• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Woolen already considered a shut down CB?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come on he doesn't get tossed around, don't just hate on a guy because he plays someplace else. I would give my left nutt to Have Gardner as our other CB with Woolen lol. Now that I am in dream land with woolen and Gardner I might as well throw in Hamilton who is the Highest graded safety in 2022 ... That backend could be better than any we have ever had. HEY DONT WAKE ME UP! I wanted every one of those players!

I didn't say he gets tossed around. I said that Metcalf, one of the biggest and strongest receivers in the league, might toss him around.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come on he doesn't get tossed around, don't just hate on a guy because he plays someplace else. I would give my left nutt to Have Gardner as our other CB with Woolen lol. Now that I am in dream land with woolen and Gardner I might as well throw in Hamilton who is the Highest graded safety in 2022 ... That backend could be better than any we have ever had. HEY DONT WAKE ME UP! I wanted every one of those players!

That would've been absolutely ridiculous to spend all that draft capital on just a secondary with holes all over the place (first off we had no chance on Sauce the Grab Gardner... and Hamilton over Cross? No thanks. Cross hasn't been AMAZING - instead solid, this year, but he's also 21..... lol) especially at far more important positions like EDGE/DL/OT. Isn't it nice if we draft a QB this year that he has two tackles of the future and at least a decent up and coming runningback? Even if we don't, sure as hell appears Smith appreciates it. Also, despite it turning out to be a bust, we already had a lot invested in Jamal Adams who unfortunately went down in week 1 but was otherwise 'healthy'.

It's a nice pipe dream... but remember the Jets have a very good DL (led by one of the best DTs in the league now that Donald is on the decline) and the Ravens are still holding up the rush with Campbell and Houston despite their age... that makes the life on their secondary SOOOO much easier. We had far more pressing needs at OT and we knew Penny prob. wouldn't stay healthy (surprise), and Mafe provides a solid solution to OLB in the future - he was just very raw when drafted.... we knew not to expect much going into this season from him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would've been absolutely ridiculous to spend all that draft capital on just a secondary with holes all over the place (first off we had no chance on Sauce the Grab Gardner... and Hamilton over Cross? No thanks. Cross hasn't been AMAZING - instead solid, this year, but he's also 21..... lol) especially at far more important positions like EDGE/DL/OT. Isn't it nice if we draft a QB this year that he has two tackles of the future and at least a decent up and coming runningback? Even if we don't, sure as hell appears Smith appreciates it. Also, despite it turning out to be a bust, we already had a lot invested in Jamal Adams who unfortunately went down in week 1 but was otherwise 'healthy'.

It's a nice pipe dream... but remember the Jets have a very good DL (led by one of the best DTs in the league now that Donald is on the decline) and the Ravens are still holding up the rush with Campbell and Houston despite their age... that makes the life on their secondary SOOOO much easier. We had far more pressing needs at OT and we knew Penny prob. wouldn't stay healthy (surprise), and Mafe provides a solid solution to OLB in the future - he was just very raw when drafted.... we knew not to expect much going into this season from him.

We MUST make major investments on the DL. We have one of the better offenses in football. We have one of the worst defenses largely because we have no pass rush or run defense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We MUST make major investments on the DL. We have one of the better offenses in football. We have one of the worst defenses largely because we have no pass rush or run defense.

Oh agreed. I'm all for Stroud at 2 or 3... I really do think he'll be the best QB in the draft... but otherwise it needs to be Carter or Anderson 100%... and then we need ILB, a NT... and I'm going to argue a Center. Blythe tries, but that guy can't run block for shit... and try to find another guard in free agency. Going QB that early as well and letting Geno walk means we can spend good money in free agency on the DL as well, and a guard.

If Stroud, then DT, EDGE, Center. Find another ILB later or just grab one in free agency. They're pretty easy to find.
If Carter or Anderson, then DT/EDGE, C, Safety/ILB.

Lockett really can't go anywhere next year due to the dead cap... a rookie QB I would imagine would LOOOOOVE Seattle at this point. 2 top wideouts, a downfield threat at tight end, two young tackles who will be a year into their career, a promising runningback.... HOPEFULLY Waldron sticks around. He may get scouted for a HC position.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh agreed. I'm all for Stroud at 2 or 3... I really do think he'll be the best QB in the draft... but otherwise it needs to be Carter or Anderson 100%... and then we need ILB, a NT... and I'm going to argue a Center. Blythe tries, but that guy can't run block for shit... and try to find another guard in free agency. Going QB that early as well and letting Geno walk means we can spend good money in free agency on the DL as well, and a guard.

I don't want to fall into the trap of looking at the past performance of players from a school, but Ohio State QBs have not exactly been stellar. But if PC/JS rate Stroud that highly, I'm fine with it.

But I would much prefer Carter and resigning Geno though.

If Stroud, then DT, EDGE, Center. Find another ILB later or just grab one in free agency. They're pretty easy to find.
If Carter or Anderson, then DT/EDGE, C, Safety/ILB.

Lockett really can't go anywhere next year due to the dead cap... a rookie QB I would imagine would LOOOOOVE Seattle at this point. 2 top wideouts, a downfield threat at tight end, two young tackles who will be a year into their career, a promising runningback.... HOPEFULLY Waldron sticks around. He may get scouted for a HC position.

I doubt Waldron gets his shot this offseason. But another year like this and he might.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to fall into the trap of looking at the past performance of players from a school, but Ohio State QBs have not exactly been stellar. But if PC/JS rate Stroud that highly, I'm fine with it.
Ohio st QBs dont do a lot of processing and have basically a one read offense. This doesnt translate well to the nfl obviously.
This we agree on
I doubt Waldron gets his shot this offseason. But another year like this and he might.
Im already seeing bronco fans and youtubers mention waldron as a Replacement for hackett

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Stroud has the best shot in this draft, but hear what you're saying. I 100% trust John Schneider with the QB selection, I just think Stroud given the talent, size, team and OC Seattle has can be the best option. But who knows, Schneider liked Wilson who was the same size (little heavier) as Young... IF Seattle takes a QB at #2 or #3, I can't necessarily hate on it given Schneider had influence in Rodgers, took Wilson despite Pete not being a fan (this was reported), was willing to trade Wilson for Allen, and scouted Mahomes pretty heavily.

And yes, I've said before I'm all for Carter. Anderson is a little undersized for a 3-4 (certainly not a knock, he can put on some weight and plenty of guys under the ideal size are major impacts)... All said, unless Schneider just LOVES a QB and convinces Pete, I think they pull the trigger on Carter if he's there (even over Anderson/Stroud) because Carter ran almost the same style of defense that Seattle is looking to run. It's very much a hybrid D (DE, NT, DT) and then a standup OLB/EDGE and a money linebacker (basically what Jamal Adams is) plugging the middle/outside) at Georgia. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's exactly what they run. Harris DE, Carter DT, NT TBD (draft or FA) and then your standup OLB main edge is still a TBD but maybe Mafe is ready to go next year. Nwosu would certainly also benefit from Carter + new NT.

Carter VERY much fits what this D is trying to do... moreso than Anderson and who knows what Waldron/Schneider like at QB. Maybe nobody - like last year, except Geno Smith (which most of us HATED), which was also proven to be right.

Another factor, Pete is getting pretty old. He can't do this much longer. IF Seattle had a decent D this year with the offense they've had, could they have pushed for deep playoffs? I believe so. I think this team could easily be 9-3 if the defense didn't suck ass. Factor in the NFC West (and kind of NFC) appears to be a trainwreck going forward (maybe with exception of the 9ers) would Carter help us more immediately than a new QB? Eh probably.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im already seeing bronco fans and youtubers mention waldron as a Replacement for hackett

LMAO puhlease.... given Wilson basically gave a giant middle finger to absorbing any of what Waldron likes to do, that is the LAAAAST place he'd go as head coach.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO puhlease.... given Wilson basically gave a giant middle finger to absorbing any of what Waldron likes to do, that is the LAAAAST place he'd go as head coach.

Yeah, I don't see Waldron chomping at the bit to take on that Broncos situation.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't see Waldron chomping at the bit to take on that Broncos situation.

I'm wondering what head coach will...

I mean you imagine the situation the Broncos are in? No draft capital, very little cap room thanks to what appears to be a washed up QB (okay fine) but at the start of a mega contract with a team who apparently hates him... not to mention his prior team saying the same thing? OOOF. Who the hell would accept that if they are on a very high track (which Waldron is) for something far better?

I mean SOME coach is going to want to go there because if Denver musters 8 wins next season you're a fuckin' legend and everyone will think you're the second coming so the pressure for wins is off... and hey you get a shot... but the talent of the coach or any well respected coach with a legit shot at going for a SuperBowl at some point is going to turn that down.

Either way they'll find some sap, but Waldron is 43 and built up a great Rams offense that won a SuperBowl (granted without him, but it was the same system), struggled with Wilson which is now public record that it was because Wilson refused to adopt Waldron's system, and then has turned a team with a QB everyone thought was garbage into an MVP candidate (he wont win MVP, but he was in talks - certainly CPOY) in one year?

I would HAVE to imagine Waldron holds out for another season unless an actual good team with lots of draft capital and a proper GM offer him an insane amount of money.

Waldron to Denver would absolutely blow my fuckin' mind.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woolen has been great in coverage but yesterday had to be one of his worst games against the run... Seemed like he missed quite a few tackles and when he did get in on the tackle the backs were gaining another 4-5 yards after contact... If I remember correctly, R. Sherman wasn't that great at the run his first few seasons... He definitely got much better at stopping the run to the point of being great against the run...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woolen has been great in coverage but yesterday had to be one of his worst games against the run... Seemed like he missed quite a few tackles and when he did get in on the tackle the backs were gaining another 4-5 yards after contact... If I remember correctly, R. Sherman wasn't that great at the run his first few seasons... He definitely got much better at stopping the run to the point of being great against the run...

I don't think they actually threw at him one time in the game He had a PD when he broke off his receiver to break up a pass in the slot. His run defense is not great which isn't surprising really. But honestly if your run defense is dependent on your corners, you have problems.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were quite a few plays where he didnt even attempt to make a tackle on the backside and just stood there

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they actually threw at him one time in the game He had a PD when he broke off his receiver to break up a pass in the slot. His run defense is not great which isn't surprising really. But honestly if your run defense is dependent on your corners, you have problems.
True.

I'm much more concerned with the LB and DL tackling at the moment. By the time they get to Woolen there has often already been several wiffs.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we're not dependent on corners... However, that's what makes your run defense even better, when the corners/safety's can make their tackles when the opportunities are there...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will learn that 1 step on Woolen means Woolen has them covered.

If you watch the other angle, you can see that Woolen was expecting the safety to help and when he didn't he put on the afterburners and nearly over ran the play..

Chris Meyers talking with Salk says that he would vote for Tariq.