• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time to move on from Stafford?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a GA guy, watched him @ UGA...just a great talent, but can he be reeled in?

The window is going to close on those to great DT duo soon...I say you keep him and bring in a coach that will demand less gunslinger, and more QB...watching both him and Eli sometimes it's like...why? But Stafford strokes his own ego imo by trying to show off his big arm vs putting the ball where the read says it should go.

Bring in a coach that will correct that...and it makes sense to stay with him.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but he needs to be on a short leash. He needs a respected HC and OC that can reel him in. I'm not going to put all the Lions woes on Schwartz but he did little to discourage Stafford's freewheeling. He needs to go and see how Stafford responds

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid is 25. Far too early to move on. I'm of the opinion that good coaching can lead him to greatness.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone made a thread that said Stafford has a 1-22 record against winning teams in his career, which I find unbelievable.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Who do you move to?

Bare minimum he has the arm strength to get the ball up to your best offensive player. I think he's been doing pretty well and that coaching is to blame for the lack of team success, but even if he's just mediocre - who do you have access to that is better than mediocre? Does that similarly mediocre guy have the arm strength to take advantage of your best offensive asset?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone made a thread that said Stafford has a 1-22 record against winning teams in his career, which I find unbelievable.
Seen

Isn't wins and losses a team stat? Can't really argue that Stafford came to one the worst teams the NFL has ever seen. The center was also 1-22 in such games.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In 2012 Stafford (and the Lions) beat 8 teams who finished 8-8, all who would have finished with winning records had the Lions not beaten them. Not sure about 2009-2011.

Just depends on how you look at the stats.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The window is going to close on those to great DT duo soon....

Disagree. Neither are on their second contract yet and the Lions will probably keep them both.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Neither are on their second contract yet and the Lions will probably keep them both.

That's my point.

You're telling me they will both resign in DET with Stafford's, and Mega's contracts on the books...even in '15 when the purse strings are suppose open up...I don't see how.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Who do you move to?

Bare minimum he has the arm strength to get the ball up to your best offensive player. I think he's been doing pretty well and that coaching is to blame for the lack of team success, but even if he's just mediocre - who do you have access to that is better than mediocre? Does that similarly mediocre guy have the arm strength to take advantage of your best offensive asset?

I say no as well...they're too far along with Stafford...just needs a HC that's not afraid to ruffle his feathers a bit. But big arms (Cutler, Farve, Jeff George) have been moved before, so that alone is not

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford will or should be fine, if a HC comes in that either he or his staff can work with him. Ford family hire another nobody who is unproven, and Stafford IMO becomes a expensive perennial 8-8 QB.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I want to stick with the talented guy who needs to be reeled in or coached up or whatever the case is rather than start looking for ANOTHER replacement for fucking Bobby Layne. QB's don't grown on trees.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Who do you move to?

I disagree, I believe the coaching has a lot to do with it. The other big part is he doesn't have the heart of a champion. You can see it in Manning and Brady's eyes every time they step on the field. I see he likes to win but losing doesn't seem to bother him to much. If Brady loses you can see it eats him alive. People might disagree but after the Ravens lost. Guy had the look of "Oh, well".

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of "Awww Schucks!!" from Chubbs, pretty tired of it. Waste of time to want him gone though. So I'll just pretend I hope he gets better under a new head coach. (Also a waste of time...)

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move on from Stafford? Really? The franchise has been a black hole at the QB position for the last 50 years, and we're just going to move on from Stafford? What, go to the QB tree and pluck the next franchise QB from that?

Granted, the kid laid a giant egg this season, but I'm not sure I want the Lions to go on to their next 50 year search just yet.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had the same discussions regarding Carson Palmer back in the day and I think Stafford and Palmer are very comparable (big arm, not much upstairs).

Fire the HC and OC and give him a few more years. Cut bait if no improvement is shown.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move on from Stafford? Really? The franchise has been a black hole at the QB position for the last 50 years, and we're just going to move on from Stafford? What, go to the QB tree and pluck the next franchise QB from that?

Granted, the kid laid a giant egg this season, but I'm not sure I want the Lions to go on to their next 50 year search just yet.

I'm with you...but in this knee jerk society...some fans might want to pull the plug. Elway in his younger days was very similar, tried to make the great play too often because he had the big gun and threw a lot of picks...most in the thread see coaching as the fix, which I agree with.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah the lions have that wins/loss record and somehow lions fans always conveniently look past how awful the team does against good teams until its too late. See some of the comments back when the lions were 6-3 and had only beaten the bears and the cowboys, two teams who suck just as much. So anyhow its not just a stafford thing, its a team thing. Stafford will be fine in the end.