• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iowa State Game

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*What a pile of shit. We got up by 10 points and decided that we didn't need to do anything else??

*Tackling.

*McNutt was only targeted 6 times.

*Tackling.

*There is no reason for Coker to have 38 carries against anyone, let alone Iowa St. If this keeps up, he'll be done by November. They need to play some of these freshman RB's and see what happens.

*Tackling.

*1m17s left and our first play is a dive??? Then they go no huddle and get flagged for a false start?? Ferentz said that if they would have gotten more yards on 1st down, they would have tried for a score. DO IT ANYWAY! If you don't make it, at least you tried. If I remember correctly, the last time we played it safe on the road and went into OT, we lost to Ohio St. Mobile QB's have an advantage with a shortened field. Don't let it happen.

*Tackling.

*McNutt and Davis are 5"-6" taller than their CB's. Exploit that.

Hopefully this game wakes them up. If it doesn't, it's going to be a long year.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6135148062_609e9e4662_z.jpg

***Found this on Hawkeye Lounge***

Goothrey

Savor the Flavor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2 missed field goals and coughing it up twice inside the 10 yard line. Shouldn't have gone into overtime, but great game.

BrawlinHawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
*What a pile of shit. We got up by 10 points and decided that we didn't need to do anything else??

*Tackling.

*McNutt was only targeted 6 times.

*Tackling.

*There is no reason for Coker to have 38 carries against anyone, let alone Iowa St. If this keeps up, he'll be done by November. They need to play some of these freshman RB's and see what happens.

*Tackling.

*1m17s left and our first play is a dive??? Then they go no huddle and get flagged for a false start?? Ferentz said that if they would have gotten more yards on 1st down, they would have tried for a score. DO IT ANYWAY! If you don't make it, at least you tried. If I remember correctly, the last time we played it safe on the road and went into OT, we lost to Ohio St. Mobile QB's have an advantage with a shortened field. Don't let it happen.

*Tackling.

*McNutt and Davis are 5"-6" taller than their CB's. Exploit that.

Hopefully this game wakes them up. If it doesn't, it's going to be a long year.

It's the same crap every year. We get out coached by a lesser opponent. We get a lead we get very conservative and let teams hang around. The last thing you want to do is give lesser teams confidence. We are always in close games because the coaching staff sucks. 3 and outs are a good thing but apparently not in Iowa. How can you expect the defense to stop teams late in the game when they are gassed from being out on the field the whole time. I have said it for over 10 years, Ferentz is a horrible gameday coach. He gets paid too much money to lose to Iowa St., Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, and this one is a real joke Western Michigan at home with a bowl game on the line. The only year I can remember we didn't get beat by a lesser opponent is the year we lost to Arizona St. on the road and the next week at Michigan. One year out of 13.

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey guys new Hawk fan here. I already like it better over reading ESPN figured I'd contribute my thoughts a little bit.

Watching that ISU game was INCREDIBLY frustrating. Sure it was a good game to watch but absolutely not if you are a Hawkeye fan... Iowa got completely out played for 3/4ths of that game and they still should of won in the end. This to me shows that the Hawks will make life miserable for other big10 teams this year despite the poor showing. With that being said onto my complaints..

My only critique on Ferentz was that 4th and 1 toward the end of the game. Yes, he probably should of done something with that minute and 20 seconds but Vandenberg was playing like complete shit so I can't really blame him. I feel like Coker easily picks that up with the dive. He always got a couple with that all game it seemed like. If the Hawks get that first down I think they score and the game ends on that drive. If they get the first but don't score it still takes time off the clock :\ Well worth the risk especially where they were on the field in my opinion.

Onto Vandenberg.. I was so disappointed with the way he played :\ Every time they showed him when things started going south he had this look about him that was unsettling to me. Almost like he was panicking and just couldn't get himself under control. I just thought it was weird because he never once had that playing at tOSU in the biggest game of the year on the road. Maybe it was just too big for him to understand idk. Perhaps, being from here the game just got in his head or something. I just thought it was weird because he had never showed anything like this before.

Coker is next... Aside from all the fumbles I feel like he's lost a step this year. It's almost like he's thinking too much about running the football vs. running his natural smash mouth mentality. I guess they want to make him as complete as possible and I understand but it just seems like it's hurting him more than it's helping him right now :\

I'm kind of curious how short Vandenberg's leash is too. He's only had 4 starts ya know? I don't expect anything yet but I do think if it continues and went to a QB battle Derby would have a pretty good shot because he's setup better for the college game imo. I'm going to drop this here though because I think that was a fluke from Vandenberg and I don't think he deserves to be thrown under the bus. I see too much upside in him to see another performance like that but who knows.

With that said, his poor performance didn't bother me nearly as much as Ken O'keefe did and usually always does. The Hawks secondary looked lost at times but Ken O'keefe's play calling tops even that imo. Plus they are very inexperienced so I'm not going to be too hard on them yet. Anyway O'keefe's predictability and lack of creativeness sticks out when things go badly. Last year... That offense should of been 2nd best in the big10 behind Wisconsin despite the o-line being young and not the greatest for a Hawkeye team. He just put a HUGE damper on the offense with his offensive mindset. This year, I really feel like this offense can at least give anyone problems on the schedule but again.. It's the same situation as last year to me. He loves running off the tackles even when it fails all game. I get it.. The Hawks are a run first offense and that's the bread and butter for it to open up play action. Seriously though, how long are you going to keep running the same plays to the right or left before you change it up. Waiting until the last 4 minutes of a game is just ridiculous. Imo his lack of depth sticks out like a sore thumb when his go to plays are getting stopped all game. I think the most creative play he runs is a reverse and it's almost like it's desperation when he runs it.. which is the worst possible time to run something like that and it's not even creative!

I'm pretty sure I could type a 10 page paper on why I think this guy should be demoted to just recruiting for the Hawkeyes but I'll leave that for now =)

Anyway, massive wall of text for my first post. It's nice to be here to discuss Hawkeye football with some other Hawkeye fans and I hope they play better against Pitt.

Later fellas.

BrawlinHawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey guys new Hawk fan here. I already like it better over reading ESPN figured I'd contribute my thoughts a little bit.

Watching that ISU game was INCREDIBLY frustrating. Sure it was a good game to watch but absolutely not if you are a Hawkeye fan... Iowa got completely out played for 3/4ths of that game and they still should of won in the end. This to me shows that the Hawks will make life miserable for other big10 teams this year despite the poor showing. With that being said onto my complaints..

My only critique on Ferentz was that 4th and 1 toward the end of the game. Yes, he probably should of done something with that minute and 20 seconds but Vandenberg was playing like complete shit so I can't really blame him. I feel like Coker easily picks that up with the dive. He always got a couple with that all game it seemed like. If the Hawks get that first down I think they score and the game ends on that drive. If they get the first but don't score it still takes time off the clock :\ Well worth the risk especially where they were on the field in my opinion.

Onto Vandenberg.. I was so disappointed with the way he played :\ Every time they showed him when things started going south he had this look about him that was unsettling to me. Almost like he was panicking and just couldn't get himself under control. I just thought it was weird because he never once had that playing at tOSU in the biggest game of the year on the road. Maybe it was just too big for him to understand idk. Perhaps, being from here the game just got in his head or something. I just thought it was weird because he had never showed anything like this before.

Coker is next... Aside from all the fumbles I feel like he's lost a step this year. It's almost like he's thinking too much about running the football vs. running his natural smash mouth mentality. I guess they want to make him as complete as possible and I understand but it just seems like it's hurting him more than it's helping him right now :\

I'm kind of curious how short Vandenberg's leash is too. He's only had 4 starts ya know? I don't expect anything yet but I do think if it continues and went to a QB battle Derby would have a pretty good shot because he's setup better for the college game imo. I'm going to drop this here though because I think that was a fluke from Vandenberg and I don't think he deserves to be thrown under the bus. I see too much upside in him to see another performance like that but who knows.

With that said, his poor performance didn't bother me nearly as much as Ken O'keefe did and usually always does. The Hawks secondary looked lost at times but Ken O'keefe's play calling tops even that imo. Plus they are very inexperienced so I'm not going to be too hard on them yet. Anyway O'keefe's predictability and lack of creativeness sticks out when things go badly. Last year... That offense should of been 2nd best in the big10 behind Wisconsin despite the o-line being young and not the greatest for a Hawkeye team. He just put a HUGE damper on the offense with his offensive mindset. This year, I really feel like this offense can at least give anyone problems on the schedule but again.. It's the same situation as last year to me. He loves running off the tackles even when it fails all game. I get it.. The Hawks are a run first offense and that's the bread and butter for it to open up play action. Seriously though, how long are you going to keep running the same plays to the right or left before you change it up. Waiting until the last 4 minutes of a game is just ridiculous. Imo his lack of depth sticks out like a sore thumb when his go to plays are getting stopped all game. I think the most creative play he runs is a reverse and it's almost like it's desperation when he runs it.. which is the worst possible time to run something like that and it's not even creative!

I'm pretty sure I could type a 10 page paper on why I think this guy should be demoted to just recruiting for the Hawkeyes but I'll leave that for now =)

Anyway, massive wall of text for my first post. It's nice to be here to discuss Hawkeye football with some other Hawkeye fans and I hope they play better against Pitt.

Later fellas.

I don't think we were watching the same game. There is nothing wrong with Vandenberg. I saw dropped passes and some bad throws sure, but how much of that was Vandy throwing the ball away because there was nothing there and he didn't want to take a sack. There was a couple bad throws by Vandy that looked really bad but I also saw had they been normal throws they more than likely would have been picked off. The coaching staff sucks. They seem to be okay with being mediocre. I say take the chains off of our players and let them be great. Ferentz and company have a lons sorry history of losing to lesser opponents. That's what playing conservative does. You can't ever let bad teams hang around, they will beat you damn near every time.