• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In retrospect, the Romo extension was a long term mistake

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haynesworth and moss were given second chances. They behaved here.

No one knew shit about Hernandez until he got arrested. Don't waste time with that bullshit.

Welker was never about money. He acted up repeatedly in New England and made it clear he would not accept any role other than number one receiver, a role that having Welker in severely limits the options of an offense. Regardless of public perception, I begged them to turn him down even if he would have made a mil a year. He didn't belong.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching ANOTHER.....8-8 season, with Romo going in for back surgery, and turning 34 as his extension BEGINS, there's no question now that the move was not a good one for the teams future. Sure the team had injuries again, but after 3 years, 8-8 is who we are. I realize if Orton had been the QB this year, we would have only won 3-4 games, and it would have sucked. But Romo would be on the books for $0.00 instead of $20 million next year. If we had traded Romo, we would have had 1 or maybe 2 more draft picks contributing now. And while this season would have sucked, picking 3rd or 4th and landing either Bridgewater, Johnny Football or Bortles wouldn't. And we could still go S and DL at the top of the 2nd and 3rd. And with the team going in with a rookie QB, there would be NO thoughts of keeping Austin, Ware, Hatcher or Spencer. The club would be in great shape with the cap in a couple of years, even after resigning TSmith, Dez and Murray to extensions. With a younger roster, and the ability to sign FA's, this club would have been in much better shape for the next 10 years. Now, I have no doubt that Romo will play great again next year, but with what we are losing, 8-8 seems pretty realistic even with him back there. And we are in cap Hell for a while.

Dropping Romo, Austin, Ware, Hatcher, and Spencer are a lot of talented guys that would need replacing if Dallas went in this direction.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the money in Romo's last 4 years is guaranteed. Since it isn't guaranteed it doesn't matter whether it's 7 years or 77 years. It's just a mechanism for putting back the cap hit. I won't be surprised if Romo signs an extension rather than just a salary conversion before the new season.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't be surprised if Romo signs an extension rather than just a salary conversion before the new season.

Nate someone is trying to steal your crown

You gonna have to work real hard to make a dumber statement than this

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dropping Romo, Austin, Ware, Hatcher, and Spencer are a lot of talented guys that would need replacing if Dallas went in this direction.

Romo's cap hit prohibits him from being dropped. Can't drop Hatcher and Spencer since they are not under contract for the 2014 season

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you just figured out this was a mistake :L

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We forgive pasts elsewhere. You don't pull shit here and expect to stay here.

Spy gate is laughable.

We pay our players. We spend to the cap every year. We just don't overpay single guys who don't deserve it.

Then why is Gronk still on your team? He didn't talk about a foot fetish, but how about all the other drama and BS that was brought on with pictures of porb stars en sech?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 12-4 with a first round bye despite three all pros on IR. I'll take that.

He drew attention to himself with shit like the Rex Ryan foot comments, when it has always been clear that making comments resembling this in any way are unacceptable here.

He also is simply not a number one receiver, and made it very clear he would not be willing to accept less than that here.

Not a #1 on most teams I'd agree, but on the pats he was in the in the#1 discussion.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did he do wrong, exactly? He's fucking a ****star and had paparazzi harass him while he did what most players do and had some fun.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge error on the Pats part to think they could replace Welker who got a 2 year $12M contract with Amendola who got a much bigger contract. It's like they bought the media hype that they are both small and white and play in the slot so they must be the same. But Amendola is no Welker. Welker plays much quicker. I bet Peyton is glad that they made that choice though. Simple fact is the Pats player personnel decisions have not been very good for a while now. They used to pull guys off the scrap heap and come up with diamonds. Now they seem to come up with a pile of crap. Once Brady goes the Pats will go in the toilet.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why is Gronk still on your team? He didn't talk about a foot fetish, but how about all the other drama and BS that was brought on with pictures of porb stars en sech?

Wait until he wants top TE money. Then he won't be Patriot material. JDM is a true New England sports fan. Guy there are the greatest, after they leave they are the scum of the earth.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a #1 on most teams I'd agree, but on the pats he was in the in the#1 discussion.

He was our best receiver, but he was unwilling to accept the fact that in order for us to remain a contender now and into the future, he couldn't get 200 targets a year. We had struggles offensively this year, sure, but the targets the young receivers got needed to happen, and would have needed to happen even if Welker was here. That's how you learn this offense/chemistry with Brady. With real reps.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait until he wants top TE money. Then he won't be Patriot material. JDM is a true New England sports fan. Guy there are the greatest, after they leave they are the scum of the earth.

I was begging Welker to be gone three years ago. An offense built around him is not a championship offense.

Gronk will get paid because he deserves to.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did he do wrong, exactly? He's fucking a ****star and had paparazzi harass him while he did what most players do and had some fun.

What did Wes do "wrong"? He got media attention that was unwanted. Exactly what Gronk did.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was our best receiver, but he was unwilling to accept the fact that in order for us to remain a contender now and into the future, he couldn't get 200 targets a year. We had struggles offensively this year, sure, but the targets the young receivers got needed to happen, and would have needed to happen even if Welker was here. That's how you learn this offense/chemistry with Brady. With real reps.

And I thought Redskin fans were delusional:L

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge error on the Pats part to think they could replace Welker who got a 2 year $12M contract with Amendola who got a much bigger contract. It's like they bought the media hype that they are both small and white and play in the slot so they must be the same. But Amendola is no Welker. Welker plays much quicker. I bet Peyton is glad that they made that choice though. Simple fact is the Pats player personnel decisions have not been very good for a while now. They used to pull guys off the scrap heap and come up with diamonds. Now they seem to come up with a pile of crap. Once Brady goes the Pats will go in the toilet.

Amendola was never a replacement for Welker. Edelman took his role as the possession guy and did extremely well with it.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Wes do "wrong"? He got media attention that was unwanted. Exactly what Gronk did.

He demanded $$$$ he thought he deserved. Funny thing is I believe the Pats gave Danny the money Welker was asking for.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He deliberately went against the patriots policies with regards to handling press conferences. That's not the same as someone following you around and harassing the shit out of you. Banging **** stars doesn't give an opponent bulletin board material. At least not the same kind. :thumb:

Regardless, the issue was as much that his on the field performance didn't justify being the primary option and he was unwilling to reduce that.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amendola was never a replacement for Welker. Edelman took his role as the possession guy and did extremely well with it.

Danny WAS the replacement but he was hurt too much to secure the job. Keep talking, you're sounding desperate.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate someone is trying to steal your crown

You gonna have to work real hard to make a dumber statement than this
Really? Care to explain how signing a non-guaranteed extension that the Cowboys could rescind at any time without cost that would move the dead money back would hurt? I'll answer for you - it doesn't!