• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this a statement game?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 3-1, nothing more. We don't know what the Bears are. Now if they beat the Pack next week, that would be a statement game.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. In the first 4 weeks of this year, the Lions have 2 division wins in 2 games after going 0-6 last year. That's a statement.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At home...it's not a statement game IMO...if it were at Soldier Field?....then I think it would be justified.

Detroit is not some scrub that opponents take lightly.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-0 and beating the top team in our division to take the lead is a statement. I know its early and it was at home but that was a big win.

Next week is just as big. Beating GB in GB would be huge and solidify us at the top.

For now I am just happy with the W.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating a hungry GB in GB... now that's a statement.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating a hungry GB in GB... now that's a statement.

No, it's a statement game. We beat a team that was undefeated and playing fairly well. We beat a rival to take the division lead. Statement says, "we aren't a team to take lightly". 'Nuff said brah.

rd27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides.

On one hand, we were at home. You're supposed to win your home games.

If we were on the road, the impact would have been much greater.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides.

I agree....i had the lions at 3-1 at this point.....and 7-9 overall...

Now if we beat the pack.....then thats a huge statement.....we should beat chicago at home....gotta prove we can win outside.....redskins are bad IMO. but still a great win.....at least the lions might get a mention now....

Gonna wear my lions shit proudly here in chicago today and tomorrow.....hell maybe even tuesday and wednesday too...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides.

The thing is though, we haven't been good against Chicago as of recent history(or hell all of history). So it most definitely is a statement. The "we should win against chicago at home" only works if we've had a history of mostly beating them at home. But we haven't. Therefore it's a statement that we just might be able to compete this year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the game today made a statement to the Bears. Not because of the win, but because of HOW Detroit won.

Last year -- if Detroit had put up 400 yards of offense on the Bears, 375 of it would have been thru the air. Instead Detroit has 240 thru the air and 160 on the ground.

Last year -- if someone would have said a team had 3 interceptions, a forced fumble and a defensive touchdown (to go along with a 58 yard punt return and 3 sacks) -- everyone would have assumed it was the Bears defense reeking havoc on the field.

Detroit dominated the Bears thru 3 quarters and the final score isn't indicative to how the game was played. Cutler was completely shut down thru 3 quarters. He had 150 yards with 3 interceptions and only had completed 48% of his passes. All the 4th quarter was is window dressing to make it look better than it was. Cutler put up 160 with 2 touchdowns in garbage time with the defense playing prevent. Detroit fans got to see a lot of those type of yards put up by Stafford last year.

If Detroit plays like they did today -- they could give any team a run for their money. They HAVE to keep Delmas and Quin healthy, as those two are the key to the Lions defense (along with the DL)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two games for the Lions -- against the Redskins, Detroit was 0-21 on the road against them. Getting a win was huge.

Against Chicago -- Cutler was 7-1 against Detroit, so while it was a home game, it was still a huge win for Detroit.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely it was. Whether at home or not they beat a good team. The so called experts had the Bears#6 in the power rankings. Hopefully the statement is in the locker room where this team can see what they are capable of if they played their best football (and they can be better than they were today). My hope is they see that.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but what is the statement ? They beat the frikkin Bears at home. Bfd. Who are the Bears ? They've have been a slightly above average team since their SB loss 7 long years ago, but that's about it. Beat the Bears in Chicago. Beat the Pack anywhere. Those will be statement games. This team has the talent to go to the post-season and do some damage. We don't need to be crowing about statements for winning at home against the Bears. Take it to the Pack at Lambeau next week. Now that would be worth some early season celebrating.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but what is the statement ?

I'd guess the statement is -- Detroit isn't the team that imploded last year. The Lions finished 0-6 in division games last year. Chicago came in at 3-0 at the top of the conference and Detroit put a boot to their ass today.

Thru 4 games this year -- Detroit is one win away from matching their total for the entire 2012 season, with 3 already.

No one is saying Detroit is super bowl bound or that the season is now a success no matter what happens from here on out. All anyone is saying is -- Detroit showed today they are different team in 2012 than they were in 2013.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but what is the statement ? They beat the frikkin Bears at home. Bfd. Who are the Bears ? They've have been a slightly above average team since their SB loss 7 long years ago, but that's about it. Beat the Bears in Chicago. Beat the Pack anywhere. Those will be statement games. This team has the talent to go to the post-season and do some damage. We don't need to be crowing about statements for winning at home against the Bears. Take it to the Pack at Lambeau next week. Now that would be worth some early season celebrating.

Big fucking deal? Really? It absolutely was a big fucking deal. They've had our number for years. So had the Redskins in Washington. We got over that hurdle, and we got over the other today.

Does this mean were making then playoffs? No. But it means we may just have a different team this year. So it's a big fucking statement!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess the statement is -- Detroit isn't the team that imploded last year. The Lions finished 0-6 in division games last year. Chicago came in at 3-0 at the top of the conference and Detroit put a boot to their ass today.

Thru 4 games this year -- Detroit is one win away from matching their total for the entire 2012 season, with 3 already.

No one is saying Detroit is super bowl bound or that the season is now a success no matter what happens from here on out. All anyone is saying is -- Detroit showed today they are different team in 2012 than they were in 2013.

Yup.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok. I guess I look at last season as the anomaly and 2011 as the new standard. I just assume the Lions won't suck again this year if they can keep some key guys healthy.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I look at last season as the anomaly and 2011 as the new standard.

If the Lions were to have a couple 10+ win seasons in a row -- then I can understand calling it the new standard. Doing it for a single season and then falling to 4-12 the next doesn't change anything.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fucking deal? Really? It absolutely was a big fucking deal. They've had our number for years. So had the Redskins in Washington. We got over that hurdle, and we got over the other today.

Does this mean were making then playoffs? No. But it means we may just have a different team this year. So it's a big fucking statement!

We damn sure should be expecting to make the playoffs with the talent on this team. We beat em here 2 years ago if you'll recall. We have more talent than the Bears. I expected the Lions to win today. Last year was a mess of injuries and controversy. If that's your measuring stick, then today was a statement win. :noidea: