• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you were Ron for Game 5, two things you would say?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I would tell the team to forget what they think happened last night. We actually lost. Tonight is a do or die, and we don't lose back to back games. Backs against the wall, gotta win tonight or else we have two we have to win in STL.

2) Get Mike Young in the batting cage and tell him to stay in his swing longer. He is opening up too soon and not getting to the outside pitches. Been doing it and getting worse all playoffs. He's opening up too quick, so he has lost power and reach. It looks like he is trying to "flick" the ball to the opposite field. He is a great hitter, stop trying to place the ball and just hit it.

Big, solid win last night but we have to win tonight. I don't want to have to try to win two elimination games in their park.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Make Carpenter throw alot in the early innings. No 1st ball swinging....unless you KNOW you can get a hit / sac fly / etc.

2) Have a come to Jesus meeting with CJ. Smack him on the face a bit... get him pumped up and tell him to #throwstrikes.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Make Carpenter throw alot in the early innings. No 1st ball swinging....unless you KNOW you can get a hit / sac fly / etc.

2) Have a come to Jesus meeting with CJ. Smack him on the face a bit... get him pumped up and tell him to #throwstrikes.

I have the feeling CJ will be better locked in tonight. He seems to do well when he has a "not going to show me up" thing going. Look at what he could do in the reg season when someone else in the rotation was getting red hot.

But a nice little "you screw this up and you will cost yourself about $5M per season from whomever signs you this offseason" talk might help as well.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd make Beltre a part of that prayer meeting. He was swinging at everything thrown last night.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the feeling CJ will be better locked in tonight. He seems to do well when he has a "not going to show me up" thing going. Look at what he could do in the reg season when someone else in the rotation was getting red hot.

But a nice little "you screw this up and you will cost yourself about $5M per season from whomever signs you this offseason" talk might help as well.

hope you are right

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) If you dont pitch well tonight, the entire team will hold you down and shit in your mouth

2) mitch, you've got the night off

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) I would tell the team to forget what they think happened last night. We actually lost. Tonight is a do or die, and we don't lose back to back games. Backs against the wall, gotta win tonight or else we have two we have to win in STL.

2) Get Mike Young in the batting cage and tell him to stay in his swing longer. He is opening up too soon and not getting to the outside pitches. Been doing it and getting worse all playoffs. He's opening up too quick, so he has lost power and reach. It looks like he is trying to "flick" the ball to the opposite field. He is a great hitter, stop trying to place the ball and just hit it.

Big, solid win last night but we have to win tonight. I don't want to have to try to win two elimination games in their park.

Wouldn't call last night a solid win. TEX only had 6 hits itself and if Napoli just looks at Hobbs first pitch ... it could have been a mirror of the Game 2 results.

TEX knows it needs to win tonight ... they lost Game 3. They know the downside of trying to go win two in STL. I don't see Wash talking to Young about him opening up early ... although you are right he is. He's been doing that for about 10 years when he gets too quick and starts flicking his bat through the strike zone.

You didn't offer this subject ... but here are my thoughts on tonight's lineup. Wash should start Gentry in CF, Hamilton in LF, Young at 1b, and Murphy at DH. Torrealba is 1/8 against Carpenter lifetime ... and Chavez is 2/16. Murphy is 0/2 but has seen him now. Far as I'm concerned Torrealba doesn't get another start rest of the post season. I have zero faith in him calling a game, fielding his position (he should have caught Napoli's throw in Game 3), or at the plate. (How does TEX get rid of him in the offseason? He is a total spare.)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't call last night a solid win. TEX only had 6 hits itself and if Napoli just looks at Hobbs first pitch ... it could have been a mirror of the Game 2 results.

TEX knows it needs to win tonight ... they lost Game 3. They know the downside of trying to go win two in STL. I don't see Wash talking to Young about him opening up early ... although you are right he is. He's been doing that for about 10 years when he gets too quick and starts flicking his bat through the strike zone.

You didn't offer this subject ... but here are my thoughts on tonight's lineup. Wash should start Gentry in CF, Hamilton in LF, Young at 1b, and Murphy at DH. Torrealba is 1/8 against Carpenter lifetime ... and Chavez is 2/16. Murphy is 0/2 but has seen him now. Far as I'm concerned Torrealba doesn't get another start rest of the post season. I have zero faith in him calling a game, fielding his position (he should have caught Napoli's throw in Game 3), or at the plate. (How does TEX get rid of him in the offseason? He is a total spare.)

they keep him because they need a back-up catcher and he's all they got for next year. he will see a lot less time next year especially if they pursue a free agent 1st baseman because that means MY fills the DH role and that leaves Napoli at catcher. Wash likes to give players rest during the season so i expect Torrealba gets time at catcher and maybe DH maybe 30-35 at catcher and maybe 5-10 at DH

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I'd tell CJ to humble thyself, stop over-thinking your pitching, and throw strikes.

2) see #1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

+1 on both counts, especially the smack CJ around part. He certainly walks the walk, but tonight it's put up or shut up time for CJ. He needs to follow Holland's game plan from yesterday and hope he has strong command.

I expect the offense to light up Carpenter tonight. He doesn't look right, and we're due for a big game at home. I thought Murphy should have worked the count against Jackson in the 1st last night. He got a pitch/put a good swing on it, but you have to make that guy throw multiple strikes and feel the pressure of bases loaded on the road and hitter friendly park (though last night there wasn't much of a wind).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

+1 on on MY ..as for your #1 - I don't think this team every gets cocky after a win. They have a swagger about them and understand that tonight is the biggest game of the series to this point and a must win.

robhea67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what a game and yes that was as solid a win you could ask for. Dnt know what game you were watching. 4-0 2 hit shutout not solid?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
+1 on on MY ..as for your #1 - I don't think this team every gets cocky after a win. They have a swagger about them and understand that tonight is the biggest game of the series to this point and a must win.

What year was it the last time before WS Game #5 did a manager or hitting coach take the team's #1 hitter aside and tell him how to fix his swing?

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd tell CJ to play for the now and get his head in the damn game. Most players dream of winning a world series and never get the chance to play in one. This is his second and he needs to make the most of this opportunity. Tell him to work the inside strike zone early in the counts and get ahead of batters and build confidence and let him know that the bullpen is there to help him win if he can avoid hanging balls in the strike zone.

I'd tell Napoli to keep being the fucking man. He's calling a great game and needs to establish rhythm early. He's swinging a big stick as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What year was it the last time before WS Game #5 did a manager or hitting coach take the team's #1 hitter aside and tell him how to fix his swing?

How would you even know if a manager did or not? Besides, teams employ batting coaches for a reason - to help their batters. Based on the stakes, it would serve MY pretty well to get in some extra BP from now until the end of the series. We're not talking about changing a guys batting style or doing anything drastic, but to make a minor adjustment or two and tweak it back to how it is when he's at his best.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) If you dont pitch well tonight, the entire team will hold you down and shit in your mouth

2) mitch, you've got the night off

I think we have to go with Torrealba at DH - he's hit really well! Just make sure NAP is catching the rest of the series.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I didn't mean we get cocky, I mean that we don't lose two in a row. So tell them to act like we got beat last night, and win again.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What year last did Texas win the WS?

Point is, I don't care how it has been done in the past....just win!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, I didn't mean we get cocky, I mean that we don't lose two in a row. So tell them to act like we got beat last night, and win again.

Gotcha! Agreed if we do win tonight that means, STL is probably in trouble since the Rangers are great at rebounding with a win after a loss (if we lose again).