• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Raleigh Durham a possible candidate for a mlb team or is charlotte more likely?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Charlotte still have the Hornets :scratch:

Would that play a factor in it becoming more of a "sports" city or detract with the logic being, "Well, they already have an NBA team so they don't need another sport"?
Hornets and Panthers (NFL).

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hornets and Panthers (NFL).
lol
Oh, shit. I forgot all about the Camthers.

They got hockey, too? Carolina...something or others? Google has fucked up my powers of independent thought.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should re-name the Rays the Durham Bulls and move them there

Only way they could leave Canpa and still be my favorite team

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol
Oh, shit. I forgot all about the Camthers.

They got hockey, too? Carolina...something or others? Google has fucked up my powers of independent thought.
Hurricanes. Hey, they were champs just 11 years ago.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlotte just built a AAA ballpark about 3 years ago. If you think they will go back into that process, good luck. They might but I doubt it.
I am still not convinced private money will ever build another major sports arena, ever. Local government wants control over that sort of thing, since it first requires eminent domain to get the land to build it and it takes government regulations over the infrastructure of the place. Arguably, and I won't, government restrictions make any project messy but it's the way of the First World now. Owners of sports franchises aren't going to locate in places where they have to absorb all the cost of being there. They just -- won't.
Like it or don't.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Charlotte still have the Hornets :scratch:

Would that play a factor in it becoming more of a "sports" city or detract with the logic being, "Well, they already have an NBA team so they don't need another sport"?

The Panthers are also in Charlotte.

Raleigh has the NHL Hurricanes.

Omaha is the only viable place I can think of in the US that doesn't have at least one pro sports team, and even then that's Cornhusker country and home of the college World Series.

DesiredFan382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a mlb team where to come to the carolinas the Rays Or A's if they cannot get a new stadium deal finalized in their city hopefully they will but who do you think coukd land a new pro baseball team since Charlotte built a new AAA ballpark 3 years ago. I heard raleigh/durham has been a growing metro area and could get a MLS team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the two -- TB or Oakland -- I would bet on TB getting a ballpark because Florida bases a lot of its economy on tourism and such. A ballpark fits that narrative. I have zero idea what Oakland's economy comprises, other than I flew into their airport a few times.

DesiredFan382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but it seems like before their is any talks of bringing another mlb team to another U.S city it looks like Vegas which is in the US but only american city mentioned to land a mlb club right now Or Montreal will be awarded an mlb franchise either the A's or Ray's will go or will be in expansion if mlb gets to 32 teams one day.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are sinking $30 million into redevelopment/ballpark construction in High Point, so there obviously is an interest in minor league ball in the W-S area, but clearly the market research doesn't suggest anybody in that region is full-bore into wanting a big-league team or they'd be advised that a new minor league ballpark is a redundant use of money.

DesiredFan382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok don't get mad at me from digging up a old topic but i just think the state of north carolina can support s major league baseball franchise......could it be the Oakland A's or Tampa Bay Rays coming to Tobacco Row?

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlotte building a brand new AAA stadium in 2014 suggests that they were being either very short sighted or they just aren't interested in an MLB team. It is probably the former. The mayor of Charlotte wants an MLB team, so there's that. The Knights are drawing pretty well right now as they led minor league baseball in attendance last year. I don't really think the question is whether or not Charlotte (or North Carolina) can support an MLB team. I think a state with over 10 million people living in it will be able to do that, especially when you look at some of the attendance numbers throughout MLB.

I still remember when there were discussions of bringing the Twins to Kernersville, which is right outside of Winston-Salem.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are sinking $30 million into redevelopment/ballpark construction in High Point, so there obviously is an interest in minor league ball in the W-S area, but clearly the market research doesn't suggest anybody in that region is full-bore into wanting a big-league team or they'd be advised that a new minor league ballpark is a redundant use of money.

Probably the first person I have ever seen call High Point (or anything in Guilford county) the W-S area, so kudos for that. Most usually just call it the Greensboro area or the Triad (which is the proper name for the Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem area)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Atlanta Georgia cant seem to produce a solid fan base that shows up, I think the MLB is done with the South region of the United States.

Yeah, Atlanta, Tampa, and Miami, they don't draw. NC would be a tough sell.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer contraction to relocation.

Get rid of the A's and Rays and move the Brewers back to the AL where they belong

How about move the Brewers back to where they belong and relocate the Mariners.