• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Anyone Alive Out There: Ongoing Mets Thread

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I don't mind it, OF, I'd rather go with somebody who isn't coming off of knee injuries.

It would be a typical Mets signing though. Somebody off of a down year and looking for a starting spot, much like what we did with Byrd.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins Wants A Cleanup Hitter.

“We’ve got to find us somebody who can keep the opposing pitchers from pitching around David Wright,” Terry Collins recently told the Midland Daily News. “That’s one of the things we will be looking for in the offseason.”
david-wright-1-polaroid4.jpg
That’s the plan, anyway, at least as I understand it from people familiar with the team’s thinking. I don’t know names, I only know that the goal has been to trade for power – as opposed to getting it from the free-agent market.
I do know the Blue Jays, Rockies, A’s and Angels all have power to move, they like Sandy Alderson’s pitching, and there is no way these teams don’t all talk at some point in the next few months. Hopefully he can find a fair deal with one of them, because Collins is correct, the Mets need more than just wishful thinking hitting behind Wright, they need a track record of power.
“If all goes well, I definitely think we’ll be better in 2014,” Collins added.

Metsblog | Latest News, Rumors and Opinion about the Mets

Bautista, Cespedes, Trumbo, CarGo and Tulo are names that will be linked to us all Winter, hopefully we can land at least one of them.

vinnio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% need a power bat in OF ,1B. that has to get done this season.
Reyes SS ?? Have pitching to trade, What you think?
Need a Veteran starter (Two)1 Lefty and 1 righty would be nice to eat innings.3.50-4.00 era types
New to this board.
Hope I will be welcomed.
Vin

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney ✔ @Buster_ESPN
The Angels want pitching,and sources say they've indicated a willingness to other teams to trade Peter Bourjos or/and Mark Trumbo to get it.

If we can move one of Gee/Montero for one of them, preferably Trumbo, that would be awesome. Solves our 1B problem and protection for Wright in the lineup, as well as a cleanup hitter.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the thought of Trumbo more than other names I've heard thrown around. We could also stick him in right if need be, Flores at 2nd and Murph at 1st.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently we're looking to move Young to 2nd? So we take a position of weakness in outfield and sacrifice the only redeemable player to move to an overloaded position? Are we trading Murphy and do they not think Flores is MLB ready yet?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Murphy and Parnell will be packaged together with a guy like Montero for a power corner outfield bat, just not sure which one.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets continue to talk with teams interested in trading for Ike Davis, Sandy Alderson told reporters Tuesday at Citi Field.
“We’re still talking with a number of teams,” he added. “I can’t say anything will happen.”
According to Alderson, there are fewer teams interested today than at other points this winter, mostly because those teams may have secured an alternative and/or are no longer in the market for a first baseman.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this, bringing Ike to spring training and sticking with Tejada might not be the worst thing in the world. We can't just give up on (or give away) a guy who hit 32 HRs not too long ago and who actually made a decent comeback in the 2nd half of last year. I'd rather take a chance with Tejada than sign Nancy Drew.

Duda? Well, I don't know. He would be much better off in the AL, where he has a chance to be a DH.

Let's see what happens and maybe hope that a deal with Seattle or the Brewers becomes a reality. If not, let's roll the dice and go with what we have. Starting pitching certainly won't be an issue, barring injuries.

I'm sticking with my refrain from last year: Have faith in Sandy Alderson, the guy knows what he's doing.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets claim Ryan Reid off waivers

The Mets have claimed RHP Ryan Reid off waivers from the Pirates (Mets).
Reid, a relief pitcher, appeared in seven games for the Pirates last season, making his major league debut in the process. The 28-year-old posted a 1.64 ERA and 1.091 WHIP in 11 innings, including one save. In Triple-A, Reid posted a 2.73 ERA and 1.197 WHIP over 59 1/3 innings last year.
In the minors, appearing in over 300 games, Reid has a 3.87 ERA and 1.353 WHIP, including 543 minor league strikeouts.
Reid was drafted by Tampa in 2006 and was with the organization until 2012, when he signed with the Pirates. He was designated for assignment by Pittsburgh on December 13.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricciardi: Front office happy to start with Ruben Tejada at shortstop

On Thursday night, Mets special assistant JP Ricciardi told Rob Bradford and John McDonald of WEEI Radio in Boston the team is happy to go into camp with Ruben Tejada as their projected starting shortstop.
“A lot of young players who get to play at the big league level early in their career, a lot of them don’€™t realize how hard it is to play every day,” Ricciardi explained about Tejada. “They get to the big leagues, some things happen for them and they forget how tough it is to stay there. … I think next year he’€™s going to be a better player than he was this previous year.”
Ricciardi acknowledged the shortstop market has not evolved the way they envisioned, which is partly why the Mets have become open to the possibility of Tejada starting the year as their shortstop.
“Sometimes there’€™s just supply and demand and I think right now there’€™s just not a lot of demand for shortstops,”€￾ Ricciardi said. “I think in this case there’€™s a lot of shortstops that are already in place.”

In other words, content with being mediocore

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always love that around this time of year, teams fail to upgrade from or deal the player they've been looking to deal and they totally flip the script and tell everyone they have faith in the player. While I do agree with him that Tejada will have a better season I still think we wind up dealing for a SS.

What are our thoughts on Sandy asking for high end pitching prospects for Ike? I get it, he wants more pitching so that it is easier to deal pitching prospects down the road but I'm not sure anybody is going to cave and deal a high end pitching prospect based purely on what a guy can potentially do. I think Ike stays, hopefully he performs well and we either stick with him or get a team to overpay for him then. I just don't believe the Mets have any leverage right now.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets are waiting out Drew’s market

The Mets remain in contact with Scott Boras about free agent SS Stephen Drew, and their pursuing Drew similarly to their pursuit of Michael Bourn last winter, who’s market shrunk substantially towards Spring Training last winter (Carig, Dec. 29).

The Mets could opt to go with Ruben Tejada, who special assistant JP Ricciardi has said the team is comfortable with as their opening day shortstop (WEEI, Dec. 27).

Honestly, smart comments made by Ricciardi. Make it seem like they're sold on Tejada so it makes the market smaller for Drew, then when the time is right, swoop in and make an offer. Smart move.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets are still showing in Drew, just prefer him on a one or two-year deal.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets sign catcher Taylor Teagarden to minor-league deal

The Mets have signed catcher Taylor Teagarden to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.
Teagarden appeared in 23 games for the Orioles in 2013, hitting .167 with a .180 OBP and .480 OPS. He hit two home runs.
The former third-round pick is a career .206 hitter with a .266 OBP over 163 total games and 518 plate appearances at the major league level. He’s hit 20 home runs in the majors, playing for the Texas Rangers and Baltimore.
He spent time on the disabled list in 2012 due to lower-back injuries and only played 26 games between the minors and majors last season. He was designated for assignment by the Orioles on September 1, 2013.