• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Stanford the best 1 loss team in America?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep trying. Oregon would have needed a fucking miracle to win. Stanford knew it, I knew it, most knew it. Why would they have needed a miracle? Because they were absolutely crushed for about 90% of those precious 60 minutes. Ok, uo was able to get a little going, a lot too late, after stan leashed its D and uo got two lucky breaks that are rarities in football by themselves. The second after uo made it 20-26 I woulda laid a grand on stan winning the game still........and been happy with 1:10.

No, see, you're confused. A lot of teams that are in it start going for teh onsides kick with 10 minutes to go in the game.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, because you say so, we are suppose to overlook head to head?

You should treat head to head like any other game. Yes. If a team wins 48-7, that deserves a ton of weight because of the effect it has on a team's overall resume. But i'd say the same thing if two teams played us and one beat us by 30 and the other lost by 17.

I always use the totality of the resume. Head to head can matter a lot in evaluating this resume, but I never give it extra weight.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep trying. Oregon would have needed a fucking miracle to win. Stanford knew it, I knew it, most knew it. Why would they have needed a miracle? Because they were absolutely crushed for about 90% of those precious 60 minutes. Ok, uo was able to get a little going, a lot too late, after stan leashed its D and uo got two lucky breaks that are rarities in football by themselves. The second after uo made it 20-26 I woulda laid a grand on stan winning the game still........and been happy with 1:10.
Don't need to keep trying ... I've made my point and you and I disagree. There you have it. Moving along.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should really let this go ...

First, it isn't unprecedented ... there are many examples of officials screwing up and costing teams games.

Second, UGa got equally screwed in the Vanderbilt game. That loss will likely keep us from winning the East and going the SECCG. Have you heard one peep out of any of us? Maybe a little bitching in the game thread, but none after that. It's over and it is what it is.

Move on.

The fact that you can say this tells me you didn't watch the game.

And you are missing the fact that i'm not the one who brought it up. I've gotten over it awhile ago. We got fucked. The Pac-12 apologized. None of that is going to change. But I am a human with the power to perceive and I know what happened, and I rank accordingly, which is what I should do. If you think Georgia deserved the win over Vandy and would be ranked if they won, you should rank them. And if somebody calls you out for your ranking, you should defend it.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you consider the canes 2002 national champs then?

I've said before that, yes, I think they have some claim to being national champions. I probably lean towards Ohio State a little more because that game had neutral refs and some calls actually went Miami's way, but I fully respect and understand Miami fans who think they won the Fiesta Bowl. And if there were to be a list of top 25 teams over the last 25 years, I hope people would consider the PI when making their rankings.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should look at both who you beat and who you lost to. Hard to argue Oregon is a better one loss team than Stanford, less than 24 hours after Stanford beat them. Miami's wins have been unimpressive, and were demolished by the only team they'll face that will be ranked, granted FSU is solid this year, but eeking out wins against UNC and Wake and thier signature win being against a bad UF team, hard to say they are better than Stanford at this point.

That said, Stanford has looked very mortal at times this year, and thats not even factoring the Utah loss. They struggled early against Army (people seem to forget that was a pretty close game at one point). Last night was as good as they have looked all year. I'd say Stanford and Oregon are 1 2 in this category right now.

Man, tU got drug into this completely by accident. I was talking about clemson dammit! Didnt realize my vague comment applied to miami too. But, hey, does set up nice ifmiami can run the table....impressively for the most part :hope:

Also uf was ranked and still able to field a team when we played them.

If we get to acccg game we will have faced a top 3 team twice. Who else will be able to make that claim?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, tU got drug into this completely by accident. I was talking about clemson dammit! Didnt realize my vague comment applied to miami too. But, hey, does set up nice ifmiami can run the table....impressively for the most part :hope:

Also uf was ranked and still able to field a team when we played them.

If we get to acccg game we will have faced a top 3 team twice. Who else will be able to make that claim?

If you lose, people will only remember that they lost both times. FWIW, I fully expect that rematch to happen, road in front of UM is pretty open.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you can say this tells me you didn't watch the game.

And you are missing the fact that i'm not the one who brought it up. I've gotten over it awhile ago. We got fucked. The Pac-12 apologized. None of that is going to change. But I am a human with the power to perceive and I know what happened, and I rank accordingly, which is what I should do. If you think Georgia deserved the win over Vandy and would be ranked if they won, you should rank them. And if somebody calls you out for your ranking, you should defend it.
I did watch the game ... hell, I gave you shit that night at about 1am. You act like you are the only team to ever get screwed by the refs. How about 5 downs that cost Mizzou a game, or the PI call that gave OSU the Natty against Miami. There are plenty more.

I do believe that UGa should have beaten Vandy, but for the officials. But, I also realize it is part of the game and I moved along quickly. I am not going pretend my team doesn't have a loss it clearly has. To do otherwise would be incredibly lame.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart is not so smart. Shut up, nobody cares or gives a shit about the ASU game except for Wisconsin fans. You act as if your team is the only team that's ever been screwed by a bad call. If your team was that great, you wouldn't have allowed it to come to that, not to mention you already lost another game. Saying you are the best 1 loss team, or even have a case for it, is on the same lines as OD.

Wisconsin is probably only the 3rd best 2 loss team. Just shut up.

I'll say Stanford is the best 1 loss team overall. You can talk about who would beat who and make any case you want, but the fact is Stanford is the best 1 loss team on the toughest overall schedule. That will put them ranked the highest.

The Utah loss wasn't that bad either. It's not as bad as say the Iowa St loss by Oklahoma St in 2011.

Runner up is Clemson right now. Who's loss is a much better loss than Stanford, but lacks a win as good as Stanford, and a schedule that is as tough.

3rd I'd put Michigan St. Their loss is only slightly better than Stanfords, but they don't have a win that is even close to comparable to that of Clemson or Stanford.

Then I'd put up Missouri. If Missouri can win out, I'd probably move them up quite a bit. But I'm putting them down in 4th because I have doubts they will win out. They still have Ole Miss and A&M left and I think there is a good chance they drop one of those. They haven't played either of their west teams yet.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou controls its own destiny in this discussion so I'm not concerned.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season not over. If Mizzou wins out including tSEC CCG they get my vote as best 1 loss team.

Please note: this is not a prediction just a statement to indicate it us premature to decide.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou and UCF are the best one-loss teams.

I know because we beat them both. :cool2:

Clemson is the next best...

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart is not so smart. Shut up, nobody cares or gives a shit about the ASU game except for Wisconsin fans. You act as if your team is the only team that's ever been screwed by a bad call. If your team was that great, you wouldn't have allowed it to come to that, not to mention you already lost another game.

Wow. Where have I ever argued that we are the only team to ever be screwed by a bad call? Go ahead and link it. It's amazing that you put words in my mouth, and argument STILL is awful.

If our team was that great, we wouldn't have allowed it to come to that? Uh, what? I have us ranked #9. I have Arizona State ranked #24. It isn't that strange for think that #9 would only win by one in a true road game against #24. Arizona State's next closest home game was a 21 point win over USC. They beat Washington (you know, the same Washington that lost three at Stanford) by 29. So we outperformed two bowl bound Pac-12 teams by 20 points even if you disregard that terrible call.

Using your logic, I couldn't rank anyone in the top ten:

#1 Alabama only beat TAMU by 7. They are out of the top ten. If they were so good, they would have killed them.
#3 Florida State was in a dogfight with Boston College late in the fourth. They are out of the top ten. If they were so good, they would have killed them.
#4 Ohio State only beat Wisconsin by seven. They are out of the top. If they are so good, they would have killed them.
#5 Baylor needed a turnover in the last five minutes to best Kansas State. They are out of the ten. If they are so good, they would have killed them.

Get the picture? Notice how all of those tests from my top five teams are in EASIER games than at Arizona State? So how exactly would a one-point win over Arizona State prove we aren't a top ten quality team? The answer is it doesn't.

But oh wait! 4Down20 has a perfectly logical solution. See, all those other teams are undefeated. And Wisconsin isn't! Only your solution is completely devoid of logic. I didn't rank Wisconsin #1. I ranked Wisconsin #9, five slots behind our loss. A loss which happened by seven, on the road, against my #4 team. If this alone eliminates a team from the top ten, then nobody can be in the top ten.

If you want to argue that circumstances don't matter, that is your right. It is stupid for about a thousand reasons. But at least it is consistent. And if you believe that, ten you can go ahead with your little computer poll and rank Wisconsin #30 or whatever you have us. Just don't be shocked when we demolish BYU and another team ranked above us in a bowl game.

If you want to argue that my stance is inconsistent in a world with circumstances, that is an entirely different animal. And that is exactly what you try to do with these infantile and frankly embarrassing arguments you use here. It takes any person with any sense of logic about ten seconds to see that if we live in your logical world, NOBODY can be ranked. And well, that's not possible. You don't even try to add layers to your horrible ineptness.

It takes a true imbecile to come up with such an elementary logic AFTER you put words in someone's mouth. Congrats, though, you did it. It is quite the achievement. Now crawl back into your little cave where circumstances don't matter. At least within those parameters, you have a computer to make you not sound like someone who gets a 132 on the LSAT.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLDR: You are stupid, and nobody is good enough to be ranked in your hypothetical world.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did watch the game ... hell, I gave you shit that night at about 1am. You act like you are the only team to ever get screwed by the refs. How about 5 downs that cost Mizzou a game, or the PI call that gave OSU the Natty against Miami. There are plenty more.

I do believe that UGa should have beaten Vandy, but for the officials. But, I also realize it is part of the game and I moved along quickly. I am not going pretend my team doesn't have a loss it clearly has. To do otherwise would be incredibly lame.

But why? Why do you think circumstances don't matter? And if you really believe this, what are your thoughts on human polls? And taking it to another extreme, if you think the final score says everything, what are you even doing on a CFB board? All answers could just be settled by a computer program.

Thinking circumstances don't matter is directly contradictory with posting on this board. I give 4Down20 some latitude because he actually makes a computer poll and submits it. That's at least some evidence he genuinely discounts the circumstances of results. And to be honest, he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and doesn't understand how to think like a lawyer. I expected a little more from you, though.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Where have I ever argued that we are the only team to ever be screwed by a bad call? Go ahead and link it. It's amazing that you put words in my mouth, and argument STILL is awful.

If our team was that great, we wouldn't have allowed it to come to that? Uh, what? I have us ranked #9. I have Arizona State ranked #24. It isn't that strange for think that #9 would only win by one in a true road game against #24. Arizona State's next closest home game was a 21 point win over USC. They beat Washington (you know, the same Washington that lost three at Stanford) by 29. So we outperformed two bowl bound Pac-12 teams by 20 points even if you disregard that terrible call.

Using your logic, I couldn't rank anyone in the top ten:

Get the picture? Notice how all of those tests from my top five teams are in EASIER games than at Arizona State? So how exactly would a one-point win over Arizona State prove we aren't a top ten quality team? The answer is it doesn't.

But oh wait! 4Down20 has a perfectly logical solution. See, all those other teams are undefeated. And Wisconsin isn't! Only your solution is completely devoid of logic. I didn't rank Wisconsin #1. I ranked Wisconsin #9, five slots behind our loss. A loss which happened by seven, on the road, against my #4 team. If this alone eliminates a team from the top ten, then nobody can be in the top ten.

If you want to argue that circumstances don't matter, that is your right. It is stupid for about a thousand reasons. But at least it is consistent. And if you believe that, ten you can go ahead with your little computer poll and rank Wisconsin #30 or whatever you have us. Just don't be shocked when we demolish BYU and another team ranked above us in a bowl game.

If you want to argue that my stance is inconsistent in a world with circumstances, that is an entirely different animal. And that is exactly what you try to do with these infantile and frankly embarrassing arguments you use here. It takes any person with any sense of logic about ten seconds to see that if we live in your logical world, NOBODY can be ranked. And well, that's not possible. You don't even try to add layers to your horrible ineptness.

It takes a true imbecile to come up with such an elementary logic AFTER you put words in someone's mouth. Congrats, though, you did it. It is quite the achievement. Now crawl back into your little cave where circumstances don't matter. At least within those parameters, you have a computer to make you not sound like someone who gets a 132 on the LSAT.

I see lots of 1 loss teams that rank in the top10. Wisconsin is a 2 loss team.

As for my computer, who do you think wrote the program?:laugh3:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have wisconsin at 14th, I get the "other teams have had bad calls" argument but the wisky-asu game wasnt a bad call. It was a straight up stealing of a game by p12 officials and a prime example of why MOST games in the ooc either have officials from a neutral conference or the road teams conference. A bad call is explainable. Standing over the ball for 15 seconds and not letting a team snap it til time runs out is not