• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time for Mayhew to go?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit has been pretty consistent the last 13-15 years!

Awful and short of a season or two that fans got their hopes up Detroit has fallen flat on their over paid asses!

The Millen years set this franchise back a decade! His drafts and coaching hires were epic failures. Without the drafting of Calvin Johnson I can not see one guy as a true Al Star that Millen drafted. And when Ford decided to let Millen go he defied all reason and selected his protege in Mayhew.

Much like the Lions seasons Mayhew got the fans excited by swindling Jerry Jones on a trade as well as getting Chris Houston for peanuts! Only to not follow them up with any significant moves of note! Although the Sims signing was nice, as was Shaun Hill but nothing to get Detroit over the hump!

Mayhew has been a complete disaster in the draft blowing high picks regularly. Jahvid Best, Mikhel LeShoure, Broyles, and Titus Young to mention a few glaring bombs! I would like to give him credit for last years drat but looking at track record I feel pretty confident that was Xanders calling the shots.

With yet another late season meltdown and everyone cling for Schwartz's head shouldn't Mayhew be on the chopping block as well? Schwartz is an undisciplined fool but the man that brought him to town and signed him to be one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL deserve the same fate?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I give him one more year. It really depends on who was behind the moves last offseason because they were brilliant, was it him or xanders? If xanders, bye martin. If not, keep him.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Ford's d not get rid of Mayhew he gets to hire the next coach and will get to ride the new coaches coat tails for a few years.

I have no faith he can hire the right guy!

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's job is to bring in talent. That is his one and only job. Step back and think about if he has done that job. I say yes. Definately. He may not hit on late round draft picks (besides this yr), but this team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. Its just that fuckboy schwartz. It is all his fault. All of it

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a big problem with his track record in the 2nd round and on (although last year gave us Warford and Taylor) but I'm willing to give him one more shot because he hits on his early picks and a lot of teams don't (Rams come to mind) and because Schwartz was his first HC hire.

Now if they make an honest effort for a Gruden or Cowher who wants full-control, you gotta can him.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say no, simply because I believe Mayhew wanted Schwartz gone last year.

Tells me he'll take steps to correct a problem.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it up to Mayhew to fire Schwartz or someone else?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's time. He should have been canned right along with Millen, and every other member of Millen's team.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd fire him right now, for not firing Schwartz yet today. WTF!?!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a Monkey in people cloths? Or Jim Schwartz, not really sure. Me and Two Thumbs Up have been together since just after the road losing streak was snapped at Tampa. I'll take a little longer with the decision than Marty Mayhew does when doling out extensions.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz is basically going to be fired because he couldn't get what a lot of people see as a loaded team to the playoffs. I would say that's a pretty good reason to see if Mayhew can hire the right guy and move the franchise forward. And if Brian Xanders is the reason Mayhew had a good offseason then it's good he has Xanders and is listening to him. I'm not going to fault him for bringing in a good resource and using it.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's job is to bring in talent. That is his one and only job. Step back and think about if he has done that job. I say yes. Definately. He may not hit on late round draft picks (besides this yr), but this team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. Its just that fuckboy schwartz. It is all his fault. All of it

:agree: Dead on here. He had a killer off season with the draft and free agency. He will get at least another season. He just needs to learn how to bring in talent at the coaching position. It's not that hard to see which coach has the "it" factor and which ones don't.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second round pick is such an important pick and he has let a lot of talent slip through with bust after bust after bust. Late round picks have been equally inept.

The Lions bring in Xanders and all of a sudden they hit on Warford, Miller, and UDFA Fuaria and Waddle. So I question how much talent Mayhew has brought in. The best gem he has found appears to be Bell.

Mayhew is the same guy that hired Schwartz so the fact he wanted to fire him is off set by wanting him gone. I would also think Mayhew had to have a big say in resigning him at 6 mil per season. Just a ridiculous amount for a guy with 1 playoff appearance and an awful record against teams with a winning record.

And again the most damning fact regarding Mayhew is he was part of the Millen regime.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to damn a guy because his boss was an idiot, you'd be damning 90% of America.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoJack ripped into Mayhew on Sunday, by the way.

12/22 Lawrence Jackson ‏@lojackson94 12m

I also think mr. martin mayhew needs a new ZIP CODE...to be as Egotistical and Arrogant as he is with that bad product he needs to go...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a big problem with his track record in the 2nd round and on (although last year gave us Warford and Taylor) but I'm willing to give him one more shot because he hits on his early picks and a lot of teams don't (Rams come to mind) and because Schwartz was his first HC hire.

Now if they make an honest effort for a Gruden or Cowher who wants full-control, you gotta can him.

Along with fauria, waddle and martin. The lions did a great job with back end of draft/udfas this past offseason.