• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Question..

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think Stafford needs two elite WRs to succeed and that his entire core was actually pretty good aside from Calvin? Or do you think everyone else but Calvin was dogshit? I think it's hard to tell.. But people are thinking we need Sammy Watkins and will ignore some of the glaring holes on defense.. I like Watkins as much as the next person but I feel as though getting the defense built up further could help this team a great deal... I think it is an indictment on Stafford to know he essentially needs two number 1s to be successful.. There are a lot of other QBs in the league that have some mediocre to average receivers and seem to be doing fine..

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's both. He didn't have a good #2 and he has to improve.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the offense is fine, though another capable receiver would make it even better. I blame coaching, coaching, and coaching for the second-half offensive struggles - other teams adjusted and we couldn't counter-adjust.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. All Stafford needs is a piss poor OC to succeed. A good one would be better, but piss poor would be an improvement.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our WR's were not good. They led the league in drops. Bad passes by the QB don't count as drops. Those aren't on Stafford. I don't think Stafford needs 2 elite WR's to catch the ball to succeed but having the worst WR crew in football isnt the answer either.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he needs a good TE just like every other good QB in the NFL has.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any doubt in my mind that he can get back on track. To consider Stafford blameless is nieve. I'd love to see how many of his INT's came off of tipped balls Vs. errant throws. He will get back to that elite cusp IMO.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he needs a legit #2.

Jerry Rice - John Taylor
Lynn Swann - John Stallworth
Michael Irvin - Alvin Harper
Marvin Harrison - Reggie Wayne
Antonio Freeman - Robert Brooks
Etc, etc, etc.

All of these groupings won SuperBowls. In some cases more than one. Of course there is more needed than just a good WR pairing but the Lions have very similar make up to those teams already.

Would anyone put Calvin Johnson - Nate Burleson on that list? Hell no. How about Calvin Johnson - Kris Durham? Maybe Calvin Johnson - Ryan Broyles? Calvin Johnson - Kevin Ogletree? How about Calvin Johnson - Mike Thomas?

Our combinations are a joke compared to the groupings that won SuperBowls. It's a WR rich draft and Millenhew better find one that isnt a headcase or already injured this damn time. If the clown had a clue we wouldnt be needing to spend an early round pick on a WR. If Sammie Watkins is on the board he had darn better be the pick.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he needs a legit #2.

Jerry Rice - John Taylor
Lynn Swann - John Stallworth
Michael Irvin - Alvin Harper
Marvin Harrison - Reggie Wayne
Antonio Freeman - Robert Brooks
Etc, etc, etc.

All of these groupings won SuperBowls.

Does this prove they all had one then got a 2nd? I think this illustrates how a good 2nd WR was developed as the teams evolved rather than going out and finding a no.2 to complete the O like the situation the Lions are in. Also, different game today than it was then. I really think the TE is more important than the no.2 WR.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our TEs are fine...

Pettigrew is a good, balanced, "in-line" TE. Great blocker who is a better receiver than most blocking TEs. Given that he's not a star by any stretch he should be able to be re-signed for a moderate deal, imo.

Fauria was a revelation as a rookie. He's our pass-catching "joker" TE who can get down the seam with his size and create miss-matches with the defense. He definitely needs to work on his blocking, but he showed a whole lot of promise as a rookie.

We also can't forget about Michael Williams. He should be penciled in as our 3rd or 4th TE, depending on how many we keep. He's obviously a big, blocking type- basically an extra offensive lineman who can get up the field and block.

I'd honestly like to see Dorin Dickerson brought back to compete for a spot, too. He's more of an H-back type, but we need a guy who can line up in the backfield as a lead blocker, and his blazing speed for the position (4.4s at the combine) can make him a unique match-up problem if used correctly. Not a star player at all, but could be a good, versatile, role-player in the offense. Should be very cheap, too...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not to say I'm against drafting a top-flight TE prospect, though.

I love TEs, imo they're the most versatile players on the offensive side of the ball. I'd be fine with drafting another one, I just don't see it as a pressing need right now is all...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Stafford throws such an uncatchable ball, he will need very good WRs to have success. If he somehow develops some touch then he wont necessarily need them to be great.

A better number 2 is required. Durham and Burleson and Ogletree are backup caliber. Great guys to to fill in here and there, but not you "goto" guys.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I serviceable #2 is a must. Burleson, Durham, Ogletree, and Ross are not really #2 WRs. I like Ross and Ogletree but having a solid #2 that you can pencil in for 700-900 yards a season would be huge.

Every time CJ was banged up the Lions offense looked like piss in a bucket. Stafford needed a guy to count on and minus some decent series by the other WRs the Lions really got nothing from them as a group.

Pettigrew has become a side not and the staff really only utilized Fauria in the red zone. Maybe a better O C will get Fauria more integrated into the offense but a quality #2 is a must as CJ is only going to get more banged up going forward. I think he will have about the same health concerns as Andre Johnson has had in Houston IMO.

If the Lions use a high pick on a WR it would help but if the Lions bring in a guy to run the 3-4 defense then I doubt the Lions draft a WR but look for one in FA.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our TEs are fine...

Pettigrew is a good, balanced, "in-line" TE. Great blocker who is a better receiver than most blocking TEs. Given that he's not a star by any stretch he should be able to be re-signed for a moderate deal, imo.

Fauria was a revelation as a rookie. He's our pass-catching "joker" TE who can get down the seam with his size and create miss-matches with the defense. He definitely needs to work on his blocking, but he showed a whole lot of promise as a rookie.

We also can't forget about Michael Williams. He should be penciled in as our 3rd or 4th TE, depending on how many we keep. He's obviously a big, blocking type- basically an extra offensive lineman who can get up the field and block.

I'd honestly like to see Dorin Dickerson brought back to compete for a spot, too. He's more of an H-back type, but we need a guy who can line up in the backfield as a lead blocker, and his blazing speed for the position (4.4s at the combine) can make him a unique match-up problem if used correctly. Not a star player at all, but could be a good, versatile, role-player in the offense. Should be very cheap, too...

No Petigrew for me Unless it's for pennies. No Dickerson either. I'd Rather draft one.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this prove they all had one then got a 2nd? I think this illustrates how a good 2nd WR was developed as the teams evolved rather than going out and finding a no.2 to complete the O like the situation the Lions are in. Also, different game today than it was then. I really think the TE is more important than the no.2 WR.

Don't know how those teams got their #2 WR nor do I think its relevant. They each had that quality #2 guy and we don't. We've pretty much definitively proven an inability to develop a player so we will have to draft one. I think PAtrick Edwards, Titus Young, and Ryan Broyles speak pretty good to that point.

It is definitely a different game today, its far more of a passing league. Rules have also changed that are more advantagous to the WR since the league wants scoring. I think that is all the more reason supporting the need to get that quality #2, and to get him now.

I agree that a good TE is also important, but not more so than the #2 WR. It will be a lot easier to find a solid TE in FA or the later rounds of the draft than a quality #2 WR. Plus Fauria looks promising to stretch the field and I happen to think a good OC can make great use out of Dickenson's speed and versatility.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, unless pettigrew is cheap fuck that guy. He is a huge doofus on offense, always getting stripped, fumbling or dropping passes. Hes a good blocker but if the nfl had a plus minus or war his would be awful.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durham and burleson can be solid as third or fourth target but neither is suitable as a two.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming the new HC lets Pettigrew test FA. He's middle of the pack at best among the NFL, not worth resigning and teaching a new O imo. Get your own guy instead of trying to stick a square peg into a round hole.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a better #2. I thought Broyles might be that guy but he can't stay on the field. Burleson is done. The others are all #4s. Our TEs are good enough. There were a lot of drops... too many, but I have to wonder how many were due to the fact he throws everything 90 mph. You can say that pro receivers should catch those but real life ain't like that.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all depends on who becomes the HC/OC and how they utilize the TE. I stated in here, 3 days ago, that Michael Williams (rookie out of Bama) is just as good at blocking and has far better hands than Pettipoops. He broke his hand in training camp then placed on IR. Fauria will need to be used more often lining up outside or in the slot. As far as this years TE's in the draft, it is pretty thin, as there are only 3 worthy of drafting. They will most likely be gone before our 2nd round pick, NC- Eric Ebron (drops the wide open easy catches, remind you of anyone, and is not a blocker), Tex Tech- Jace Amaro (a good route runner with above average hands and can use his big body, 6-5 260, for seams and creases, explosive after the catch), Wash- Austin Seferrian - Jenkins ( a better Pettipoops who blocks and catches very well).

We definitely need a True #2 WR to help out CJ, take away some coverage from him.