• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In retrospect, the Romo extension was a long term mistake

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Haynesworth and moss were given second chances. They behaved here.

No one knew shit about Hernandez until he got arrested. Don't waste time with that bullshit.

Welker was never about money. He acted up repeatedly in New England and made it clear he would not accept any role other than number one receiver, a role that having Welker in severely limits the options of an offense. Regardless of public perception, I begged them to turn him down even if he would have made a mil a year. He didn't belong.
Still have not won a SuperBowl in the post Belicheat era.....perhaps you take home your first legit one this year.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
All correct, not to mention if the Cowboys tried to let Romo go early, while they wouldn't have to pay his base salary, the remainder of his signing bonus hit would accelerate, and instead of being spread over 6 years, it would all come due at once. Considering we have to restructure Romo now and convert base salary into signing bonus to create room this year, the accelerated number in the future is only going to go up. The thought that the Cowboys could just part ways with Romo anytime in the next 3-4 years is absurd considering they are over the cap. They signed the 6 year deal for the expressed reason of redoing it every two years to create cap space and keep Romo
Thanks Jerrah....:doh::L:bawling:

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I can agree the Cowboys were forced to give Romo that deal but they made their own bed. While the past contracts you mention did put us where we are today the mass restructuring of other contracts last season is the bigger culprit. I was on board letting all the 30+ year Olds play out their contracts. When Jerry redid a lot of other contracts he made it so he had to resign Romo. I just wish people will stop crying about yesterday and bring an intelligent conversation about tomorrow.
Should have franchised Romo two years in a row...but we lost that possibility by being in cap hell.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have franchised Romo two years in a row...but we lost that possibility by being in cap hell.

They never really had the option. If they had not franchised him, and reduced the amount of his cap hit last year, they wouldn't have been able to operate under the cap

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Orton, we are a 5-8 win team, but not easily where we would be with Romo now. With Romo, we are at least 8 wins with the possibility of winning double digit games. My point was that we are not a three or four-win team without Romo. That was already proven in 2010, albeit a small sample size. Players around the quarterback tend to rise to the occasion when there is average quarterback play, like you saw in the season finale.

If you are gonna throw 100 million down the toilet, at least it be for a capable quarterback. The Austin, Ratliff, Roy Williams, Doug Free, Marion Barber moves were far worse for this franchise because those contracts led to the mess we are in today. The mess that gave Romo all the leverage to sign for 100 million dollars at the age of 33.

Whether we like it or not, the Cowboys were forced to give Romo that contract if they wanted to compete for playoffs. They gave him all the leverage because they made other bad financial investments that limited their ability to make any other moves. So paying him 8 figures was the only way to go if the goal is to compete for championships whether we like it or not.

However, I do agree in a sense that giving him the extension might not have been the most prudent move. Even at the time I did not like the extension, but given the mess we were already in financially, there weren't many alternatives. But instead of chastising this move along with the rest of the critics in the media, try seeing the move from a logical standpoint and realize that the moves that preceded it were the most detrimental to the franchise's future.

BTW: You can hardly fine a move in the history of the league that was worse than the Herschel Walker trade.

You're right, in that signing Romo to the extension wasn't a bad move as to the contract itself, he's making what a QB of his caliber should. What's killing us, is like you said, is all the really bad contracts the last few years.