• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this a statement game?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We damn sure should be expecting to make the playoffs with the talent on this team. We beat em here 2 years ago if you'll recall. We have more talent than the Bears. I expected the Lions to win today. Last year was a mess of injuries and controversy. If that's your measuring stick, then today was a statement win. :noidea:

Yeah, I recall that game. Who doesn't? But you go ahead and use ur measuring stick as what you THINK we should be doing. I'll go ahead and use my measuring stick as what they've ACTUALLY done to us the last 4 years. 1-7 bro, 1-7.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I recall that game. Who doesn't? But you go ahead and use ur measuring stick as what you THINK we should be doing. I'll go ahead and use my measuring stick as what they've ACTUALLY done to us the last 4 years. 1-7 bro, 1-7.

Thinking you really did something because you beat the Bears at home is just the same old loser mentality. But if that works for you, go with that. If there's a statement in today's game it's that they played a very good game. Staff was not as accurate as he'll need to be and has been but that's my only real complaint. He didn't need to be today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking you really did something because you beat the Bears at home is just the same old loser mentality. But if that works for you, go with that.

And thinking we should beat them every time when history shows it doesn't happen is just an idiot mentality. I see you're sticking with that. Good luck.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thinking we should beat them every time when history shows it doesn't happen is just an idiot mentality. I see you're sticking with that. Good luck.

Who said anything about every time ? I thought they should beat them today and I was right. You know they were favored by 3, right ?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a statement game.

Any time you knock off a previously undefeated division rival to take the division lead, well that's a "statement" imo. It states that we're here to win that division crown for the first time since we've been in the NFC Norrth...

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the next game in Lambeau is a statement game. It's been like forever since they won in Lambeau.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the next game in Lambeau is a statement game. It's been like forever since they won in Lambeau.

So beating Washington on the road, when Detroit was 0-21 against Washington all-time there isn't a statement game. Beating the Bears, who have owned Detroit with a 7-1 record since Cutler took over as QB isn't a statement game. But beating GB would be a statement game.

I'm just curious -- what are the rules when deciding what a statement game is?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know they were favored by 3, right ?

Yes -- which is the standard points given to the home team when figuring out spreads. If it was in Chicago -- Chicago would have been favored by 3. If it was at neutral site, it would have been a pick'em.

What does that have to do with anything? Chicago was sitting atop the division with a 3-0 record. We lose the game today to them and we are already 2 games back just 4 games into the season. Today was a huge game and not only did Detroit win, they forced turnovers, they showed they can run the ball, Akers made all his kicks, they actually had a long punt return for the 1st time since, it seems, Mel Gray was on the team.

Detroit didn't squeak by Chicago today -- they smacked them around for the 1st 3 quarters. Chicago didn't start moving the ball until Detroit dropped back in prevent in the 4th quarter and Cutler ran up some garbage stats.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions definitely made a statement today. It was "SUCK IT BEAR FANS". :finger:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes -- which is the standard points given to the home team when figuring out spreads. If it was in Chicago -- Chicago would have been favored by 3. If it was at neutral site, it would have been a pick'em.

What does that have to do with anything? Chicago was sitting atop the division with a 3-0 record. We lose the game today to them and we are already 2 games back just 4 games into the season. Today was a huge game and not only did Detroit win, they forced turnovers, they showed they can run the ball, Akers made all his kicks, they actually had a long punt return for the 1st time since, it seems, Mel Gray was on the team.

Detroit didn't squeak by Chicago today -- they smacked them around for the 1st 3 quarters. Chicago didn't start moving the ball until Detroit dropped back in prevent in the 4th quarter and Cutler ran up some garbage stats.

So winning a a game that virtually all observers considered a tossup is a statement game ? I do agree that the Lions have been making a statement with their play all year. They've been clearly the better team, imo, in all of their wins... 2 against playoff teams from last year and today against what is generally considered a decent Bears squad. There haven't been any smoke & mirrors or miracle comebacks like in 2011. They've flat out whipped the 3 teams they've played. Don't get me wrong. I love what I've seen from them so far (I missed the Cards game). I just don't think it's that big of a deal to beat the Bears at home. How they did it ? Yeah that was impressive.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of them over on their board were picking the Lions too.

No, that's the pussy way of setting yourself up to save embarrassment if your team does lose. Every single one of them felt their team was going to win.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt matter that it was in the D. It was a statement game. Slapped around a good team and put up 40...wouldve like to see them close it out better but it was sure nice having that cushion to work with. After going winless in the division last year the statement is "we have a shot"! Keep on winning 3 out of 4 and then make the real statement on thanksgiving day and dont spoiler our dinner again.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep bringing up last year...i told you ...last year lost 8 games by a TD or less while being ravaged by injuries. This year a healthy team with a dynamic running back is winning those close games instead of losing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's a statement game. We beat a team that was undefeated and playing fairly well. We beat a rival to take the division lead. Statement says, "we aren't a team to take lightly". 'Nuff said brah.

Okay "brah"...

I guess it depends on whether you want to make a statement to yourself, or to the rest of the league.

Beating GB next week will be a statement to the rest of the league. Right now, you've beat a fairly decent team at home.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep bringing up last year...i told you ...last year lost 8 games by a TD or less while being ravaged by injuries. This year a healthy team with a dynamic running back is winning those close games instead of losing.

This reminds of 2002 Bears fans. 4-12, with injuries... but lost ALMOST EVERY GAME BY A TD OR LESS!!!

lol

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it was a statement, but not really much of one. The statement would be:

"We're better than a crappy-ass Bears team coached by a fag from the CFL."

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it was a statement, but not really much of one. The statement would be:

"We're better than a crappy-ass Bears team coached by a fag from the CFL."

Exactly.

The Lions are a medicore team who doesn't stand much of a chance at GB next week. This whole NFC North will be pretty wild. As the Bears will struggle with the Saints at home. Going to be a weird week.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a doucher! lol We "don't stand a chance" against the Packers next week, but you're only going to "struggle" with the Saints?

Puh-lease little girl- we're the first good team you've faced and you guys got destroyed. The Saints might hang 50+ points on that sorry excuse for a once-proud defense...