• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there anybody in particular you'd like to see ATL go after in free agency?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2015 NFL salary cap is supposed to be between $138,600,000 and $141,800,000. According to this link the Falcons will have between $18,374,154 and $21,574,154 to spend.

Here's a list of current free agents out on the market.

There are some pretty solid options at tight end. I wish we could afford Justin Houston but that isn't very likely.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear a lot of people calling for using a high draft pick on Gurley or going after a free agent on reddit a lot but this is a seriously deep RB class. I understand we'll only have 1 guy on contract if we let SJax go because Quizz and Smith are both free agents. Washington got a 1,000 runner out of a 6th rounder with Alfred Morris using Shanahan's zone blocking system. I don't expect use to strike gold in the 6th but there will be plenty of options in the 4th-6th, especially if we're looking for someone who can one cut it.

I bet we could find a solid runner like Synjyn Days in the deeper rounds.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFC...Cameron Jordan...TE. Toilolo is a keeper for the RZ...just didn't get enough targets cus he was kept in the help the OL. Not sure if he's the right guy inbetween the 20s though.

OFC...Michael Oher...OT. If Baker is healthy he's the RT now as Matthews is the new anchor on the left side. But, Baker's health history is questionable...Oher should not cost too much but will provide some stability on the right side

DEF...Quinn is a 4-3 guy so I would go after JPP 1st or Hardy (if he's cleared of legal trouble and NFL suspensions). I do like Brandon Graham a lot though...in fact I might target him 1st.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear a lot of people calling for using a high draft pick on Gurley or going after a free agent on reddit a lot but this is a seriously deep RB class. I understand we'll only have 1 guy on contract if we let SJax go because Quizz and Smith are both free agents. Washington got a 1,000 runner out of a 6th rounder with Alfred Morris using Shanahan's zone blocking system. I don't expect use to strike gold in the 6th but there will be plenty of options in the 4th-6th, especially if we're looking for someone who can one cut it.

I bet we could find a solid runner like Synjyn Days in the deeper rounds.

RB...no way would I look @ a RB in the 1st two rounds...Personally I would let Quizz sign elsewhere. I love his grit, but he's a tweener that really doesn't fit a role in ATL. Sjax is no longer a feature RB, release...I might actually look at Tate to backup/pair with Freeman and if Antone Smith is healthy resign him or look late in the draft as you mentioned.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFC...Cameron Jordan...TE. Toilolo is a keeper for the RZ...just didn't get enough targets cus he was kept in the help the OL. Not sure if he's the right guy inbetween the 20s though.

OFC...Michael Oher...OT. If Baker is healthy he's the RT now as Matthews is the new anchor on the left side. But, Baker's health history is questionable...Oher should not cost too much but will provide some stability on the right side

DEF...Quinn is a 4-3 guy so I would go after JPP 1st or Hardy (if he's cleared of legal trouble and NFL suspensions). I do like Brandon Graham a lot though...in fact I might target him 1st.

Oher is a good pickup. Adds depth and competition to a line who dealt with injuries for a couple years in a row.

Cameron Jordan is a solid pick. I really like the versatility you get with Charles Clay though. He can be in the backfield or play the TE so there could be some interesting audibles available.

I think a guy like Malcolm Smith is pretty interesting coming from a 4-3 defense in Seattle where he should be pretty comfortable with Dan Quinn's system.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oher is a good pickup. Adds depth and competition to a line who dealt with injuries for a couple years in a row.

Cameron Jordan is a solid pick. I really like the versatility you get with Charles Clay though. He can be in the backfield or play the TE so there could be some interesting audibles available.

I think a guy like Malcolm Smith is pretty interesting coming from a 4-3 defense in Seattle where he should be pretty comfortable with Dan Quinn's system.

Clay & Smith could both be good fits...did not think of them.

Funny...sports talk today had the topic Gurley @ 42...yeah or nay...lol

I really like Gurley as a player and if healthy, he will be a bellcow type RB...a player that will really help Matt out...but, I can't see him being an impact player next season...42 should be see the field this coming season imo...3rd round...yes.

He's probably going to go 2nd round to a team like NE that doesn't have to put him on the field much next year...the Falcons don't have that luxury.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting player is Pernell Mcphee (Ravens). He didn't even start a game but still accumulated 6.5 sacks and 26 hits on QBs.

I wish Gurley well with whoever drafts him but I really hope we pass on him even if he's available in the 2nd. I'd rather be in the market for a guy like Maxx Williams who would bring more to the offense. If TG3 is there in the 3rd round definitely pull the trigger. The problem is this draft is incredibly deep at RB and the WR depth is pretty impressive too. We could use a much later pick for a guy who won't be much of a dropoff in talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting player is Pernell Mcphee (Ravens). He didn't even start a game but still accumulated 6.5 sacks and 26 hits on QBs.

I wish Gurley well with whoever drafts him but I really hope we pass on him even if he's available in the 2nd. I'd rather be in the market for a guy like Maxx Williams who would bring more to the offense. If TG3 is there in the 3rd round definitely pull the trigger. The problem is this draft is incredibly deep at RB and the WR depth is pretty impressive too. We could use a much later pick for a guy who won't be much of a dropoff in talent.

McPhee...another great choice...I think there will be a pretty strong market for him...given the Steelers also need an edge pass rusher...I've been paying attention to these guys a lot more lately.

A guy I think should get some consideration by Pioli is Brandon Graham from Philly...another jr beast doing it while playing as a reserve.

2nd round...Maxx Williams will probably be gone...late 1st...I don't think NE will leave him on the board. But Walford from MIA is probably as good if not better

Gurley...I don't wish anything bad on the kid...but, I would love to see Gurley fall to the 3rd round and go to the Falcons...they need a RB obviously, but imo Freeman is a 20 touch a game guy...that's enough to ease Gurley back on the field.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McPhee...another great choice...I think there will be a pretty strong market for him...given the Steelers also need an edge pass rusher...I've been paying attention to these guys a lot more lately.

A guy I think should get some consideration by Pioli is Brandon Graham from Philly...another jr beast doing it while playing as a reserve.

2nd round...Maxx Williams will probably be gone...late 1st...I don't think NE will leave him on the board. But Walford from MIA is probably as good if not better

Gurley...I don't wish anything bad on the kid...but, I would love to see Gurley fall to the 3rd round and go to the Falcons...they need a RB obviously, but imo Freeman is a 20 touch a game guy...that's enough to ease Gurley back on the field.
New England does like their tight ends. At the same time they traded for Wright last year and Gronk is healthy (for now). Blount will likely be suspended for a few games next season and I would be surprised if they didn't cut him in final year of his contract. I think New England is going to be looking at Gurley or Gordon in the first. That being said, New England isn't going to be the only one showing interest in Williams and he could still be taken off of the board in the first round.

I agree, Graham is interesting too. It looks like he originally entered the league as a left defensive tackle but transitioned to DE and outside linebacker.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...a couple of other teams could nab Williams before NE.

Pioli should feast with 3 picks in the top 80...can't always count on rookies early, but imagine.

1.8...Pass rusher...Ray, Armstead (you're right, seems like he can be an edge rusher), or Fowler

2.10...TE..Walford (MIA), or LB McKinney (Ms St), or OT Sambrailo (Colo St)

3.9...lot of ways to go here...OG, DT, LB, WR (HD is expensive & Roddy is winding down)

Falcons should come away with 3 starters from this draft....maybe not all in '15, but contribute and start by '16 season.

This can be a fairly quick turnaround...IF...they get a proven pass rusher...keep Osi at the right price to mentor the young DL guys another year. Re-sign Peters, let Biermann go. There is a little rumble about Blaylock not making it, concerns about the back...but he's still a very good player...need to keep him...I would do what I could to get rid of Baker instead.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like we're unofficially not seeking Julius Thomas in free agency and Charles Clay just got the franchise tag. That only leaves Jordan Cameron and Jermaine Gresham as far as any TE worth having but I'd favor Cameron pretty heavily between those two. Once you get past them there isn't really anybody with much upside for blocking or receiving. Bear Pascoe won't be returning so I'm thinking we make a move either in free agency or the draft at this position at some point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron would be the most desirable, but also the most expensive...idk what direction they're going in, but it doesn't seem like they will be making a big move in FA...certainly not a top tier player. If so, they're keeping a strong lid on it...Leadbetter hasn't been able to get much out of them and he's the #1 beat writer in town.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay got the transition tag, not franchise. So a team can try and throw an offer to him that the Fins have to match. Apparently the Bills are looking into that now.

Freeman and Quizz a good enough duo, no? I don't think you need to invest heavily at RB.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron would be the most desirable, but also the most expensive...idk what direction they're going in, but it doesn't seem like they will be making a big move in FA...certainly not a top tier player. If so, they're keeping a strong lid on it...Leadbetter hasn't been able to get much out of them and he's the #1 beat writer in town.
That's what it looks like so far.

Clay got the transition tag, not franchise. So a team can try and throw an offer to him that the Fins have to match. Apparently the Bills are looking into that now.

Freeman and Quizz a good enough duo, no? I don't think you need to invest heavily at RB.
I've been in the minority about this but I don't like Quizz. He doesn't fit the offense and we don't need that many "change of pace" backs. ATL re-signed Antone Smith so I'm guessing when we do get a 3rd RB they're going to at least have a little size.

I like Clay a lot. If he could be had for a decent price I'd be all for it. Although at that point I think the Dolphins would probably just opt to keep him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayborne is the name recognition guy if you follow the DIV...Scofield OLB from SEA is also on board. The theme so far has been to upgrade the LB core...the only edge guy so far has been Clayborne who could be a 7-8 sack guy if used well.

I have to admit...I'm with you on Quizz...I actually like what he brings effort wise but he's had a hard running little guy that's not real fast. Think they signed a G today too. Durant, if healthy and Reed are largely viewed as big upgrades and Clayborne is already the best pass rusher on the roster...not splashy, but they're working.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Claiborne can stay health, that will be huge.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, the Falcons have taken a conservative approach in FA...that hasn't been the Dimitroff way until this year.

On the moves...Quinn comes out and says he wants to build around Spoon, shortly after, he signs in AZ for 1 yr/$4mil...Quinn was just blowing smoke, or that was kind of a head scratcher.

Aside from that...I like this approach...solid but not very expensive players have been added. On OFC, I thought thy might look at a TE.

If Blaylock wants to play for around $2 mil per, I think Quinn should bring him back. He can still play.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, the Falcons have taken a conservative approach in FA...that hasn't been the Dimitroff way until this year.

On the moves...Quinn comes out and says he wants to build around Spoon, shortly after, he signs in AZ for 1 yr/$4mil...Quinn was just blowing smoke, or that was kind of a head scratcher.

Aside from that...I like this approach...solid but not very expensive players have been added. On OFC, I thought thy might look at a TE.

If Blaylock wants to play for around $2 mil per, I think Quinn should bring him back. He can still play.
We just recently signed Moeaki and Jacob Tamme a few days ago. Both are veterans. Moeaki got a 1 year deal and Tamme got a 2 year deal.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just recently signed Moeaki and Jacob Tamme a few days ago. Both are veterans. Moeaki got a 1 year deal and Tamme got a 2 year deal.

Tamme is proven, but unspectacular...Moeaki could be a real find if healthy...in either case they have upgraded the TE position much like they did at LB.

I think they're too expensive to cut anyway, but it looks as if Tyson Jackson and Soliai are going to be on the team so I don't expect for them to take any DTs early in the draft.

I don't know if he's signed, but Blaylock back on the Falcon's cap # makes a lot of sense to me. Mike Person looks awful light to play G.

Finally...the signing or re-signing that really needs to work is Biermann...most fans that wanted Dimitroff out are starting to bubble over already.