• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's average-to-below-average among NFL starters. That makes a him a mediocre NFL starter.

In a great year he might be top-ten, and in a bad year he's bottom-ten.
no disagreement this may very well be the case for him. Hell, he might end up being well below average. But it's kooky talk for someone to think in 2020 he was the 18th best QB because that's where he was in yards.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBR grades every QB on every play and the QBs contribution to that play with no agenda. They ranked Baker #10 in 2020.

If a QB throws a ball right to the DB but he tips it to a RB who runs 80 yards, passer rating says the QB made a great play. You think that's a better way to gauge QB play than QBR which would not credit the QB at all for such a play?

I've also said his labrum issue was not solely responsible for all his problems, such as some of his bad decisions. Of course, I'm rational, objective and have no agenda. Though most players who commented said most players in all major sports would have shut it down with Baker's injury.

Also said Baker had an awful 2021 season.

May want to learn more about QBR before you compare it to passer rating as passer rating has become kind of antiquated (if you even know how it's measured)....

"ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating (Total QBR), which was released in 2011, has never claimed to be perfect, but unlike other measures of quarterback performance, it incorporates all of a quarterback’s contributions to winning, including how he impacts the game on passes, rushes, turnovers and penalties. Also, since QBR is built from the play level, it accounts for a team’s level of success or failure on every play to provide the proper context and then allocates
I'm not sure why you are going through the trouble of defending him by using a stat that I didn't even use. Like I said: "I provided the most commonly used stats to rank QBs" and "QB Rating is a much more widely used stat than QBR at this time".

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's average-to-below-average among NFL starters. That makes a him a mediocre NFL starter.

In a great year he might be top-ten, and in a bad year he's bottom-ten.
In his best year he wasn't top 10. In a bad year he isn't even an NFL starter level QB and his trade market pretty much proved that NFL teams agree.
Car is paying him the same cap hit as Cle is paying Brissett.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why you are going through the trouble of defending him by using a stat that I didn't even use. Like I said: "I provided the most commonly used stats to rank QBs" and "QB Rating is a much more widely used stat than QBR at this time".
QBR has kind of caught up and passed the antiquated passer rating system by anyone who really wants to know what a QB did to help (or not help) his team.

But, sure, if you want to say you don't want to understand how to better grade a QB without saying you don't want to understand how to better grade a QB then have at it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his best year he wasn't top 10. In a bad year he isn't even an NFL starter level QB and his trade market pretty much proved that NFL teams agree.
Car is paying him the same cap hit as Cle is paying Brissett.
The systems with no agenda and not as antiquated as passer rating (QBR and PFF) seem to think he was top 10 in 2020.

Just curious, do you even know what factors into passer rating?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clicked on the link and got this:

View attachment 303036

Looks like they have Mayfield at 18
yep. In yards. Click on QBR and he's 10.

are you getting spooked by Qs again as you didn't answer the first time I asked you.......Did you think Derek Carr was the 5th best QB in 2021, better than Rodgers, Allen, Burrow, etc?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. In yards. Click on QBR and he's 10.

are you getting spooked by Qs again as you didn't answer the first time I asked you.......Did you think Derek Carr was the 5th best QB in 2021, better than Rodgers, Allen, Burrow, etc?
In answer to your question no I don’t, but I do feel Baker is mediocre.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see....so you think yards is a good way to rank QBs, unless it does not suit your agenda?
Not a believer in QBR where they use things like expected point added to help arrive to QBR

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see....so you think yards is a good way to rank QBs, unless it does not suit your agenda?
I do think yards combined with TDs and Interceptions give you an accurate picture. Carr had more yards but way fewer TDs and more interceptions then the others.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a believer in QBR where they use things like expected point added to help arrive to QBR
you'd rather use yards when a QB could throw a dumpoff and a RB could break a handful of tackles and go 80 yards? You think a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 12 should mean more to the team than a 6 yard pass on 3rd and 4?

Here is an article on EPA that can explain it to you if you'd just care to admit you don't understand....

From the article...

To make the concept more tangible, here are some examples:

• From your own 20-yard line, an 8-yard gain on third-and-10 is worth about minus-0.2 EPA because you don't get a first down; the same 8 yards on third-and-7 is worth 1.4 EPA for converting a long third down and keeping the drive alive. EPA knows that not all yards are created equal.

• A turnover on first-and-10 at midfield that is taken back to your own 20 is worth minus-5.5 EPA; a Hail Mary interception at the end of the half from midfield is not nearly as penalizing. EPA knows that all turnovers aren't created equal, as well.

• A 60-yard pass play down to the 1-yard line on third-and-10 is worth 5.7 EPA because it puts you right on the doorstep of scoring. The subsequent 1-yard rushing TD on first-and-goal is worth much less, even though that's the play that actually gets you the six points. Think about which play is more valuable to the offense (not in terms of fantasy football).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think yards combined with TDs and Interceptions give you an accurate picture. Carr had more yards but way fewer TDs and more interceptions then the others.
Ok, but even all yards are not created equally as QBR takes into account. Nor are TDs in some cases. I mean, if a RB takes the ball 80 yards to the 1 and the QB flips it in from there did the QB have more to do with the score for the team?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you'd rather use yards when a QB could throw a dumpoff and a RB could break a handful of tackles and go 80 yards? You think a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 12 should mean more to the team than a 6 yard pass on 3rd and 4?

Here is an article on EPA that can explain it to you if you'd just care to admit you don't understand....

From the article...

To make the concept more tangible, here are some examples:

• From your own 20-yard line, an 8-yard gain on third-and-10 is worth about minus-0.2 EPA because you don't get a first down; the same 8 yards on third-and-7 is worth 1.4 EPA for converting a long third down and keeping the drive alive. EPA knows that not all yards are created equal.

• A turnover on first-and-10 at midfield that is taken back to your own 20 is worth minus-5.5 EPA; a Hail Mary interception at the end of the half from midfield is not nearly as penalizing. EPA knows that all turnovers aren't created equal, as well.

• A 60-yard pass play down to the 1-yard line on third-and-10 is worth 5.7 EPA because it puts you right on the doorstep of scoring. The subsequent 1-yard rushing TD on first-and-goal is worth much less, even though that's the play that actually gets you the six points. Think about which play is more valuable to the offense (not in terms of fantasy football).
I understand it just fine just don’t think it works.