• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Jason Day the best player not to win a major?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Spieth is geared more toward beating Rory right now. Tiger's other records might be in jeopardy later or they might not, but EVERY good/great golfer is trying to focus on the present. One shot at a time, one day at a time. That's the key to golf and key to life really - mentally. But it's hard NOT to get ahead of yourself especially today in this world.

I think Spieth is as well...and it will be good for the sport if they can tango for the next decade. Rory is too young to pass torch...maybe they can push each other. Another young American I like is Koepka, there's a few more out there.

I think Tiger's win/major totals are so far out there that it's way too early to even consider who might challenge them. If either one of these guys sniffs 10 majors within the next decade...then I think we can have legit talk about it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Spieth is as well...and it will be good for the sport if they can tango for the next decade. Rory is too young to pass torch...maybe they can push each other. Another young American I like is Koepka, there's a few more out there.

I think Tiger's win/major totals are so far out there that it's way too early to even consider who might challenge them. If either one of these guys sniffs 10 majors within the next decade...then I think we can have legit talk about it.

On one hand it's pure insanity to compare Rory to Tiger and yet on the other hand it's insane not to.
There is only 3 guys to win 4 majors by age 25.

Tiger, Jack and Rory.

If Rory was American, I'm thinking there would be more comparisons to Tiger, at least from the standpoint of major wins. Take Ricky Fowler as an example. He is a major star on the tour. Rory has 3 more majors than Ricky has PGA tour wins (which is 1)

You could say Rory's problem is his power and talent. You get the impression that he does not have a strategy in place for each shot. He thinks he can put the ball where he wants at any time. It's very Phil-like. Which is why they both have birdie or bogey after every hole kind of game. Spieth is much more methodical. He is similar to Tiger. He hits shots that leave you with a smaller opportunity for birdie but guarantees a par.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand it's pure insanity to compare Rory to Tiger and yet on the other hand it's insane not to.
There is only 3 guys to win 4 majors by age 25.

Tiger, Jack and Rory.

If Rory was American, I'm thinking there would be more comparisons to Tiger, at least from the standpoint of major wins. Take Ricky Fowler as an example. He is a major star on the tour. Rory has 3 more majors than Ricky has PGA tour wins (which is 1)

You could say Rory's problem is his power and talent. You get the impression that he does not have a strategy in place for each shot. He thinks he can put the ball where he wants at any time. It's very Phil-like. Which is why they both have birdie or bogey after every hole kind of game. Spieth is much more methodical. He is similar to Tiger. He hits shots that leave you with a smaller opportunity for birdie but guarantees a par.

Comparisons are the norm in golf, but what really has Rory in such lofty conversations is the potential career slam which obviously is a very exclusive list.

Rory has been dominant at times, but not nearly as consistent...You're right...he's more Phil like in missing the short putt every so often also...he doesn't have the Houdini trait quite yet.

JMHO...I think Rory will have 18-20 PGAT wins, maybe the same on the Euro tour with 6-7 majors...outstanding career. We'll have to see...the more bulked up Rory may not play as good.

If Spieth equals that just on the PGAT...golf will have a great run for the next decade+.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still going with Jason Day as the best player not to win a major.

He's there at Augusta, US Open, and British. Any major, anywhere the dude is lurking.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's there at Augusta, US Open, and British. Any major, anywhere the dude is lurking.

Times change seems like 3 years ago it was Luke Donald as the best player not to win a major

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Times change seems like 3 years ago it was Luke Donald as the best player not to win a major

Yeah Luke had a good British Open going.. I thought about picking him, but for some reason the Englishmen just don't really like St. Andrews I guess. :noidea:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed...He's placing well, but not really closing the deal...a shot here or there seems to be the difference.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go... Day and Spieth tomorrow with many great players lurking.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard someone say the other day that DJ is still younger than when Mickelson won his first major. I don't think DJ is Phil, but he's got time.

Can he control his thoughts and stay in his "Thursday" zone on the weekend is my question. No doubt he has the talent.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Jason Day winner of the PGA Championship
This thread is now obsolete

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard someone say the other day that DJ is still younger than when Mickelson won his first major. I don't think DJ is Phil, but he's got time.

Can he control his thoughts and stay in his "Thursday" zone on the weekend is my question. No doubt he has the talent.

2015 PGA Championship - Dustin Johnson opens final round with quadruple bogey | Golf Channel

Whoever stated that Johnson's problems are between the ears nailed this one. Yesterday was perfect proof. After a quad bogey on the 1st hole & a little more trouble he was basically lights out for the remainder of his round. Just makes you wonder how well he would do if there were no pressure.

Congrats to Jason Day - could not have happened for a nicer guy w/ a ton of talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 PGA Championship - Dustin Johnson opens final round with quadruple bogey | Golf Channel

Whoever stated that Johnson's problems are between the ears nailed this one. Yesterday was perfect proof. After a quad bogey on the 1st hole & a little more trouble he was basically lights out for the remainder of his round. Just makes you wonder how well he would do if there were no pressure.

Congrats to Jason Day - could not have happened for a nicer guy w/ a ton of talent.

DJ...when it comes major time, his length keeps him in the conversation, but he has not been able to get over the hump in handling the pressure.

But, I tend to agree with DJ...if he keeps getting in contention he'll eventually finish the drill.

Day...congrats indeed... Spieth applied a lot of pressure shooting 68 on Sunday and Day responded with 67 of his own...that was outstanding golf.

PGA...-20 doesn't feel like a major, but the red-headed step child continues to provide the most entertaining major of the year. The course punished bad shots, but it most certainly rewarded good ones.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just hope Rory doesn't pull a David Duval.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Rory doesn't pull a David Duval.

They both seem to be driven more by competition than money, but we'll have to see now that Under Amour and Nike have basically made the tour..."house money".