• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jabari Parker

Like Jabari's comments or dislike?

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Don't Like

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Need more info...

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are the teams supposed to know that a kid isn't ready with only high school and 1 year of college? A kid comes out of high school, looks ready by the way he plays in college and then gets to the NBA and finds out he isn't ready.

I have no problem with the NBA instituting a 2 year rule. I would like to see the D-league used differently though. If a kid is coming out of high school and doesn't want to go to college, let a team draft him and have him play in the D-league for a couple of seasons.

The player should meet certain criteria set in place by each team. If deemed not ready then dont draft him. That way another team can if they so choose. The players that are absolutely ready are going to loose 2 years of money making potential with a rule like that. The D league should be a viable option for those that are not ready as well like you suggested.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is talking about what they should do dummy. The question was about Jabaris opinion. Its dumb you cant control your franchises to the point you institute a rule to keep from drafting players that are not ready. They are supposed to be professional organizations.

Dummy, really? Obviously you aren't capable of a bigger discussion.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The player should meet certain criteria set in place by each team. If deemed not ready then dont draft him. That way another team can if they so choose. The players that are absolutely ready are going to loose 2 years of money making potential with a rule like that. The D league should be a viable option for those that are not ready as well like you suggested.

The problem is; what criteria? It happens every year, in every sport, where players whom appear to be ready for the professional ranks, get there and aren't ready. There are all kinds of reasons a player may not be ready. Heck, some guys might not ever be ready, no matter how long they wait.

Often times, the only way to know for sure is to draft them and see how they react. Of course, by then, it's too late.

Obviously, some players are more ready than others and if a team wants to take a chance on a guy who isn't quite ready, that's on them. However, there have been plenty of guys who appear ready, but aren't.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is; what criteria? It happens every year, in every sport, where players whom appear to be ready for the professional ranks, get there and aren't ready. There are all kinds of reasons a player may not be ready. Heck, some guys might not ever be ready, no matter how long they wait.

Often times, the only way to know for sure is to draft them and see how they react. Of course, by then, it's too late.

Obviously, some players are more ready than others and if a team wants to take a chance on a guy who isn't quite ready, that's on them. However, there have been plenty of guys who appear ready, but aren't.

Obvious fundamental basketball plays. Pick and rolls. Fades etc. On defense awareness of defensive responsibilities and footwork. Physical abilities that focus on strength and movement. Basically what they go through now. :laugh3:

See this is really a franchise issue.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obvious fundamental basketball plays. Pick and rolls. Fades etc. On defense awareness of defensive responsibilities and footwork. Physical abilities that focus on strength and movement. Basically what they go through now. :laugh3:

See this is really a franchise issue.

If only it were a simple matter of basketball skills.

Having those skills don't necessarily make a player ready though. A guy can be physically ready, but that doesn't make him mentally and emotionally ready. I'd say that the vast majority of players are ready as far as ability to play and understand the basics of the game. Heck, most them have a lot of that stuff down by the time they leave high school.

However, when they get to the NBA and start getting those checks, some guys decide they've "made it" and they stop working. How does an NBA team predict that?

You have to remember, we're talking about taking a kid at the age of 18-19 years old and dropping him into a world that he can barely imagine. When I was 18-19 years old, I was fairly responsible and I can tell you that if I was put on a professional sports team and handed a few million dollars, it wouldn't have been pretty. At least not for the first 2-3 years or so.:lol:

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only it were a simple matter of basketball skills.

Having those skills don't necessarily make a player ready though. A guy can be physically ready, but that doesn't make him mentally and emotionally ready. I'd say that the vast majority of players are ready as far as ability to play and understand the basics of the game. Heck, most them have a lot of that stuff down by the time they leave high school.

However, when they get to the NBA and start getting those checks, some guys decide they've "made it" and they stop working. How does an NBA team predict that?

You have to remember, we're talking about taking a kid at the age of 18-19 years old and dropping him into a world that he can barely imagine. When I was 18-19 years old, I was fairly responsible and I can tell you that if I was put on a professional sports team and handed a few million dollars, it wouldn't have been pretty. At least not for the first 2-3 years or so.:lol:

Pretty simple if you are just talking mental. Find out if they have a philosophy regarding life and if so what it is. its pretty easy to see if someone has a work ethic by the way they attack situations. As them some what if questions regarding current events to get their view on it. Sad thing is they do have classes on how to handle their money but they are still legally adults at that point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple if you are just talking mental. Find out if they have a philosophy regarding life and if so what it is. its pretty easy to see if someone has a work ethic by the way they attack situations. As them some what if questions regarding current events to get their view on it. Sad thing is they do have classes on how to handle their money but they are still legally adults at that point.

True. Can't really disagree.