• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you think the Packers D is not improved the Mystery Man on D will show you wrong

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have not seen much in the preseason games as it was all being saved for Sunday afternoon but there had been rumors of using a healthy Neal who is not suspended and who has been through all of the OTA's and training camp. Neal has lost wait with a specific diet and will be used in a multiple of ways.

Here is a good read on what we can most likely expect to see on Sunday which is quite different than his previous play. It is a longer article so recommend that you click the link provided to read all the information provided.

Mike Neal the unknown menace for Packers' defense

Mike Neal the unknown menace for Packers' defense

I'm pretty sure looking down the roster, they're not that worried about No.96," Neal said. "They saw me play last year a little bit inside doing my thing, but I'm pretty sure at the end of the day, they're not too worried about me. They've got bigger things to worry about on our defense."

Probably. But heading into the season opener, Mike Neal is a "mystery man," a "secret weapon" the Green Bay Packers will use in some fashion. Off the edge at outside linebacker, the 6-foot-3, 275-pound Neal may be the Packers' counter of creativity. Last year, the San Francisco 49ers Tasered the Packers with the read option.

As talk of the 49ers' unpredictability reaches a fever pitch, Green Bay has a dose of unpredictability itself in Neal. Somehow, he's a part of the plan.

"I'm a mystery man to everybody. That's cool with me," Neal said. "I'll continue to be a mystery man and when I make the plays, I make the plays. I just need to do my job."

This career tainted by injuries — a shoulder in 2010, a knee in 2011 — quietly rebounded late last season. Neal had 4.5 sacks in 11 games. He was disruptive. More importantly, the former second-round pick stayed healthy. So after the Packers drafted defensive end Datone Jones in the first round, they decided to experiment with Neal's explosiveness. At outside linebacker, they reasoned, maybe the raw power would flourish.

Neal shed 25 pounds on a steady diet of fish and eggs — "no carbs," he says — and conditioned 3-4 times a day.

The first padded practice as an edge rusher was everything Green Bay could have hope. With a jarring punch, the 26-year-old who bench-pressed 500-plus pounds in college hinted that he'd be a threat standing up. He's able to bend at the waist easier; he gets a running start.

In gaining speed, flexibility the position demands, Neal does not believe he compromised strength.
"I can still generate that power and explosiveness coming off of one step, two steps and being able to get separation," Neal said. "I'm just a little bit smaller."

The Packers have been coy on Neal's role. Last week, defensive line coach Mike Trgovac raved about Neal's pass-rushing ability. In nickel packages, he could remain a down lineman, shooting gaps. Green Bay will not want him exposed in coverage. Maybe he's in a three-point stance one play, standing up the next.

Five years in, Clay Matthews still needs a running mate at outside linebacker. Biting his tongue, he noted that defenses — just like offenses — start the season with "unscouted" looks, too. And the Packers do have a few new wrinkles for the rematch, he added.

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neal did look like a beast but it only matters what he does against the big boys and he has to stay healthy so we'll see what happens.

MajorPackersFan

Boycott CBS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked what I saw from them against Seattle. They sacked Wilson four times, with one of them being negated by an offensive holding call. On one of those plays, the Seahawks were actually playing with six offensive linemen, and the Packers blew the play up pretty easily.

The Packers D finished 11th last year in both points and yards. I fully expect them to be top ten this year, with a top five spot being attainable. If they stay healthy, they will surprise a lot of people. Obviously, health is the key factor here.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going against the best offensive line in football week 1 will be a good test. I think the Dline will be much improved assuming they stay healthy of course. They have a much better rotation this year. I think Daniels being in his second year showed improvement and a lot of fire. I expect to see a lot more of him this year. Jolly surprised the hell out of me and though I still don't think he provides a good consistent pass rush, I think he adds a ton to that line in the run D and in attitude. I think using Neal to his strengths and picking spots to use him will result in a lot of production in terms of pressures and sacks for the entire D.

I think one of the coaches mentioned it earlier, and I can see it too. When you have a lot of different combinations of guys on the field up front, most of those guys now can beat a lot of one on one matchups consistently. We didn't have that before. We had one, maybe 2 that could and it was a lot easier to block that. When you have 5 or 7 guys up front that can, the pressures and sacks are going to happen.