• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Islanders vs Panthers

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have a horse in this race but that was BS. NHL situational reffing at its absolute worst. Do they understand that not making a call can "affect the game" just as much as making a call?

I don't understand how the league thinks this is the appropriate way to officiate.

Only horse I have in the race is a desire to see the game decided, per the rules by the men on the ice.

I mean the ones with sticks.

Oh don't get me wrong, He played amazing and Tavares's goal was a thing if Beauty. But 2 small mistakes cost his team.

1) Always cover up the puck. You leave a open puck in the blue. It's going to be a goal
2) Don't over commit. Let the Scorer come to you.

You wanna know how I know you've never played goal?

Congrats puck and boltsandisles. Shame it had to end in such a controversial way.

On the first, he did exactly what you want him to do. He felt it hit him and knew it hadn't gone in. But he didn't know where it was. Rule #1 of that situation; don't move if you don't know where it is. Kicking into your own net scrambling is far worse than someone making a big play to get it.

On the second, his only other option was to dig his left skate in and push/slide across, but his skate was beyond the post. He wouldn't have had enough time to get set and get there as fast as Johnny T is. And his first save on JT was flawless. Those wraparounds are the hardest ones to deal with.

Well, rough series for the Panthers. Series was 2-1 in their favour in regulartion, but 3-0 for the Islanders in OT. Other than going 7 games, doesn't get closer than that.

I want to give a shout-out to a kid who grew up down the street from me. Rookie D Mikey Matheson only had a few games under his belt before the playoffs started but was given big minutes and I think he performed admirably. Curious to see what any Panthers fans think of him. (Are there any here?)

All Panthers fans are stuck in traffic between Miami and Talahassee, which is apparently where the arena is.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the second, his only other option was to dig his left skate in and push/slide across, but his skate was beyond the post. He wouldn't have had enough time to get set and get there as fast as Johnny T is. And his first save on JT was flawless. Those wraparounds are the hardest ones to deal with.
Didn't Luongo let in, like, 3 wraparound goals this series? 2 by JT alone?

That's a lot of wraparounds for 6 playoff games.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Luongo let in, like, 3 wraparound goals this series? 2 by JT alone?

That's a lot of wraparounds for 6 playoff games.

Luongo extends the crease more than most goalies. You attack him from a sharp angle coming off the boards and 8 times out of ten, he will get himself outside the posts in a butterfly and leave himself vulnerable to the opposite side.. I guess JT realized that.

That's a big thing the Finnish goalies never do. They defend shallow attack angles with a pad and their torso against the post. They get a hand outside the post to seal any holes. Their other pad is already pointing towards the other post in case they have to get across. Rinne does it well. Kiprussoff was the master at it. Bob does it as well, even though he's not Finnish.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, rough series for the Panthers. Series was 2-1 in their favour in regulartion, but 3-0 for the Islanders in OT. Other than going 7 games, doesn't get closer than that.

I want to give a shout-out to a kid who grew up down the street from me. Rookie D Mikey Matheson only had a few games under his belt before the playoffs started but was given big minutes and I think he performed admirably. Curious to see what any Panthers fans think of him. (Are there any here?)

Matheson was very solid. Looked like he'd been up with the team all season.

That FL team is going to be solid moving forward, they have a great core and some big players on that team. I feel lucky that the Isles advanced because FL outplayed them most of this series.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matheson was very solid. Looked like he'd been up with the team all season.

That FL team is going to be solid moving forward, they have a great core and some big players on that team. I feel lucky that the Isles advanced because FL outplayed them most of this series.
I'm not as bullish on Florida. Their highest scorer was a 44 year old who definitely showed his age in the playoffs. Their second-best defenceman is a UFA and I'm not the biggest fan of anyone else they have below him. They're stuck with Luongo until President Trump's second term. Their best prospect is Lawson Crouse.

They have talent on the team, but they don't have a team talented or deep enough to contend and for a team that was as bad as they were for as long as they were they should have more in the pipes to help them take that next step. It wouldn't shock me at all if Florida missed the playoffs next year.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as bullish on Florida. Their highest scorer was a 44 year old who definitely showed his age in the playoffs. Their second-best defenceman is a UFA and I'm not the biggest fan of anyone else they have below him. They're stuck with Luongo until President Trump's second term. Their best prospect is Lawson Crouse.

They have talent on the team, but they don't have a team talented or deep enough to contend and for a team that was as bad as they were for as long as they were they should have more in the pipes to help them take that next step. It wouldn't shock me at all if Florida missed the playoffs next year.

They kinda faltered late in the season too. They have a bunch of top end talent, and some supporting cast too, but then you look at their bottom six. They're some tinkering away from being consistently good, but work to do.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kinda faltered late in the season too. They have a bunch of top end talent, and some supporting cast too, but then you look at their bottom six. They're some tinkering away from being consistently good, but work to do.
I mean, who coulda foreseen that proven leader and winner due to his scoring a Cup-winning goal Dave Bolland wouldn't have panned out and wind up burning a $5.5 mil hole in the payroll rather than giving them the best third line centre evawwww?!

/I agree with everything you said. And I don't think Dale Tallon is the guy to do the work.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know BT could have gotten more for Happy Hudler if he would have moved him before the start of this season, but he did pretty good getting a 2nd and 4th round pick for Jiri.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, who coulda foreseen that proven leader and winner due to his scoring a Cup-winning goal Dave Bolland wouldn't have panned out and wind up burning a $5.5 mil hole in the payroll rather than giving them the best third line centre evawwww?!

/I agree with everything you said. And I don't think Dale Tallon is the guy to do the work.

Agreed. I think it takes a particular person to handle a situation like FLA, it's a different sale, they work under a different cap, etc. The Luo move is a double edged sword, because he is better than what they'd been getting, but he's still overpriced and the contract is endless. And a team like FLA just can't handle that kinda over spending. The Bolland deal and the Mitchell injury are really killer for them. And...when did they acquire Marc Savard's deal? How do I not remember this? That said, next year they'll have plenty of room to do things, but it's still nearly impossible for them to attract big name talent without massive over payment.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pans aren't set up by any means. But if you are a FLA fan you have to feel pretty good about having two 1st rate young players in Barkov (let's just call him young Kopitar) and Ekblad (all the pizazz and skill of a young Brad Park) to build your team around.

Huberdeau, Bugstad and Kulikov are good players too to fill in some spots. The bottom six forwards and 3-7 D are less than ideal for a true contender though.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pans aren't set up by any means. But if you are a FLA fan you have to feel pretty good about having two 1st rate young players in Barkov (let's just call him young Kopitar) and Ekblad (all the pizazz and skill of a young Brad Park) to build your team around.

Huberdeau, Bugstad and Kulikov are good players too to fill in some spots. The bottom six forwards and 3-7 D are less than ideal for a true contender though.
Yeah, and they have high hopes for Trochek. And comparing Barkov to Kopitar is nowhere near crazy, kid definitely took a huge stride forward this year.

It comes down now to how good the GM is at rounding the roster out. Tough to do with few valuable assets, although there will be some decent UFA's available that could interest them and I would classify them as a huge offer sheet threat.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed Kenny, if Tallon can fill out the roster, the Pans should be better than okay.

FLA's top 3 centers

Barkov (20)
Bjugstad (23)
Trocheck (22)

FLA's top 2 wingers

Huberdeau (22)
Smith (25)

FLA's top 4 defensemen

Ekblad (20)
Kulikov (25)
Gudbranson (24)
Petrovic (24)

Not too shabby, in my opinion. Is it too simplistic to say that Griess outplayed Luongo in this series?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Kenny, if Tallon can fill out the roster, the Pans should be better than okay.

FLA's top 3 centers

Barkov (20)
Bjugstad (23)
Trocheck (22)

FLA's top 2 wingers

Huberdeau (22)
Smith (25)

FLA's top 4 defensemen

Ekblad (20)
Kulikov (25)
Gudbranson (24)
Petrovic (24)

Not too shabby, in my opinion. Is it too simplistic to say that Griess outplayed Luongo in this series?

I think Greiss was by far the better goalie. Also didn't do enough...

39270914_zpsf2f541e7.jpg

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah OK.

You gotta be pissed at the NBC network announcers then. I don't recall which one, but one of them was going on and on last game about how Nielsen was going to be a hot commodity come July 1. Like it was a foregone conclusion he would be elsewhere. Seems like a commonly held view that FAs run away from the Isles as soon as they can. Any truth to it? I have no idea.

It's been known for awhile that Okposo is likely to sign elsewhere come July 1st. Nielsen is somebody the team would like to keep. I don't blame him one bit if he wants to test the market. This is the first time he's had the opportunity to do so.

The Islanders haven't been a free agent destination in a long time. I hope with the success they've had recently that can change this offseason. New ownership takes over at the end of the season.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think it takes a particular person to handle a situation like FLA, it's a different sale, they work under a different cap, etc. The Luo move is a double edged sword, because he is better than what they'd been getting, but he's still overpriced and the contract is endless. And a team like FLA just can't handle that kinda over spending. The Bolland deal and the Mitchell injury are really killer for them. And...when did they acquire Marc Savard's deal? How do I not remember this? That said, next year they'll have plenty of room to do things, but it's still nearly impossible for them to attract big name talent without massive over payment.

I am with you. When did that happen?