• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we lose the series.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't get CJ, I like the idea of going after Shields. Hell, I like the idea of going after him even if we do. But the point is we need to resign the same quality pitcher as CJ, whether that be CJ himself or not.

Here's the thing. Everyone is bitching about CJ's postseason record, and rightfully so. I think we have a right to expect more of him. But, now a bunch of idiots are making knee-jerk reactions and saying let him walk. Here's the problem, you have to have someone who can step in and replace his regular season production. CJ has a very high likelyhood of replicating his production, and I expect improvement as this is only his second year as a starter.

I think Holland will be fine next year, as will Harrison. Ogando and Lewis are question marks. Ogando was unstoppable when no one knew anything about him. Then they caught on. If he learns to really pitch and develop at least one if not two secondary pitches he should be nails next season. However, no one really knows how next season will go for him. Lewis is nearing the end of his career. Will he be serviceable? I think so, but we could easily see him start trending downward. People want to compare CJ's "ace" status to Halladay, Verlander, Lee etc. His numbers we ver respectable in comparison, but for Christ's sake people. You are talking about a 2nd year starter with super low mileage on his arm in his early 30's. I really have a feeling if we let him walk we will be sorry. Should we pay him 22-25 mil a year on a 5-7 year deal? No, but I think the club would be smart to give him 15-19 mil a year with some extra incentives and options. Otherwise, you have to go after CC, Shields, or Buehrle and risk getting into a bidding war over someone who has not proven they can pitch at RBIA like CJ can.

Are you willing to give Hamburger, Perez and a couple of other minor league players to get him? because Tampa is willing to trade him but they're going to expect a high return for him

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is 31 years old and it's just as easy to assume we have seen his top end as to assume that the Rangers are going to get another 16 win season from him or that we automatically go from 16 wins to 0 if we lose him. After all, in the last month we have gone from giving him a blank check as an ace to he sucks in the post season and he's a #2 at best. Giving him a long term deal assumes he's going to transition to another Kenny Rogers...without the Kenny Rogers control? What kind of pitcher is he going to be in a year or two when he can't 91 or 92 mph any more. Might be something to think about.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm sorry but a step back is expecting a kid to step in and give you 9 wins when he has minimal or no experience facing ML talent. if you have 4 quality starters you might go with a kid at #5 but Holland, Ogando, Harrison & Colby are not those quality starters. in a year or 2 Holland, Ogando & Harrison may reach that level, Colby is always going to be what we're getting from him now. i would expect to see about what we got from these 4 again next year. that leaves approximately 34-35 starts that you would put into a kid's hands. if you are going to be satisfied with 9 wins during those starts then be prepared for a drop in wins to below 85-90 wins and probably a 2nd place finish in the west.

You originally said that CC, Buehle, and Oswalt were your options in case TEX doesn't resign CJ.

1. Not sure how you would be able to sign CC if you weren't able to sign CJU.

2. Buehrle ... I'd have to think about as a possibility.

3. No way should Roy Oswalt be considered an alternative to CJ. If you are going after Oswalt (who was PHL #5) ... he's only a #5 for TEX ... in which case there are several prospects who together should be given their shot to get 9 wins ... rather than some guy who will be gone by the ASB.

Would rather see TEX sign Webb to the same deal he got last year ... contingent to him being on the roster on 1 May than go after Oswalt. Buehrle might be an option actually.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
CJ is easily a number 2 in my opinion. Is he an ace? Not right now. They guy is still pretty green as a SP though. Tough to go off of Weaver's contract since he clearly gave LAA the hometown discount. Also, everyone else seems to be ingoring the possibility that pitching CJ every 5th day down the stretch may have just tired him out some. It is a possiblity worth considering. I didn't think he looked quite as sharp in his last 3 regular season starts or so.

Would like to Keep CJ if all Possible. His Post Season Performance may of driven his price down which would give the Rangers a better chance of retaining him. Has been a starter for only two seasons. Still Very Green. If CJ walks it would be a lot to replace. Last night CJ walked the tightrope and kept the Cardinals to 2 Runs and kept the Rangers in the game. CJ didn't get the win but most impoortant, Carpenter didn't beat the Rangers either.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You originally said that CC, Buehle, and Oswalt were your options in case TEX doesn't resign CJ.

1. Not sure how you would be able to sign CC if you weren't able to sign CJU.

2. Buehrle ... I'd have to think about as a possibility.

3. No way should Roy Oswalt be considered an alternative to CJ. If you are going after Oswalt (who was PHL #5) ... he's only a #5 for TEX ... in which case there are several prospects who together should be given their shot to get 9 wins ... rather than some guy who will be gone by the ASB.

Would rather see TEX sign Webb to the same deal he got last year ... contingent to him being on the roster on 1 May than go after Oswalt. Buehrle might be an option actually.

of the pitcher that are available or could be available i listed the best 3. Buehrle would be the most desired and i mentioned CC because he may opt out of his contract which may mean he wants out of NY. and maybe a team like Texas with its great upside might attract him. Oswalt has a great record but personally i'd rather keep CJ and maybe pick up Oswalt as a replacement for Colby. Colby has a good post-season record but him being prone to the homeruns and a barely .500 record makes him the weak link in our rotation.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
of the pitcher that are available or could be available i listed the best 3. Buehrle would be the most desired and i mentioned CC because he may opt out of his contract which may mean he wants out of NY. and maybe a team like Texas with its great upside might attract him. Oswalt has a great record but personally i'd rather keep CJ and maybe pick up Oswalt as a replacement for Colby. Colby has a good post-season record but him being prone to the homeruns and a barely .500 record makes him the weak link in our rotation.

Scotty ... see my post in the other thread. If TEX doesn't have the money to resign CJ ... then where is it going to find the money to sign CC ... IF he opts out of his deal with NYY?

Have been meaning to bring this up ... but how is CC even available. According to https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dExKaHRyU2J1ZEN1THltdTFfbEFwcUE&output=html
he isn't a free agent until 2016? What am I missing?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... see my post in the other thread. If TEX doesn't have the money to resign CJ ... then where is it going to find the money to sign CC ... IF he opts out of his deal with NYY?

Have been meaning to bring this up ... but how is CC even available. According to https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dExKaHRyU2J1ZEN1THltdTFfbEFwcUE&output=html
he isn't a free agent until 2016? What am I missing?

I don't think it is a matter of having the money to sign CJ, but to determine whether they feel they should give him whatever he happens to be asking. It's not about not having the money, but whether he will be worth what he is asking.

Also, CC is strongly hinting at opting out of his contract with NYY.