• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it just me, or are NFL reporters more full of shit than the rest?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it seem like NFL reporters get it wrong so much more often than say NBA or MLB reporters? NFL reporters such as Shefter, LaConfora, Rapoport, etc. get it wrong all the time, even reporting outright Bull Shit at times. I don't see this nearly as often in the NBA or MLB reporting fields. Now of course every reporter gets it wrong from time to time, but these NFL guys are wrong so often that it makes me wonder if it is by design. Obviously the NFL loves dominating the news headlines as much as possible, to the point that I honestly believe the league buys into the adage that "there is no such thing as bad publicity". With that in mind does the league intentionally give these reporters a lot of latitude with the stories they write? I know the NFL can't necessarily control what is printed about them, but they can leverage press credentials if someone is not playing by the "rules".

One very recent example that I can point to would be Randy Gregory. Just a few weeks ago before the week 2 game against the Giants, Shefter and LaConfora were reporting that Gregory was facing discipline from the league for a reported substance abuse violation, and that the league would be ruling on it the following week. Well nothing ever came of it, and we have heard nothing since. Why do these guys get free passes to write stories like this? At the end of the day I suppose the blame falls onto the consumer for giving these guys page clicks, and the networks that employ these people for giving them the platform.

Is it just me or is this more of a problem for the NFL than the other major pro leagues?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it seem like NFL reporters get it wrong so much more often than say NBA or MLB reporters? NFL reporters such as Shefter, LaConfora, Rapoport, etc. get it wrong all the time, even reporting outright Bull Shit at times. I don't see this nearly as often in the NBA or MLB reporting fields. Now of course every reporter gets it wrong from time to time, but these NFL guys are wrong so often that it makes me wonder if it is by design. Obviously the NFL loves dominating the news headlines as much as possible, to the point that I honestly believe the league buys into the adage that "there is no such thing as bad publicity". With that in mind does the league intentionally give these reporters a lot of latitude with the stories they write? I know the NFL can't necessarily control what is printed about them, but they can leverage press credentials if someone is not playing by the "rules".

One very recent example that I can point to would be Randy Gregory. Just a few weeks ago before the week 2 game against the Giants, Shefter and LaConfora were reporting that Gregory was facing discipline from the league for a reported substance abuse violation, and that the league would be ruling on it the following week. Well nothing ever came of it, and we have heard nothing since. Why do these guys get free passes to write stories like this? At the end of the day I suppose the blame falls onto the consumer for giving these guys page clicks, and the networks that employ these people for giving them the platform.

Is it just me or is this more of a problem for the NFL than the other major pro leagues?
They have their sources within each team that they go to. Sometimes the sources pan out, sometimes they don't. The timing is wrong more times than not. I think it's a matter of when, not if with Gregory.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe what we're seeing is there are too many of them so they tend to insinuate fac,t when it is simply their opinion. Much like CNN.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't sweat the small stuff....

No sweat here. I honestly give less of a fuck about pro sports than ever before. It's quite liberating honestly. When I was younger I used to get so wrapped up into these games and outcomes, but the older I get the less this stuff moves me. I still enjoy talking about the game/Cowboys and still enjoy the highs, but the losses/lows don't even register anymore.

Still, I am curious why the NFL beat is such a shit show compared to the reporting in other pro leagues?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No sweat here. I honestly give less of a fuck about pro sports than ever before. It's quite liberating honestly. When I was younger I used to get so wrapped up into these games and outcomes, but the older I get the less this stuff moves me. I still enjoy talking about the game/Cowboys and still enjoy the highs, but the losses/lows don't even register anymore.

Still, I am curious why the NFL beat is such a shit show compared to the reporting in other pro leagues?

I don't know about not giving a fuck, but there are for sure things I've moved on from.

NHL regular season.

NBA.

MLB.

NASCAR.

Indy cars.

Golf.

Still watch select tennis. F1. All NFL. Select NHL playoffs (never used to miss a second, and up here that's a lot of hockey).

Real life makes it's intrusions on TV sports viewing. I don't get static from the missus, there is just stuff to be done.

So I'm forced to high grade. No sticks and seeds....

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, who cares man. F ‘em all is a decent strategy.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because theres a shit ton more parity in the NFL than any other sport

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The other leagues reporters are better or not watched as closely ?

Cowboys suck.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, they are pretty bad in the NFL. But the media nowadays cares more about clicks than reputation. If they cared about reputation then schmucks like Rappaport would have been out of a job decades ago.

"Sources" is a bullshit crutch used to maintain an illusion of credibility.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for any of the other major North American sports, but I think it's easy to figure it out for the NFL.

First, the league's popularity dwarfs every other sport combined, and with multiple outlets (NFLN/ESPN/Fox/NBC/CBS) covering the league, they all have their 'insiders' to break news. Surely they have more of those guys than the other leagues. Secondly, as its been noted...it's seemingly more important in this twitter-centric universe to be 'first' than to be accurate.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News in general is more fueled by hype and clicks than by truth.