• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Wisconsin wins out, 1 seed?

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming RPI of all their opponents stay as they are now, and B1G standings stay as they are now. Winning out would add wins @Iowa, and (assuming top seeded teams win in the B1G tourney) against Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan. At that point our resume would be:

Record: 29-5
Current RPI: 5
Current SOS: 2
Projected Last 10: 10-0

vs. RPI top 25: 8-2
vs. RPI top 50: 11-3
vs. RPI top 100: 18-4
vs. RPI 101+: 11-1

We would also be 6-0 at this point in neutral court games, including wins against St. Louis, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Michigan. Neutral court wins over St. Johns and West Virginia are nothing to scoff at either.

The only concern with making us a 1 seed would be the 2 bad losses, @Indiana and to Northwestern at home. While there isn't really any excuse for the Northwestern loss, the Indiana loss was on the road in a tough place to play, and I think the good wins would more than make up for the rough 2 week stretch (lost 5 out of 6 from 1/14 thru 2/1) we went through in the middle of the season.

Assuming Syracuse and Wichita St. get 1 seeds (which I think they will), do you think the committee would see this resume as more impressive than a 3 loss Florida, 3 loss Arizona, 5 loss Duke, 2 loss SDSU, 6 loss Kansas? Or would we be on the top of the 2 line?

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming RPI of all their opponents stay as they are now, and B1G standings stay as they are now. Winning out would add wins @Iowa, and (assuming top seeded teams win in the B1G tourney) against Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan. At that point our resume would be:

Record: 29-5
Current RPI: 5
Current SOS: 2
Projected Last 10: 10-0

vs. RPI top 25: 8-2
vs. RPI top 50: 11-3
vs. RPI top 100: 18-4
vs. RPI 101+: 11-1

We would also be 6-0 at this point in neutral court games, including wins against St. Louis, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Michigan. Neutral court wins over St. Johns and West Virginia are nothing to scoff at either.

The only concern with making us a 1 seed would be the 2 bad losses, @Indiana and to Northwestern at home. While there isn't really any excuse for the Northwestern loss, the Indiana loss was on the road in a tough place to play, and I think the good wins would more than make up for the rough 2 week stretch (lost 5 out of 6 from 1/14 thru 2/1) we went through in the middle of the season.

Assuming Syracuse and Wichita St. get 1 seeds (which I think they will), do you think the committee would see this resume as more impressive than a 3 loss Florida, 3 loss Arizona, 5 loss Duke, 2 loss SDSU, 6 loss Kansas? Or would we be on the top of the 2 line?

no, but yes to the SDSU and Kansas...

but, no offense, you aren't good enough to win out. I think the only teams that win out from this moment are WSU (almost all but a guarantee) and Florida (no guarantee as they haven't been playing too well lately, the SEC is just so bad that it's tough to imagine them losing a game).

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on what other teams do. If Syracuse, Florida, Wichita St and Zona all were to win out as well Wisconsin would be on the outside looking in IMO. I actually think the most vulnerable team to drop off the 1 line may be Syracuse. No doubt they'll have the best collection of wins but I can't see them getting a 1 if those teams all win out as well(not that I think that will happen) Although I do think Florida and Wichita St will win out.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on what other teams do. If Syracuse, Florida, Wichita St and Zona all were to win out as well Wisconsin would be on the outside looking in IMO. I actually think the most vulnerable team to drop off the 1 line may be Syracuse. No doubt they'll have the best collection of wins but I can't see them getting a 1 if those teams all win out as well(not that I think that will happen) Although I do think Florida and Wichita St will win out.

samesies!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also in your hypothetical scenario I think Wisconsin would get a 1 seed over a 3 loss Zona, and 5 loss Duke. 3 loss Florida and 6 loss KU I still think get taken before Wisconsin.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, but yes to the SDSU and Kansas...

but, no offense, you aren't good enough to win out. I think the only teams that win out from this moment are WSU (almost all but a guarantee) and Florida (no guarantee as they haven't been playing too well lately, the SEC is just so bad that it's tough to imagine them losing a game).

None taken. I wasn't saying that I think it'll happen, it's just interesting to think about. And we did already go through an equally tough schedule early in the year (Fla, SLU, @UVA, Iowa) and started 16-0. So it's not impossible.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only have 2 losses and hold our own destiny. The UK game is in Gainesville to end the season... the the SEC tourney. Florida could easily drop a game somewhere along the way... but odds say we could run the table given how weak the SEC is this year (Mississippi has the potential to get hot... and UK is always scary with that talent... but outside that not sure I see anyone being able to challenge other then Mizz in the SEC tourney)

At this point, anything can happen...

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also in your hypothetical scenario I think Wisconsin would get a 1 seed over a 3 loss Zona, and 5 loss Duke. 3 loss Florida and 6 loss KU I still think get taken before Wisconsin.

Yeah, the good news for Florida is almost all the sports community now is giving us credit for having a full roster with no injuries or suspensions.. and now the addition of Walker who is better every game. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "...Florida hasn't lost a game since getting their full compliment of players back..." ... so those kind of things will go into the final determination.

So, I think Florida needs to drop 2 more games for Wisky to jump them IF they go undefeated (i.e. 4 loss Florida). I am just interested to see if Wisky can close things out... B1G is tough but also very unpredictable. Mich and Mich St are some tough teams to be ranked that low... right there with Kentucky... I wouldn't want to play any of them early in the tourney.

But Finney-Smith who was suspended to start the season but is now coming off the bench for us has been the biggest shocker all year... guy is an all around player. VT fans have to be upset the school let him slip away... he would be the leading scorer and start for most teams in this country. Hope he sticks around....

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None taken. I wasn't saying that I think it'll happen, it's just interesting to think about. And we did already go through an equally tough schedule early in the year (Fla, SLU, @UVA, Iowa) and started 16-0. So it's not impossible.

:laugh3:

one doesn't count because they have, what, 0 good wins? the other doesn't count because they had, what, 1/3 of their team in street clothes?

ok well the second one counts, but they were not nearly the team they could have been at that point in the season, not because of development but because of personnel

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wisky wins out I think they are a lock one seed actually. There isnt a team in the country that would have their caliber of wins. Combine that with a great SOS and I dont see anyway 4 other teams have a better resume than the Badgers at years end. Of course Bucky is going to get shit stomped Saturday making this convo irrelevant but its nice to hypothesize for a minute :)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with milia. I don't see any way they don't get a 1 if they win out.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Wisconsin is playing as well as any team in the country and it won't surprise me to see them win out and have a war with a healthy Michigan State in the B10 tournament. If that team wins out, they will have played a very strong schedule and are deserving to be a 1 seed. Either Duke or Syracuse will also be a 1 seed, but not both. Depends on Saturday's game. Wichita St will probably win out and be a 1 seen, even in spite of a very weak schedule. Florida will probably end up a 2 seed because, IMO, we will not win out. Florida has a lock on the SEC championship and Florida has a need to get a lot more minutes for Chris Walker. As SEC Official stated Finney Smith has been a great addition to our team coming off the bench and I think Billy D. wants to get him more time in there as well. Really think the SEC tournament is secondary to a deep run in the NCAA and IMO, Billy D. wants to make sure there are no injuries and the players are well rested. I suspect Florida will be satisfied with a NR 2 seed and go from there.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's crazy about this year is that there are 2 conferences (B1G, Big 12) that are head and shoulders above the rest, and each of these conferences may not have a 1 seed among them.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's crazy about this year is that there are 2 conferences (B1G, Big 12) that are head and shoulders above the rest, and each of these conferences may not have a 1 seed among them.

P12 is pretty deep too IMO. They dont have as many top 20 type teams as the B12 or the B10 but they are LOADED with teams in the top 50 range. I wouldnt quite put the P12 on the level of the other 2 but its closer than people think.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"head and shoulders???? You are doing some serious drugs. Sorry; The ACC still is the best conference. Lots of Big10 homers on here IMO. I like Wisconsin and a healthy Michigan State....the rest have no shot at an elite 8 finish. ACC; Syracuse, Duke, Virginia and maybe North Carolina are all better teams than the two I mentioned above.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"head and shoulders???? You are doing some serious drugs. Sorry; The ACC still is the best conference. Lots of Big10 homers on here IMO. I like Wisconsin and a healthy Michigan State....the rest have no shot at an elite 8 finish. ACC; Syracuse, Duke, Virginia and maybe North Carolina are all better teams than the two I mentioned above.

So you'll put UVA and UNC over a Michigan or an Iowa? I'd like to see those matchups now that we are talking about it

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you'll put UVA and UNC over a Michigan or an Iowa? I'd like to see those matchups now that we are talking about it

Virginia, yes...north Carolina, maybe. We shall see if virginia is any good real soon.....at any rate, I really think head and shoulders was a rediculous statement... we really don, t know which conference is best because every team is playiny in conference. Do you really think tennessee is great just because they beat virginia by 30 points early in the season?

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia, yes...north Carolina, maybe. We shall see if virginia is any good real soon.....at any rate, I really think head and shoulders was a rediculous statement... we really don, t know which conference is best because every team is playiny in conference. Do you really think tennessee is great just because they beat virginia by 30 points early in the season?

I don't know how anyone can tell...all I know is conference basketball is ridiculously tough no matter what league except the SEC (just kidding!)