• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

iPhone 6

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger phones are for women (and I guess men) who carry a purse. Otherwise it would be a pain in the ass unless you're some slouch with baggy and/or cargo pants.

That is going to be my only issue. I carry my phone in my front pocket. I already go without a case, because they make it too bulky and difficult to get out of my pocket.

So 4.7" may be the one I go with. I'll have to hold them before I know, though.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is going to be my only issue. I carry my phone in my front pocket. I already go without a case, because they make it too bulky and difficult to get out of my pocket.

So 4.7" may be the one I go with. I'll have to hold them before I know, though.

I have the Note 2. I initially went big because of my eyes.

I was already putting my phone in my back pocket and the note fits fine.
You just have to take it out when you sit and that was what I was already doing.

And this phone killed my tablet. I had one always by the couch and this thing just made the tablet obsolete.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger phones are for women (and I guess men) who carry a purse. Otherwise it would be a pain in the ass unless you're some slouch with baggy and/or cargo pants.

I forgot how sensitive some apple guys are ...here listen to Forbes.

But Apple is taking steps to reverse this market share slippage. Re/Code reported that on September 9 Apple is expected to launch “two large-screen iPhones, one with a 4.7-inch display and another with a 5.5-inch display, according to people familiar with the matter. [Apple] is asking suppliers to manufacture between 70 million and 80 million units combined of the new iPhones — which are larger than the current models with a display measuring 4-inches diagonally.”

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Note 2. I initially went big because of my eyes.

I was already putting my phone in my back pocket and the note fits fine.
You just have to take it out when you sit and that was what I was already doing.
I don't like having too much stuff in my pockets, regardless of whether it fits. What's the point of tailoring if you're going to ruin the look of your pants anyway?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing short of foolish "we are apple we set the trends" pride kept apple from making a bigger phone at least 2 years ago.

They absolutely got their clocks cleaned by not going big sooner and that's why they are doing it now.

Until recently I've been more than happy to have a smaller phone that runs faster. Now I want my cake and to eat it to, so I'll get the larger iPhone6 that is still about a year ahead of anything any Android running phone has. :suds:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for the rumored watch?

Swift is pretty cool as well.

Handoff (and the Google equivalent) are going to start pushing for more and more system lock-in.

What is the point of a watch if a cell phone (which everyone carries with them) tells the time? The smart watches are just dumb.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until recently I've been more than happy to have a smaller phone that runs faster. Now I want my cake and to eat it to, so I'll get the larger iPhone6 that is still about a year ahead of anything any Android running phone has. :suds:

I wonder why Apple keeps deciding to go with the elongated display. I liked the size of the 4s when I had it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the point of a watch if a cell phone (which everyone carries with them) tells the time? The smart watches are just dumb.

I'm not too excited about the watch, but will keep an open mind about it. If all it can do is read me texts without reachign in my pocket, or snap a low resolution photo, or something simple like that...not wasting my money. Plus seems I'd have to take it off and recharge it every night. What a whip.

But if they can make the watch that replaces a FitBit and does some other stuff, it might make more sense. I just have to see what they can make it do. Unlimited faces and texting doesn't move the needle for me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why Apple keeps deciding to go with the elongated display. I liked the size of the 4s when I had it.

"one hand use". They say they want a user to be able to reach the entire screen with their thumb while holding it one handed. Those days are about to be over, I think.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"one hand use". They say they want a user to be able to reach the entire screen with their thumb while holding it one handed. Those days are about to be over, I think.

I'm not sure about that. I don't really have any hate for Apple but I switched to the S5 a few months ago (just to change things up) and I have no problem with one hand use. The S5's screen is a bit larger in both width and length compared to the 5s (the width being much more noticeable). The main difference that I've noticed is that it's much easier to see while browsing but pretty much everything else is a bit negligible.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too excited about the watch, but will keep an open mind about it. If all it can do is read me texts without reaching in my pocket, or snap a low resolution photo, or something simple like that...not wasting my money. Plus seems I'd have to take it off and recharge it every night. What a whip.

But if they can make the watch that replaces a FitBit and does some other stuff, it might make more sense. I just have to see what they can make it do. Unlimited faces and texting doesn't move the needle for me.

To be honest a camera on that is a little ridiculous since the best you can really do with that kind of an angle is a selfie with some sort of accuracy. The FitBits are a little intriguing for tracking health stuff because of how they can monitor sleep patterns and heart rate but the price tag is still a bit high. It kind of takes care of the task of recording everything for you.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure about that. I don't really have any hate for Apple but I switched to the S5 a few months ago (just to change things up) and I have no problem with one hand use. The S5's screen is a bit larger in both width and length compared to the 5s (the width being much more noticeable). The main difference that I've noticed is that it's much easier to see while browsing but pretty much everything else is a bit negligible.

I have an S5 after using an iPhone.

I like the Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have an S5 after using an iPhone.

I like the Samsung.

I like it to be honest. At first I was hesitant about the size being so much larger but it hasn't been a problem.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't use that feature very much, but it's neat.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no point to a "smart watch" if you have a smartphone. That's why a lot of analysts doubt whether they'll catch on outside of the nerd community.

The point of a (real, mechanical) watch is that it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

No smart watch will ever be as impressive as this:

als_1815_mvt_xl.jpg

A.-Lange-1815-Ref-235-White-Gold-Watch.jpg

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no point to a "smart watch" if you have a smartphone. That's why a lot of analysts doubt whether they'll catch on outside of the nerd community.

The point of a (real, mechanical) watch is that it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

No smart watch will ever be as impressive as this:

als_1815_mvt_xl.jpg

A.-Lange-1815-Ref-235-White-Gold-Watch.jpg

To me without the function part of it, it's just jewelry.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me without the function part of it, it's just jewelry.
Yup.

They are functional of course, even if that function can be closely approximated by another device. Although I can wear my watch in the water, but not my phone. :)

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i scoffed at an i-watch at first as well. if it's JUST an extension of the phone, with texts or notifications or a microphone, then count me out and I'll laugh all day at it.
the intriguing part is the HealthKit integration potential and fact that Apple has been hiring fashion designer executives. Apple isn't going to release a geeky accessory - that's where Android plays. If a watch can replace a Fitbit, look nice, and integrate with my phone? There is potential there...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i scoffed at an i-watch at first as well. if it's JUST an extension of the phone, with texts or notifications or a microphone, then count me out and I'll laugh all day at it.
the intriguing part is the HealthKit integration potential and fact that Apple has been hiring fashion designer executives. Apple isn't going to release a geeky accessory - that's where Android plays. If a watch can replace a Fitbit, look nice, and integrate with my phone? There is potential there...

Exactly. I'm very interested in the whole healthkit thing. I haven't heard anymore about it, but a few months ago people were talking about a tool you can pre-order and it would ship later this year. It was a little box that had 4 cartridges. The box hooked to your phone and each cartridge had a replaceable strip inside it and each could test something different. Can't remember them all, but they could be used with a blood sample to tell you blood sugar, certain vitamin deficiencies, and I wanted to say one was for fertility testing.

I'll have to try to find it. They were offering half off on the intro sale, but that was still like $199. If it gets good reviews and works, looks like it might expand, I'll buy one. I'm a nerd about things like that. It's why if fitbit or something else (like the watch) can do things like monitor heart rate and blood pressure as well, I'd be all about it.