• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time to move on from Stafford?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one point you could make an argument he had it. He's not even close to having it any more.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has had one of his best seasons ever, granted the team is struggling, but hes bringing, and the only reason pittsburgh is on life support

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well now im just curious what your guys definition of "it" is
My definition would be:

1. Can make every pass.
2. Puts balls in areas where the receivers can YAC (which is where QBR fails I do believe)
3. Regularly converts on short yardage and redzone situations.
4. Has a consistent 2 minute drill

Peyton, Rodgers, Brady
Rivers, Brees indoors, Big Ben
Romo, Luck, Ryan, Wilson. Maybe Foles?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My definition would be:

1. Can make every pass.
2. Puts balls in areas where the receivers can YAC (which is where QBR fails I do believe)
3. Regularly converts on short yardage and redzone situations.
4. Has a consistent 2 minute drill

Peyton, Rodgers, Brady
Rivers, Brees indoors, Big Ben
Romo, Luck, Ryan, Wilson. Maybe Foles?

The top 3 have "IT" week in and week out. The fact you put "indoors" cancels Brees out. The other guys listed are second tier guys. Romo and Rivers are stat guys. They might not belong in that level at all. WIlson, Luck and Foles too early yet?? We see what happens to Ryan when his weapons are gone. Top 3 guys guys doesn't matter.

Ben is maybe the only guy I see as remotely having "IT". Cowher and Tomlin were run first guys so Ben's lack of stats hide his value to me at times

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has "anti-it"

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowher and Tomlin were run first guys so Ben's lack of stats hide his value to me at times
I can see that. But when it was time for Ben to have to take the offense under his wings and pass, he was/is money. I hate that big linebacker they have playing qb for the Steelers.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that. But when it was time for Ben to have to take the offense under his wings and pass, he was/is money. I hate that big linebacker they have playing qb for the Steelers.

That is what I was expressing. So many people get wrapped in stats. Not the end result. That is why Ben was my only other choice of that list to have clout of the "IT" factor.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about stats. Ben doesn't make the plays he used to.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about stats. Ben doesn't make the plays he used to.

I know you are a Brady homer... Does this mean he is slipping also. That BS PI call saved his ass in Browns game. Brady had some terrible games this year. Not making the hard plays he used to make look easy.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you are a Brady homer... Does this mean he is slipping also. That BS PI call saved his ass in Browns game. Brady had some terrible games this year. Not making the hard plays he used to make look easy.

I'm not a Brady homer. That PI happened, although not where it was called. Watch the replay and look at the defender grab inside the neck of Boyce's shoulder pads ~10. The ball was perfection.

But no, Brady hasn't been spectacular. He has missed throw he usually doesn't. Some of that is the turnover at receiver and the fact that the gameplans involved deliberately forcing balls to the rookies to keep them involved. Part is on Brady playing at a little lower level than we are accustomed to. I'll still take him over any other QB this year with the game on the line. He has made those throws over his career, and multiple great ones this year. With comfort with the receivers increasing by the week, I'll take my chances.

What does this have to do with Ben? He has built his career off of extending plays and finding people downfield. He's not particularly good in the pocket, and never has been. He doesn't have the mobility he used to, and it shows. I believe there are ~20 guys that would have the steelers in control of their own destiny right now instead of on the outside looking in. That team isn't spectacular by any means, but QB play has played a large role in that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a life long Brady fan and it's hard to watch the league help him win games like they did vs. the Browns. He wins enough on his own without the help.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Brady homer. That PI happened, although not where it was called. Watch the replay and look at the defender grab inside the neck of Boyce's shoulder pads ~10. The ball was perfection.

But no, Brady hasn't been spectacular. He has missed throw he usually doesn't. Some of that is the turnover at receiver and the fact that the gameplans involved deliberately forcing balls to the rookies to keep them involved. Part is on Brady playing at a little lower level than we are accustomed to. I'll still take him over any other QB this year with the game on the line. He has made those throws over his career, and multiple great ones this year. With comfort with the receivers increasing by the week, I'll take my chances.

What does this have to do with Ben? He has built his career off of extending plays and finding people downfield. He's not particularly good in the pocket, and never has been. He doesn't have the mobility he used to, and it shows. I believe there are ~20 guys that would have the steelers in control of their own destiny right now instead of on the outside looking in. That team isn't spectacular by any means, but QB play has played a large role in that.

Ben also had lack of WR's this year. No run game early and aging defense. Ben was never really good in pocket. He has made his name extending plays. You are a Brady homer. You just made a long post defending him ( and also showing his faults) yet, I am to believe that a simple "Ben is not making the plays anymore" is good enough example. Wallace alone was a huge adjustment for Ben.

I am not one to argue. However you seem to come off as your posts are always spot on. I do remember you stopping short of telling me I was a idiot for saying " watch out for Miami they will be in playoff contention and taking away the division. Your reply was " I am only worried about the Bills." How did this prediction play out.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ususally when i question his stances, he states " i just dont see it", or " this is what I see"

he also told me flacco is much much better than ben

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither are a concern to New England?

What is wrong with Ben not being a pocket passer? He isn't, never has been, and isn't good enough to be. The ability to shrug guys off and stand in the pocket for days is why he helped his team win when they did, and that's not there any more.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a life long Brady fan and it's hard to watch the league help him win games like they did vs. the Browns. He wins enough on his own without the help.

There is PI on damn near every play. Offense and defense. Just wish refs were on same page. This set of refs lets it go and next week another set call it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inconsistency is obnoxious. I also, despite their being PI on the play, have said the ref was wrong, because there was certainly nothing in the end zone.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither are a concern to New England?

What is wrong with Ben not being a pocket passer? He isn't, never has been, and isn't good enough to be. The ability to shrug guys off and stand in the pocket for days is why he helped his team win when they did, and that's not there any more.

care to explain his stats this year then?
64.4% completion percentage 7th in the league
4082 yards 7th in the league
27 tds 7th in the league
12 interceptions
93.7 qb rating

but the dude doesnt have it and 20 other qbs would be better