• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Woolen already considered a shut down CB?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Chargers and Hebert think so as they, rather surprisingly, didn't throw at him at all!

Good article and interesting breakdown.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is yet... I feel it has more to do with teams thinking they can get easy completions throwing to MJ's and CB's side of the field...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear he was covering mike williams on one of his TD catches

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear he was covering mike williams on one of his TD catches
He got caught on a pick play on one of the TDs. Not a lot he could have done about it.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Chargers and Hebert think so as they, rather surprisingly, didn't throw at him at all!

Good article and interesting breakdown.

I'm sure getting a pick in each of the previous 4 games made them leery. Sometimes you avoid a guy not because he's specifically an overall talent but because he's in the middle of a hot streak.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so at this point, but to @blstoker 's point, if a guy is ballin' out and getting INTs it's best to let him cool off a bit and then go back after him.... or start scheming around him a bit more. Obviously no coach is going to take a 5th round rookie THAT seriously... and now it's like, "Oh... well, the kid can play, we should take him seriously." So now coaches are probably going to scheme a bit more and that's when Woolen will really be put to the test. Also, he hasn't really faced a ton of elite wideouts yet either. Hopkins, Kupp, Evans, etc. That will be where the real determining factor comes in. If he shuts down let's say 2 of those 3, then yah... now you can start teetering a bit more in that direction.

Plus the refs have been flag happy with Woolen which is annoying as about half the flags against him have been bullshit. Meanwhile Sauce Gardner is grabbing every wide receiver like Rose holding onto Jack in Titanic, and very rarely draws flags.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Woolen is that while he was considered a project due to his form and level of competition, his measurables (were) off the charts.

Regardless of if he is elite or not (yet), he managed to shut down an entire side of the field against the Chargers! Whether that was a conciousness decision by the Chargers and/or Hebert, or if it was just that the coverage was so good isn't known, but impressive nonetheless.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Woolen is that while he was considered a project due to his form and level of competition, his measurables (were) off the charts.

Regardless of if he is elite or not (yet), he managed to shut down an entire side of the field against the Chargers! Whether that was a conciousness decision by the Chargers and/or Hebert, or if it was just that the coverage was so good isn't known, but impressive nonetheless.

I'm still waiting to see what happens when he goes up against Kupp, Hopkins, and Evans... and that's Kupp twice... It will be really telling to see if the Rams (McVay does this) moves Kupp over to Tyson's side and if Seattle adjusts Woolen to cover. Secondary in terms of coverage has their work cut out for them 2nd half of the season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to see how good the coverage is downfield with the camera angles they give us, but the fact that Herbert was frequently checking it down and holding the ball for a while tells me that there wasn't much open downfield. It's a collective effort by the secondary, but judging by how things played out, they seem to be playing well.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he will be facing Deandre Hopkins this week so we will see how well put together he is against one of the leagues best.

on a side note I know everything is going well now without RW on the team but looking back in 2020 I couldnt believe we couldnt land Hopkins from the Texans to pair him with RW but today we are in a better position. Metcalf has been great, we got away from RW toxic celebrity culture and we have valuable picks from Denver.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I want Woolen to succeed as much as anyone and he is in the race for rookie of the year but he has to keep doing it. The thing I like about Woolen is he seems to get better every game. If he continues on this path then he is well on his way to being a lock down corner but he isn't there yet. If he snakes a ball away from Hopkins then I might say hold up lol.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I want Woolen to succeed as much as anyone and he is in the race for rookie of the year but he has to keep doing it. The thing I like about Woolen is he seems to get better every game. If he continues on this path then he is well on his way to being a lock down corner but he isn't there yet. If he snakes a ball away from Hopkins then I might say hold up lol.

Woolen is learning how to effectively use his hands without getting flagged. He's already got the physical skills to be a lock down corner. When he masters the hand skills, he will be tremendous.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woolen is learning how to effectively use his hands without getting flagged. He's already got the physical skills to be a lock down corner. When he masters the hand skills, he will be tremendous.

Oh trust me i know all about his physical skills and his history of playing a WR there was a reason i was begging the hawks to draft him. lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh trust me i know all about his physical skills and his history of playing a WR there was a reason i was begging the hawks to draft him. lol

He seems like a Richard Sherman clone but with 4.26 speed. Granted it remains to be seen if he has Sherm's smarts.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopkins is a very physical receiver so I'm excited to see ho Woolen matches up with him... Great experience for him going up against one of the best... To Flyer's point, he's only going to get better and playing against guys like Hopkins will help him do so...

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole D is functioning as a unit. All aspects are solid (with 1 noticable exception) and help each other (solid run d helps pass rush helps the coverage).

It is impressive to see after those first 5 games!

I didn't specifically note Woolen's play today. Was he kept specifically on one side, or did he follow Hopkins around?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HaroldSeattle Can you correct Woolens name in the title?
Sorry Oh No GIF by The Swoon
schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

Alicia Silverstone Oops GIF

Sorry Discovery Channel GIF by Discovery

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're just messin w/ me... LOL...