• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IIHF World Championship: Malkin, Gonchar to play for Russia

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think its about priorities

Canada thinks about wearing speedos at the worlds

and judging from their performance, obviously Russia thought about wearing speedos at the Olympics

There is no way Russians were thinking about speedos. If you recall their losses - they were outcoached in both of them. Even failing way behind in game with Canada they were still trying to no avail.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way Russians were thinking about speedos. If you recall their losses - they were outcoached in both of them. Even failing way behind in game with Canada they were still trying to no avail.

Im joking and what I was truly getting at was that its not an excuse to say the WC dont matter in Canada. Its the truth. They dont really matter. Its about letting young guys go out and skate, have fun and get some team canada experience. If they win ... bonus. By no means am I saying that whoever goes there is getting tanked after the game but they are gonna have their fun because the World Championships arent the be all and end all for Canada like they are for the european nations. They have no real pressure on them. Their arent hoardes of media following them across the pond from Canada to form media scrums around guys in lockerrooms that are 10 deep. Its not best on best when it comes to world tournaments and at the same time there is another thing going on ... the best on best club championships

It is about priorities at this time of year for canadian players. You dont even have to guess what the response would be if you ask all 25 guys on that Cdn roster if they would prefer to be still playing for a Stanley Cup today. Would you get the same response from the Russians?

So > no Stanley Cup playoffs ... time to rest and refresh and take a couple weeks off with your family (its why 18 of the canadians at the worlds are single guys) before ramping it up again in mid July to get ready for next season ... for the cup

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im joking and what I was truly getting at was that its not an excuse to say the WC dont matter in Canada. Its the truth. They dont really matter. Its about letting young guys go out and skate, have fun and get some team canada experience. If they win ... bonus. By no means am I saying that whoever goes there is getting tanked after the game but they are gonna have their fun because the World Championships arent the be all and end all for Canada like they are for the european nations. They have no real pressure on them. Their arent hoardes of media following them across the pond from Canada to form media scrums around guys in lockerrooms that are 10 deep. Its not best on best when it comes to world tournaments and at the same time there is another thing going on ... the best on best club championships

It is about priorities at this time of year for canadian players. You dont even have to guess what the response would be if you ask all 25 guys on that Cdn roster if they would prefer to be still playing for a Stanley Cup today. Would you get the same response from the Russians?

So > no Stanley Cup playoffs ... time to rest and refresh and take a couple weeks off with your family (its why 18 of the canadians at the worlds are single guys) before ramping it up again in mid July to get ready for next season ... for the cup

Great summary! Completely agree.

Canadian kids are growing thinking of Stanley Cup, while European kids are dreaming about Gold medals for their countries. That's where it all starts.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
if you ask me that story sounds like this
a reporter asked if Crosby (or agent Pat Brisson) was going to the Worlds and he told the reporter no and it magically became "Crosby declines invite"

that's exactly what I think happened

very well said. I put this tourney, in order of importance, right above the Spengler Cup.
It would be nice to win, and it's interesting to see guys like Eberle arrive, and worst case scenario i can root for the players on my team (just Mason Raymond this year). But I certainly don't hold my head too high or low if Canada wins or doesn't win. It would suck if they got relegated, because that should never happen with the depth we have - I just expect them to be in the mix.