• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is It Too Early For Lakers To Look At Lottery Picks

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be easy to tank this season and hopefully Kobe doesn't play this year at all and rests. So now the Lakers simply need to think about those ping pong balls and who they should pick

Do they go for a legitimate point guard that can groomed quickly or do they get another shooting guard or do they go after a center.

I am going to say they need a legitimate point guard that will be able to run the paint - then they can run Nash another year and by the end of the season they can have the rookie ready to start

Superdonk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers really wanted to tank, it would be easy in the west.

Maybe not a bad idea. The new commish might want to start with the Lakers in the top 3. But correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't this pick belong to the Suns?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers need what ever best player they can get in the draft, IMO we need a Center & Embiid could be huge for them, like I have stated on the Lakers board we have always built with big men & right now we badly need a big presence at Center especially on Defense were we just get killed all day long.

As far as point guard I'm ok with going with Marshall & Farmar who when healthy is pretty good & both are young & play very well with the ball in their hands, we don't really need a superstar type point guard IMO.

Maybe not a bad idea. The new commish might want to start with the Lakers in the top 3. But correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't this pick belong to the Suns?

Lakers have a 1st round for 2014, the Bums have the Lakers 2015 1st round pick wich probably wont even be a high pick for the Suns if the Lakers do well next season at least. Lakers next 1st round pick wont be until 2016 I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers really wanted to tank, it would be easy in the west.

Not according to what I read - the Lakers has full control of their first round, but the second is conditional. I did some research and the news source if correct indicated that it's the last one for a couple of years

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers need what ever best player they can get in the draft, IMO we need a Center & Embiid could be huge for them, like I have stated on the Lakers board we have always built with big men & right now we badly need a big presence at Center especially on Defense were we just get killed all day long.

As far as point guard I'm ok with going with Marshall & Farmar who when healthy is pretty good & both are young & play very well with the ball in their hands, we don't really need a superstar type point guard IMO.

Lakers have a 1st round for 2014, the Bums have the Lakers 2015 1st round pick wich probably wont even be a high pick for the Suns if the Lakers do well next season at least. Lakers next 1st round pick wont be until 2016 I believe.

This is about what I heard -

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never too early. Lakers should be evaluating anybody in the top 15 because Lakers are going to have a lottery pick this year.

After that it is just selecting the best player available because they entire roster is going to turn over before they are contenders again or even deciding who to build around, exception being the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough to come off the bench.

Me personally I am always partial to Centers but being this is a few year rebuild wait to get a center later and save those ever precious knees.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they keep Nash and Kobe on injured list they will have a super high pick. They own that pick and the 2016 round 1 pick. All other picks ahead in round 1 and 2 are dealt out until 2017 earliest.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think it matters if Kobe or Nash play, both are really old and not going to win games.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think it matters if Kobe or Nash play, both are really old and not going to win games.

Kind of agree with this. There is no question that if Kobe and Nash are able to return relatively healthy, they would help the Lakers win a few more games, but it definitely would be unlikely that they would do more than cost the Lakers a few ping pong balls. Even with both of them healthy all season, the Lakers were probably looking at a low playoff seed at best.

For Nash, I believe he will return in a couple of weeks or so (last I heard anyway) and it will simply be about seeing if he has anything left or will he medically retire?

For Kobe, I believe we're now looking at a possible return in March, it will be about getting some run in and preparing for next season.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of agree with this. There is no question that if Kobe and Nash are able to return relatively healthy, they would help the Lakers win a few more games, but it definitely would be unlikely that they would do more than cost the Lakers a few ping pong balls. Even with both of them healthy all season, the Lakers were probably looking at a low playoff seed at best.

For Nash, I believe he will return in a couple of weeks or so (last I heard anyway) and it will simply be about seeing if he has anything left or will he medically retire?

For Kobe, I believe we're now looking at a possible return in March, it will be about getting some run in and preparing for next season.

Yeah - at this point I think Magic Johnson had it correct after all in shutting down Kobe this season. Then tank it, waive Nash and get some younger players that can run. I liked Botslayers idea of a big center, but D'antoni is violently opposed to defense and doesn't un a center based offense or defense of any kind, so I think another guard with some talent would be the best.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - at this point I think Magic Johnson had it correct after all in shutting down Kobe this season. Then tank it, waive Nash and get some younger players that can run. I liked Botslayers idea of a big center, but D'antoni is violently opposed to defense and doesn't un a center based offense or defense of any kind, so I think another guard with some talent would be the best.

If we can land Exum or Smart - we jump. No questions asked. You take them over Embiid even. Exum may end up going 1 or 2 even. If those guys are not there, we may look at a big man or next best player availabe.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid's value is much much higher than any PG in this draft. No, the Lakers would take him and start celebrating. You can build an entire franchise around that kid.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid's value is much much higher than any PG in this draft. No, the Lakers would take him and start celebrating. You can build an entire franchise around that kid.

I personally am partial to a big 7 foot center, but D'antoni is an idiot

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tlf, this draft is super strong through picks one through5 and still very strong through 15. Even at 20 a solid starter is possible . Exum decision makes this a draft class parallel to 2003

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know I am in the minority here - but Embiid is a potential bust. I hope somebody takes him at 1 because it won't be us, and that still leaves Exum, Smart, and even Wiggins.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

can't argue with you on this one, Logic. bigs with his kind of talent simply DON'T grow on trees...

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am in the minority here - but Embiid is a potential bust. I hope somebody takes him at 1 because it won't be us, and that still leaves Exum, Smart, and even Wiggins.

he certainly COULD be a bust, but i'm not seeing that happening. imo there's too much potential in this kid for that to happen. just sayin'...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he certainly COULD be a bust, but i'm not seeing that happening. imo there's too much potential in this kid for that to happen. just sayin'...

I totally get that I am in minority on this one, but just a feeling. Greg Oden was a "can't miss" to the point where he went over Kevin Durant. Embiid pick scares me. I just watched him play Texas, and he was the 3rd best big man in the game - Right behind Cam Ridley and Prince Ibeh. And I was thinking he was a bust before that game.

If somehow Exum and Smart are gone first, and we get Embiid around 5th or 6th, I would not argue. I don't think anyone sees that happening though.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get that I am in minority on this one, but just a feeling. Greg Oden was a "can't miss" to the point where he went over Kevin Durant. Embiid pick scares me. I just watched him play Texas, and he was the 3rd best big man in the game - Right behind Cam Ridley and Prince Ibeh. And I was thinking he was a bust before that game.

If somehow Exum and Smart are gone first, and we get Embiid around 5th or 6th, I would not argue. I don't think anyone sees that happening though.

yeah, you DO have a point with the Greg Oden thing. if we DO pick this guy up i hope that doesn't happen to the Lakers. already had to deal with Bynum and his crummy knees already...

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still hoping lakers get lucky in the lottery maybe get a 2nd or 3rd pick...without looking up I think they are currently 6 or 7