it's a huge deal.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
carrying a loaded firearm and possession of a large-capacity feeding device.
This is the part I really don't get. I mean, I think the whole idea of bringing a gun with you on a trip is stupid but having a loaded weapon at an airport in this era of high security just blows my mind. How do you not think that you will get got?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I was at LAX a few days ago and there was a fuck load of people there. Might've caused a bit of commotion and concern if somebody pulled out a gun.......or two. They found them when his bags were being scanned so he's either a giant idiot or he intended to bring loaded guns on an airplane.
I suppose if he was near baggage claim its not a big deal, but if he were heading to a flight it's a huge deal.
Transporting firearms within America in accordance with the law doesn't seem to be a big deal, (at least from my ignorant position).

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

I understand how people could get the rules wrong or forget what they're carrying. Obviously that doesn't excuse people from the consequences, but as a society if you allow guns, planes, and guns on planes then you have to expect the occasional fuck-up, especially if someone is making 20+ plane trips a year. US legal principles differentiate between the worst case of what could have happened and what actually did happen. Killing someone as a consequence of driving drunk is a big thing whereas driving dunk and not having an accident seems to get a slap on the wrist. At this point i'm not seeing a major crime. I remember Barry Switzer doing something similar in 1997. He pleaded guilty and was fined $3,500. (The Cowboys then fined him $75,000). I don't know if the law has changed significantly or if Jones has had other legal issues.

...now if this had been Antonio Brown...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transporting firearms within America in accordance with the law doesn't seem to be a big deal, (at least from my ignorant position).

I understand how people could get the rules wrong or forget what they're carrying. Obviously that doesn't excuse people from the consequences, but as a society if you allow guns, planes, and guns on planes then you have to expect the occasional fuck-up, especially if someone is making 20+ plane trips a year. US legal principles differentiate between the worst case of what could have happened and what actually did happen. Killing someone as a consequence of driving drunk is a big thing whereas driving dunk and not having an accident seems to get a slap on the wrist. At this point i'm not seeing a major crime. I remember Barry Switzer doing something similar in 1997. He pleaded guilty and was fined $3,500. (The Cowboys then fined him $75,000). I don't know if the law has changed significantly or if Jones has had other legal issues.

When something becomes a problem in our justice system, there is a counter-reaction.
The counter-reaction are minimum sentences. This takes it out of the courts hands.
When MADD got involved in drunk driving, the reaction was minimum sentences for DUI"s.
After 911, minimum sentences resulted for guns on a plane.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure how anyone can be confused enough to bring a firearm through a TSA security checkpoint. It's well known you cannot carry a WEAPON on board an aircraft.

I'm for gun ownership, but it has to be responsible gun ownership. If I'm carrying I can't just forget you have it on me, and its my responsibility know gun laws of anyplace I'm going to transit

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how anyone can be confused enough to bring a firearm through a TSA security checkpoint. It's well known you cannot carry a WEAPON on board an aircraft.

I'm for gun ownership, but it has to be responsible gun ownership. If I'm carrying I can't just forget you have it on me, and its my responsibility know gun laws of anyplace I'm going to transit
People put guns in the glove compartment of their car and forget it's there. This seems to happen often. Responsible gun ownership is like responsible anything else. Personal freedoms always clash with social responsibility, and the US favours personal freedoms over social responsibility. I'm not condoning Jones or giving him a pass here. In Europe those same actions would be a huge incident, but in the US i'm surprised it's seen as such a big deal.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People put guns in the glove compartment of their car and forget it's there. This seems to happen often. Responsible gun ownership is like responsible anything else. Personal freedoms always clash with social responsibility, and the US favours personal freedoms over social responsibility. I'm not condoning Jones or giving him a pass here. In Europe those same actions would be a huge incident, but in the US i'm surprised it's seen as such a big deal.
Of course it's a big deal to take any weapon through a TSA check point, even here in the Wild Wild West.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting article but the thought that it's a mistake by those approx 6500 people a year is something that I can't fully buy into. I mean hell, we are 20+ years removed from 911 and when all these tougher security measures came into play. People know better, or at least, they should by now. But human beings are inherently stupid so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand how people with money can overlook simple things like paying to have someone else fly with the guns or drive home with the guns. People don't cover their bases well enough.