• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is "Guest Hosting" the next loophole in recruiting?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to change recruiting in a big way IMO. Penn State's James Franklin is in the news for partnering with Georgia State to guest host a camp for potential recruits. Meaning the camp is held near GSU.

SEC commish Mike Slive is not happy. He has a point also. You have a northeast school that recruits right in SEC country with a camp.

The kids come to see Penn State, but only have to go to Georgia States camp. And if the kid doesn't get into Penn State, there is GSU right there saying hey, we will take you. So GSU gets to see high end kids that otherwise may not have considered them.

It is a win win scenario for the host school GSU and the guest host school PSU.

I wouldn't mind Oregon setting one of these up at some small school in Texas, Georgia, Florida, or Louisiana.

This is a major loophole and Franklin is taking advantage now. Other teams will assuredly follow suit. What better way to compete with the SEC In Recruiting but to "guest host" a camp in their backyard.

Slive wants it shut down immediately.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine if he can't stop it the SEC will follow suit.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine if he can't stop it the SEC will follow suit.

The SEC already has the strangle hold on the best region in recruiting anyways.

I suppose they could go to Bay Area or LOs Angeles. Seems like a waste of time for the SEC teams to do it when the cream of the crop is in their backyard.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin is a genius.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC already has the strangle hold on the best region in recruiting anyways.

I suppose they could go to Bay Area or LOs Angeles. Seems like a waste of time for the SEC teams to do it when the cream of the crop is in their backyard.

You make good points. I read about this earlier today and, as a Bama fan, aren't all that concerned about it. Saban's nationwide anyway these days.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make good points. I read about this earlier today and, as a Bama fan, aren't all that concerned about it. Saban's nationwide anyway these days.

Ya, very true. But many other teams and the conference as a whole should not want this going on.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Slive I would lift the rule immediately.

The SEC has a rule of no guest hosting. And camps only within 50 miles of campus.

But Slive is going after ncaa to close loophole. I see why he wants to do it that way. This hurts the SEC more than anybody. Because everyone will be going down south for their guest hosting.

Bama and LSU don't need to go to Cali. But Oregon, Ohio, UW, etc etc could greatly benefit from going down south.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont work, We all know that southern players cant play in the cold weather up north. Them B1G fans have told us this for years and we all know they are never wrong.:whistle:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont work, We all know that southern players cant play in the cold weather up north. Them B1G fans have told us this for years and we all know they are never wrong.:whistle:

:heh:

disclaimer: Oregon is a west coast school. Not a school up North

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing about this is that Georgia State would not be attractive to players looking at and being recruited by an FBS school like PSU. GSU is a small school that is in the heart of Downtown Atlanta and spread across hell and creation. They are actually trying to get the Atlanta Braves current stadium after they move out to turn into a football stadium, they dont even have a decent field of their own to play on. I dont see this being a good fit for PSU, but atleast it gets them a stronghold in the south for a camp.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have one in Stetson also in FL.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing about this is that Georgia State would not be attractive to players looking at and being recruited by an FBS school like PSU. GSU is a small school that is in the heart of Downtown Atlanta and spread across hell and creation. They are actually trying to get the Atlanta Braves current stadium after they move out to turn into a football stadium, they dont even have a decent field of their own to play on. I dont see this being a good fit for PSU, but atleast it gets them a stronghold in the south for a camp.
I don't think the kids attending these camps care what field it is on. Hell the Bowden's used to hold a camp every year in Brundidge, Alabama, about as Podunk as you can get. Not sure if they still do.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the kids attending these camps care what field it is on. Hell the Bowden's used to hold a camp every year in Brundidge, Alabama, about as Podunk as you can get. Not sure if they still do.

I wasnt talking about the one they hold the camp on, but more to the field they play on for games. GSU plays in the Georgia Dome for all its home games and I am sure are being raped by that facility to let them play there. Now they are looking for a handout by the City and State over the Atlanta Braves Stadium and its impending emptiness after the Braves move into their new house outside the city limits.

Point i am really trying to makes is that kids being recruited by PSU are not really going to find GSU attractive due to its location, its lack of a permanent home field currently and the fact it has just become an FBS team this past year. They are not top quality in terms of players they get, thats more my point.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt talking about the one they hold the camp on, but more to the field they play on for games. GSU plays in the Georgia Dome for all its home games and I am sure are being raped by that facility to let them play there. Now they are looking for a handout by the City and State over the Atlanta Braves Stadium and its impending emptiness after the Braves move into their new house outside the city limits.

Point i am really trying to makes is that kids being recruited by PSU are not really going to find GSU attractive due to its location, its lack of a permanent home field currently and the fact it has just become an FBS team this past year. They are not top quality in terms of players they get, thats more my point.
The kids aren't attending the camp just because they may play at Georgia State. These camps attract talent from the area. I'm sure with PSU as a co-host the talent level will improve in a major way, be it at GSU, UGA or GT.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any big time recruits being taken from UGA from this

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids aren't attending the camp just because they may play at Georgia State. These camps attract talent from the area. I'm sure with PSU as a co-host the talent level will improve in a major way, be it at GSU, UGA or GT.

It's a bit slimy. PSU can not host it, so they are using GSU's name to skirt the rules. Not exactly surprising coming from Franklin. Clearly the spirit of the camp is a violation of NCAA rules. Same fans will claim the SEC is filled with cheats. Whole thing smacks of hypocrisy

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to change recruiting in a big way IMO. Penn State's James Franklin is in the news for partnering with Georgia State to guest host a camp for potential recruits. Meaning the camp is held near GSU.

SEC commish Mike Slive is not happy. He has a point also. You have a northeast school that recruits right in SEC country with a camp.

The kids come to see Penn State, but only have to go to Georgia States camp. And if the kid doesn't get into Penn State, there is GSU right there saying hey, we will take you. So GSU gets to see high end kids that otherwise may not have considered them.

It is a win win scenario for the host school GSU and the guest host school PSU.

I wouldn't mind Oregon setting one of these up at some small school in Texas, Georgia, Florida, or Louisiana.

This is a major loophole and Franklin is taking advantage now. Other teams will assuredly follow suit. What better way to compete with the SEC In Recruiting but to "guest host' a camp in their backyard.

Slive wants it shut down immediately.

:nono:

It does though sound like a good idea. Also, maybe the schools that schedule FCS games to help fund the small institutions in their backyards can now just help fund them this way.