• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Question..

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we had burleson for more than the what, 5 games he played this year? there might be something to the argument that stafford needs elite talent around to be good. with that said burleson is not even a top 10 #2 WR and like was said before after him we had a bunch of slot guys trying to go deep.

so to answer the question: no stafford does not need an elite #2 WR to be good; he rebounded from last year/was pretty good this year basically without a #2. if we want an elite offense that lets calvin see the light of day every once in a while and makes the league fear our entire team rather than just calvin and suh then yeah we need a legit almost #1/elite #2 WR.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford has the best wide receiver in the late, but we usually lose when he has to force it to him. Although I like our wide receivers not one of them should be a number two. I also think that Linehan didn't help. With the emergence of Bell we should have seen Bush used more are receiver not just line up there.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, Reggie had the highest drop % in the league for guys with > 40 targets, so not only did he have trouble holding onto the ball once he had it in his hands he had trouble catching it. The guy just has bad hands.

K

kengel6

Titus will be getting optioned from his new contract, California Correctional, by 2026. Maybe weekend work release might be an the Lions future?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Petigrew for me Unless it's for pennies. No Dickerson either. I'd Rather draft one.

Me too. I am a BP hater. The guy does make plays here and there but almost never when it matters. When the games on the line it seems he folds and the way we've played the last 3 years every game is a close one.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, Reggie had the highest drop % in the league for guys with > 40 targets, so not only did he have trouble holding onto the ball once he had it in his hands he had trouble catching it. The guy just has bad hands.

Truth.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id keep BP. He had a lower drop rate than almost receiving option on the roster. And can block. Then of course there's the money. Always with the money. First he changes numbers, then breaks franchise receiving records, then he wants a contract. Money. Dirty, greasy, slimy money. That's what BPs got in his pockets. Id keep him, if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins could eliminate a variable. That's always good. But there are options, lots of em. Worked out great that the Viks won the last game at the MetroDome.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins at #10 is a no brainer. The problem is that he'll be gone, more than likely. There are plenty of WR's available in the 2nd thru 4th rounds that could greatly improve this offense. Watkins is just light years ahead of the rest, including Mike Evans (horrible route runner, won't get away with his college shit in the NFL, actually cover wr's better) or Lee (pettipoops in the wr version) or Kelvin Benjamin.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO to Pettidrops and Dickerson. Burly needs to renegotiate and accept 2.5 mil base with a 700k signing bonus (7.5 mil cap hit this coming year), Durham (a FA) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWAY, Ross should get a look at re-signing, Ogletree meh .. Broyles coming off ACL, ACL, Ruptured Achilles, you can forget about him until November if not missing all 2014.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a WR is always getting hit either as he catches the ball or right after and rarely gets a chance to run a few steps before contact, it causes him to start doing too much. He will start trying to make a move before securing the ball and that leads to drops.

When the WRs are always covered and rarely wide open, it makes life hard for a QB. When he has to wait too long for a play to develop and the WRs never come open, he starts feeling the pass rush more. When these things happen too much, he starts feeling a pass rush when there isnt any. He starts firing the ball to hard even on short routes. He starts throwing the ball too soon, causing his down field passes to be over thrown because he didnt allow the WR enough time to get down field. When all of this is happening, it can lead a QB into trying to force throws that he normally would not throw.

I think these are the problems with the Lions WRs and Stafford. I see WRs catch the ball for other teams with nobody inside of five yards of them all the time. Other teams WRs seem to have opportunities to run a few paces before facing contact. The Lions rarely do. They are almost always getting hit as soon as they make the catch. As great as Calvin is, the same happens to him. I think a better scheme and a true #2 WR, would fix both the dropped pass problem as well as the problems Stafford is having. It would allow him to feel more comfortable in the pocket because he can get rid of the ball quicker more often. Add a FB and it would help pick up blitzes, allowing Stafford some comfort and he would be able to slip out and be that quick out when Stafford is in trouble so he isnt throwing the ball five yards into coverage or throwing it away. Extra time, a quick out, and a WR who draws coverage and opens things up more often would make a huge difference to Stafford.

With that said, I dont want them to draft a WR in the first round. The Lions absolutely need a #2 WR. What they do not need is a second #1 WR. It is rare that a team can field two #1 WRs together. Most teams that seem to have two #1's actually dont. The #2 just seems like a #1 because he isnt facing the #1 CB all of the time. Add a #1 WR across for Johnson and it will likely only last a year or two before he wants the ball more because he wants to be the #1. Likely he leaves in FA the first chance he gets and you ended up drafting a guy in the first round to develop him in his first contract to lose him to another team when he is great. Take an OLB or Safety in the first, then take a WR in the 2nd round. Ignoring the past failures in 2nd round WRs, I think Xanders will do it right. Then take a Center to bring along to replace Raiola in the next year or two when he retires or stops working out.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K.J. Ester...... That is a great analysis IMO. I do believe we need a #2 WR and one that has the potential to supplant Calvin, in the not too distant future. I think all too often people/fans get too caught up in "Megatron's" ability or that he'll play forever or even all 16 games every year. We all saw what happened in the GB game and now it's 2 years running with knee issues. Outside of taking Watkins at #10 overall (He'd be BPA) this is where Mayhew needs to be smart and trade down not once but twice in the 1st round garnering additional 2nd/3rd rd. picks. Depending on the HC/OC/DC hired, we still need a few starters including WR, S, DE, OLB or DT-NT... I do not see any value at #10 for Safety (Clinton-Dix) or OLB (unless Mack/Barr). A 2nd/3rd rd. WR should be more than adequate as a #2 WR. Center's can be drafted in 4th thru 6th rd and developed like you stated for a year or two. Your analysis on Stafford is fairly on point so long as his mental awareness/mechanics improve and a lot of that can be contributed to scheme.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins at #10 is a no brainer. The problem is that he'll be gone, more than likely. There are plenty of WR's available in the 2nd thru 4th rounds that could greatly improve this offense. Watkins is just light years ahead of the rest, including Mike Evans (horrible route runner, won't get away with his college shit in the NFL, actually cover wr's better) or Lee (pettipoops in the wr version) or Kelvin Benjamin.

Woah, woah, woah.... are you sayin' Lee can handle an OLB in the run game, or that his hands are an issue in the receiving game?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely deserved the "whoa" on my comment regarding, "Lee is pettipoops in the wr version". I was referring to Lee's hands issues in the receiving game. Lee is an above average route runner, has some explosion after the catch but in traffic, he has dropped quite a few easy catchable balls this past year. The knee issues he dealt with are a concern of mine also..

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If dennard is there at 10, the lions should take him....in a division where the bears have jeffery and marshall, and then you have rodgers and the pack, we need good CB's.....

Also this draft will be so deep at WR, i think we could grab one in the 2nd round....i wouldnt complain if we got sammie though....i just believe we need DB's.....sick of seeing DB's get hurt and we get stuck with shit on the corners.....time to fill in the need on the defense so we can close games out in the 4th QTR...how many times do teams pass right down the field when they need to? Games we usually won is because of the pressure the DL got and didnt give the QB a chance to find someone running wide open 40 yds down field.

Plus dennard likes to tackle.....the only problem? The last time i wanted the lions to grab a sparty this bad it didnt work out to well...charlie rogers anyone?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely deserved the "whoa" on my comment regarding, "Lee is pettipoops in the wr version". I was referring to Lee's hands issues in the receiving game. Lee is an above average route runner, has some explosion after the catch but in traffic, he has dropped quite a few easy catchable balls this past year. The knee issues he dealt with are a concern of mine also..

Lee has hand issues!?! Well, now, that absolutely stuns me to hear such a thing. Im floored right now.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marquiselee.jpg

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee has hand issues!?! Well, now, that absolutely stuns me to hear such a thing. Im floored right now.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
I didn't realize I needed to make you aware this...:noidea:....Obviously so ! I guess you haven't been payin' attention....:suds:.....gotta love the Sarcasm though

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_____________________________________________________________________________________
I didn't realize I needed to make you aware this...:noidea:....Obviously so ! I guess you haven't been payin' attention....:suds:.....gotta love the Sarcasm though

The more you can expand on your opinion of Lee, the better. The board could use a new opinion on the subject. (Billy Bean up there might only be interested in Type B FAs, Cubans and losing playoff series, but the more we know about the most overrated CFB player coming into the 2013 season the better.)