• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

impact of changes to roster

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It looks like a mass exodus and a major dumpster fire going on right now... but what about the impact of the changes? Maybe not so bad?

Frank Gore - locker room leader but he's 31, and he's lost a step. Indy/Philly will end up overpaying. I'm surprised there's such strong demand for him. I'd rather go after Murray or even a CJ Spiller who's a home run threat, or look to the draft for an RB. Pay 7.5M for 2 years to a 31 turning 32 year old RB? Hyde and Hunter will be fine.

Willis retirement - hate to see him leave, but we were fine with Borland and Wilhoite at LB. Bowman might come back in which case we should be fine.

Iupati leaving - run game will suffer, but he was bad at pass protection. Someone said they'd rather pay Boone, I kind of agree because he can be the swing tackle.

Crabtree - good riddance, Torrey Smith >>> Crabtree. Still have Boldin.

Justin Smith - Hopefully he comes back. I think what hurts more here is the combination of Smith and McDonald both leaving. Carradine/Dial/Dockett have to step up. I think we'll be ok.

Skuta - we should be ok we have Lynch

So maybe if anything we are giving up age and depth, but we'll get younger in the process.

It does look real bad on paper though. Looks like a mass exodus from the national media point of view.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
on the DL if Justin Smith retires we have:

Williams, Dorsey, Tony Jerod Eddie, Carradine, Dial, and Dockett. 6 players locked up all who have NFL playing time. We also have last year's rookies: Ramsey and Purcell.

We will probably draft one player for the DL, and I think we will be fine.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Gore - locker room leader but he's 31, and he's lost a step. Indy/Philly will end up overpaying. I'm surprised there's such strong demand for him. I'd rather go after Murray or even a CJ Spiller who's a home run threat, or look to the draft for an RB. Pay 7.5M for 2 years to a 31 turning 32 year old RB? Hyde and Hunter will be fine.

I agree he will have lost a step when it comes to this next year, but I don't see him having lost a step last year. His production is about the same totals, per rush, long, fumbles, and I don't always agree with our decisions to pass instead of run it in last year (TDs drop). He did this while we were starting to pass more and give the rock to his backup RBs. His receiving yards were down in attempts but higher in YPA.

I think any drop, if at all, were play call related or anticipatory moves away from him due to what they think will happen with Father Time.

Frank Gore Stats - ESPN

Father time gets everybody and it will get Gore, but he's been reliable and the drop will happen on the Colts, not here. I agree with the underlined.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a mass exodus and a major dumpster fire going on right now... but what about the impact of the changes? Maybe not so bad?

Willis retirement - hate to see him leave, but we were fine with Borland and Wilhoite at LB. Bowman might come back in which case we should be fine.

Iupati leaving - run game will suffer, but he was bad at pass protection. Someone said they'd rather pay Boone, I kind of agree because he can be the swing tackle.

Crabtree - good riddance, Torrey Smith >>> Crabtree. Still have Boldin.

Justin Smith - Hopefully he comes back. I think what hurts more here is the combination of Smith and McDonald both leaving. Carradine/Dial/Dockett have to step up. I think we'll be ok.

Skuta - we should be ok we have Lynch

So maybe if anything we are giving up age and depth, but we'll get younger in the process.

It does look real bad on paper though. Looks like a mass exodus from the national media point of view.
i would tend to agree about most of your post. the 9ers might be fine with the current talent but where are the leaders,the experienced players to guide these young players? I'm trying real hard to find who will be the leaders of this team as far as players for this next season. Thoughts?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's between the cards and seachickens. Our window is closed

i would tend to agree about most of your post. the 9ers might be fine with the current talent but where are the leaders,the experienced players to guide these young players? I'm trying real hard to find who will be the leaders of this team as far as players for this next season. Thoughts?

Guys that come to mind who can be leaders and get this team fired up are Boldin, Staley, Dockett, Bethea, Davis?, Bowman

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boldin and Staley definitely on offense.

Bethea, Dockett, Bowman on defense if Bowman comes back.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit of a thin list for players that have been on the 9ers' roster for longer than three seasons. Maybe they will be leaders who will step up.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the fact that we also lost our head coach, defensive coordinator, and offensive coordinator (not complaining, just saying).

We're not going to be a good team this year.

However, with that said, these moves are not that bad in the long run. The window was closed so it's good for this team to get younger and start working toward the future. The next long-term investment we need is a young quarterback who isn't borderline retarded, and we need to nail this draft.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN: Baalke: OLB Ahmad Brooks will be on the 49ers this season.”

Not sure if we need a LB if Brooks is gonna stay on the roster.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN: Baalke: OLB Ahmad Brooks will be on the 49ers this season.”

Not sure if we need a LB if Brooks is gonna stay on the roster.

I think Willis retiring saved him. As long as they don't guarantee him a starting job and let the best guy start (Lynch or Brooks) I'm ok with it. Brooks can also play some ILB and having him be a swing guy that can play ILB or OLB isn't a horrible idea. For his salary it is, but having insurance in case Bow isn't fully healthy or Borland can't repeat his rookie year is a good idea.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Baalke's strategy is to collect comp picks for next year.
Holy crap we should have a lot. It's almost like anyone that is replaceable, let the dude walk:

+Gore, Iupati, Culliver, Cox, Skuta (Crabtree will also go somewhere else)

-Torrey Smith (Dockett doesn't count against us because wasn't he cut first?)

Net loss of 5 UFAs. We should have a shitload of picks again in 2016.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree he will have lost a step when it comes to this next year, but I don't see him having lost a step last year. His production is about the same totals, per rush, long, fumbles, and I don't always agree with our decisions to pass instead of run it in last year (TDs drop). He did this while we were starting to pass more and give the rock to his backup RBs. His receiving yards were down in attempts but higher in YPA.

I think any drop, if at all, were play call related or anticipatory moves away from him due to what they think will happen with Father Time.

Frank Gore Stats - ESPN

Father time gets everybody and it will get Gore, but he's been reliable and the drop will happen on the Colts, not here. I agree with the underlined.

Frank's average - and overall numbers - were helped dramatically by his final two games. Those two games alone accounted for 27% of his rushing yards. They also elevated his YPC from 2.9 to 4.3. Now, I don't mean to take anything away from Frank, but I'm also reluctant to put too much stock in two meaningless (for the Niners, at least) late-season games against banged-up opponents.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: leadership, we've got Staley, Boone, Boldin, Vernon, and Kap on offense. That's not bad. A week ago I would have said Miller as well, but that's cloudy now. On D, we've got Dockett, Dorsey, Bowman, Bethea, and I think Reid is ready to really step into a leadership role. Borland will also likely become more vocal as a day-one starter. We'll be fine in that regard. It's the nature of the business, but we've got guys ready to take a step.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank's average - and overall numbers - were helped dramatically by his final two games. Those two games alone accounted for 27% of his rushing yards. They also elevated his YPC from 2.9 to 4.3. Now, I don't mean to take anything away from Frank, but I'm also reluctant to put too much stock in two meaningless (for the Niners, at least) late-season games against banged-up opponents.

Good to know, thanks. I was wondering where people were saying he lost something and hadn't followed the numbers before that. So, I will say that he's capable of doing more if needed, Colts have to figure out how to utilize him and Luck to the maximum - some of that will diminish his overall numbers, but he could be effective, moreso than here, per rush over meaningful games, if used correctly and certainly better than Trent Richardson despite their relative ages.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iupati going to Arizona hurts.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With that contract, Iupati's gonna party like it's 1999. :-)