• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If this isn't a royal crock, I don't know what is.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I heard something vague about this last week. That policy is bullshit. Like being laid off from a job, but you still have to attend meetings in case you ever get re-hired. And all that for a little weed (unconfirmed)? :lame:

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer this stays murky, the more it looks like bullshit.

:gaah:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the policy is structured is bullshit.

Doesnt change the fact that he knew that he was on his third strike.

I do think he has à solid case in court, but that wont make à différence as far as the Hawks are concerned.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the policy is structured is bullshit.

Doesnt change the fact that he knew that he was on his third strike.

I do think he has à solid case in court, but that wont make à différence as far as the Hawks are concerned.

I do think the Seahawks are just going to move on from Browner, but they have surprised me in the pass.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think the Seahawks are just going to move on from Browner, but they have surprised me in the pass.

The way Pete is talking I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks sign both of them. I think it will boil down to the monetary size of the contract and if he feels Browner is still a capable LOB starter (Pete knows WT3 is an up and comer).

Many in the media ect. are slamming Pete for not being more of a disciplinarian but I don't think he gives a shit about that. His focus is on the Lombardi.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still his fault for putting himself in that position to begin with. If you're already in the program, why even do it?

BeastHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still his fault for putting himself in that position to begin with. If you're already in the program, why even do it?

That's just it. According to Browner, he didn't fail a UA and didn't do anything wrong. The article I posted speculates that he didn't show up for a UA while he was playing in the CFL. Which means he wasn't under any contractual obligation to show up for any type of NFL mandated drug testing. Ergo, this whole thing pure, unadulterated bullshit.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it. According to Browner, he didn't fail a UA and didn't do anything wrong. The article I posted speculates that he didn't show up for a UA while he was playing in the CFL. Which means he wasn't under any contractual obligation to show up for any type of NFL mandated drug testing. Ergo, this whole thing pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Browner is claiming that he didn't test positive FOR PEDS, not that he did not fail a test.

He knew damn well that he was looking at his third strike when he failed this one. Yes, the first strike was bullshit, but that doesn't change the fact that it was on the books and he knew the consequences.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was put in the substance abuse program, meaning he KNEW that he'll be subject to frequent testings. He KNEW that he was down to his last strike after being suspended 4-games for PED's. Yet he claim that he didn't do anything wrong? He must be very bright.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Cloud on this one. Browner could have avoided this whole thing if he'd just not done the things that ultimately got him suspended (PEDs or smoked weed, take your pick). If this was the legal system and he got three strikes, it wouldn't matter if his first strike came seven years ago and the other two strikes came in the last two years. Three strikes is three strikes. Frankly, all of these guys are lucky that it's not a "one strike and you're out" policy. He knew the rules and whether he was confident that he could get another NFL job or not, he knew that if he didn't follow those rules at the time that he would just be making it harder on himself down the line if he ever violated the rules again.

BeastHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browner is claiming that he didn't test positive FOR PEDS, not that he did not fail a test.

He knew damn well that he was looking at his third strike when he failed this one. Yes, the first strike was bullshit, but that doesn't change the fact that it was on the books and he knew the consequences.

He stated that he didn't test positive for any banned substances.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stated that he didn't test positive for any banned substances.

Link on where he said he didn't test positive for any banned substances? According to his twitter account he said he didn't test positive for PED, which was 100% true as the NFL have a NON-PED and a PED POLICY. Browner's 1 year ban fell under the non-PED policy, that was similar to Walter Thurmond. The non-PED policy is substance abuse related, which he was put into all the way back when he was playing for the Denver Broncos!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on his third strike?

that's like a batter going to the plate and having 2 strikes on him all ready.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on his third strike?

To hit a homerun all he has to do is not smoke weed or do other drugs. Not exactly a tough at bat, don't feel the least bit sorry for him or any other NFL player that uses banned substances or does stupid stuff like drive drunk. I can get if a player is trying to make a team or earn a big contract to be set for life (not saying I condone PED use but I understand it), but the other stuff is just selfish.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on his third strike?

Yes, that's pretty much the case for Browner. He was mostly on Stage 2 already after being suspended for 4 games last season. He needed to stay clean, show up to all the testing requirements for 24 months or 2 full seasons for him to be dropped. His positive testing for substance abuse this year moved him to stage 3 and a 1 year ban.

Walter Thurmond is also now on stage 2 after he accepted the suspension as well. What this also meant was that he was put on the substance abuse program before but he didn't received any disciplinary actions from the league unless he violated again, which he did and received the 4 game suspension.

The players should know full well what they're getting into once they're into the program because they've been warned before not to do it again.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that's pretty much the case for Browner. He was mostly on Stage 2 already after being suspended for 4 games last season. He needed to stay clean, show up to all the testing requirements for 24 months or 2 full seasons for him to be dropped. His positive testing for substance abuse this year moved him to stage 3 and a 1 year ban.

Walter Thurmond is also now on stage 2 after he accepted the suspension as well. What this also meant was that he was put on the substance abuse program before but he didn't received any disciplinary actions from the league unless he violated again, which he did and received the 4 game suspension.

The players should know full well what they're getting into once they're into the program because they've been warned before not to do it again.

Exactly. If, for some reason, it doesn't sink in before the player gets popped and entered into the program, the player should then have absolutely no excuse for his stupidity if he gets caught again. First and foremost, I'm pretty sure it's written into every contract a player signs what the illegal substance policy is and what the consequences are for each violation of that policy. Assuming it is, if a player's agent is any good at his job, he'll make sure to highlight that portion of the contract to make sure his client knows about it. If those things don't bring it to the player's attention, the rookie symposium will.

Each player should be well aware of it before he even has a chance to be put into the program for violating it the first time. If he isn't, or he didn't bother to pay attention, getting popped that first time and getting put into is really the last opportunity the player has to claim ignorance. After that, if he keeps violating the policy, he's just an idiot who clearly values whichever drug he's on more than his teammates, his organization and, frankly, his own career and everything that comes with that.

It's like getting pulled over after getting your license and being let off with a warning. You really should have known that what you got pulled over for was wrong, but in case in hadn't sunk in yet, getting pulled over was your last chance to claim ignorance before the consequences started kicking in. You do anything to get yourself pulled over after that, you're just an idiot or you have such a big ego that you think you're untouchable.

In Browner's case, even if he didn't know that his violation last year was a stage two violation that would get him 4 games until after he got busted, because he thought that being out of the league for several years wiped his record clean, I'm sure several people made it abundantly clear at that appeals hearing that his next violation, if it occurred within the time-frame where a stage 2 violation could become a stage 3 violation with another positive test, would result in a 1-year suspension.

Assuming that his pending 1-year suspension is for another positive test and not a delayed punishment for his skipping out on his obligations after getting busted the first time (he should have had to make up for that when he first re-entered the league), he's just an idiot who had several opportunities to learn the policy and the consequences of violating that policy and did it anyway. Guys dumb enough to test positive often enough to get a 1-year ban in a program where the punishments ramp up the more times he violates it are going to do it again when their latest suspension is over (assuming a team gives him another chance to play when he does get back from his suspension), because they've already decided that their substance of choice is more important than getting paid to play football.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe the way he got into stage 3 was a bit shady but the simple solution is not to do what you're not supposing to be doing in the first place.

So I don't feel sorry for him because all he had to do was not smoke weed.

I know if it was me and a check with a lot of zeros behind it was at stake I wouldn't be doing anything that could jeopardize that.

And if you're at a point that you can't stop yourself from doing it than you need to get yourself some help

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some where that Browner entered the substance abuse program the first time, not because he got popped, but as a volunteer who wanted to address a drug problem. Now that may not be the case, but it's a rumor I read somewhere.
I found a link to this.

The backstory on Brandon Browner's suspension - Seattle Seattle Seahawks | Examiner.com

"Per Clayton's source, when Browner signed with Denver as an undrafted rookie in 2005, he came in with some substance-abuse questions and was placed in the program for testing and/or treatment."

That does change things a bit for Browner IMO. Not sure that it matters to the Seahawks .