• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Irvin among BreakOut candidate's

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"3) Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, Seattle Seahawks: This cat is a freak athlete. Irvin had eight sacks in his rookie year -- and he was still raw. With a full NFL season under his belt, this Seattle pass rusher will become one of the elite sack artists and disruptive forces in the game."

Trent Richardson, Delanie Walker among breakout candidates - NFL.com

Last year’s first-round draft pick Bruce Irvin, the 6-foot-3, 248-pound defensive end out of West Virginia, could be slated for a breakout year, writes NFL.com columnist Adam Schein.

Draft analysts questioned the pick of the unrefined pass rusher a year ago, but head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider saw the upside in his tremendous athletic ability and physical makeup.
“I just need a great group of people around me and need to get around a great group of pros who are going to show me how to be a pro on and off the field and I think I’ll be all right,” Irvin said the day he was drafted with the 15th overall pick in 2012.

Despite seeing limited snaps as a situational pass rusher a season ago, Irvin led all rookies with 8.0 sacks, recorded 19 quarterback hits and forced a fumble. In 2013 he’ll be joined at the line of scrimmage by newcomers Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, who combined for 18.5 sacks last season and could help create more space for Irvin to get after the quarterback.

On Irvin, Schein writes: “This cat is a freak athlete. Irvin had eight sacks in his rookie year — and he was still raw. With a full NFL season under his belt, this Seattle pass rusher will become one of the elite sack artists and disruptive forces in the game.”

Also appearing on Schein’s list of breakout candidates for 2013 are Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson, St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins, Tennessee Titans tight end Delanie Walker, New York Giants running back David Wilson, Baltimore Ravens offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele, Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, San Diego Chargers wide receiver Vincent Brown, and Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley.

Seahawks.com Blog | Bruce Irvin among NFL.com?s breakout candidates for 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the additions made on the DL and Irvin having a year under his belt, it makes a lot of sense that he could "break out" this year and be a monster in the pass rush. Should be fun to watch this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard he may play the spinner position, where he gets to move around and cause havoc. Damn I'm looking forward to seeing what Pete does with all these play makers on defense. With all the unique talent the Seahawks have on both defense and offense, I just cann't wait to see these guys play.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait either, but I my age I don't want time to pass too quickly.:think:
Patience is a virtue...I think.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still holding out hope for Irvin but it is worth noting how terrible he was against the Falcons in the playoffs.

He still needs a lot of work on technique but I can understand the author's optimism about the possibility of him breaking out.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still holding out hope for Irvin but it is worth noting how terrible he was against the Falcons in the playoffs.

He still needs a lot of work on technique but I can understand the author's optimism about the possibility of him breaking out.

Yeah he was terrible in the Falcons game, but so was everyone else on that defensive line. He was pretty much our only pass rushing threat on the field in that game and the Falcons knew it. He was playing a different position from the one he'd been playing all year, with different responsibilities and seeing more playing time than he had seen in any game all season, including being in there against the run quite a bit. He's not going to use any of those things as an excuse for his play in that game and I'm not bringing them up to make excuses for him, but there aren't going to be too many players who, as rookies, are going to have much success under those circumstances and it shouldn't be a surprise that he didn't have any.